Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Played Innisbrook today (South course). Great day out there. Sadly, after today they are closed until May or June (can't remember).

The trap on this hole (#7) snakes back and forth all the way to the green. The green is back by the orange house. I drove the ball just before this trap (my ball right there at bottom). Ended up par after a sweet iron shot over that mess and to the center of green. Woot.

upload_2020-3-23_16-11-50.png

Played Innisbrook today (South course). Great day out there. Sadly, after today they are closed until May or June (can't remember).

The trap on this hole (#7) snakes back and forth all the way to the green. The green is back by the orange house. I drove the ball just before this trap (my ball right there at bottom). Ended up par after a sweet iron shot over that mess and to the center of green. Woot.

View attachment 672459

Woot woot!

Heres what I am doing to stay sharp. First and foremost, stance and alignment. Pretty cool my front doors and windows have a perfect reflection that I can use. I also use the brick patio tuck point and driveway expansion points for there parallel lines. Honestly, most people I see have terrible alignment. Terrible.

This is one of the most critical lessons in golf and is first and foremost. Always hear the pros talk about the "fundamentals" these are them. Perhaps easy for some to get, to me fundamentals mean the inner workings of putting a wrestling hold on someone. But yeah the fundamentals. This is the one lesson you should pay for if you haven't. Heres what I work on. I get on railroad tracks so to speak parallel lines one for body, shoulders hips feet knees and one for ball target. I use a chip of brick for ball, always have or imagine ball. Pennick wrote that in his book and stressed it vehemently. Practice with a ball.

So I get stacked. Stand upright, get into stance, stand upright, check, back off repeat, etc. This is critical because I have a lot more control over setup than swing in motion. You hear this time and again you put yourself in a position to win. The hips shoulders feet all parallel to body line, target line. Then right foot exactly and I mean exactly perpendicular. Haha, Ben Hogan wrote in his book when a guy gets up with both feet flared he didnt know if the guy was going to hit it right or left handed. Left foot slightly flared. Heres Tiger who is always solid. Jack looks a little more flare so comfort is key to for sure. I found a still from his video worth noting.

In Jacks picture he is setup to his a cut obviously and I was going to say from here the slightest adjustment open I use for hitting a cut, and closed for a more draw stance. Super subtle but big results. These are the things I am working on. Sorry to ramble on and apologies for those who already know all this. I am just scratching the surface here. Next stance and grip. If you dont mind or want Ill share later what I work on there. Other than that I am swinging an orange whip and momentous.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200327-231037_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200327-231037_Google.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200327-231055_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200327-231055_Google.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200327-231153_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200327-231153_Google.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20200327-231419_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200327-231419_Google.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 9
Courses are closed here. I'm finally healed enough to start getting my swing together but no range to practice at. I might take some shag balls and a wedge down to the baseball field nobody uses and start on the short game. Probably what I should start with anyway. Haven't golfed or swung a club since late June/early July IIRC.

As they say in Florida, "If I get the corona , I get the corona!"

Jelly, we're land locked. Front yard thing wore off quickly. Have fun for those who can't!

As they say in Florida, "If I get the corona , I get the corona!"

Jelly, we're land locked. Front yard thing wore off quickly. Have fun for those who can't!

Well, it's just me and my boy (who's stuck home when college closed). So I don't think I'm exposing myself much there. I'm probably a LOT more isolated than most people, working from home and all.

What coarse is that? Looks kind of familiar.

Agree it's sad to have an empty golf course in good weather.

Brew on :mug:

Cedarcrest. It's the muni here in Marysville. Par 70. Red, white, and blue tees. Relatively short but still fun, has a decent restaurant. A few years ago Premier was contracted to run it. I liked it better when the city ran it.

http://cedarcrestgc.com/-course

Cedarcrest. It's the muni here in Marysville. Par 70. Red, white, and blue tees. Relatively short but still fun, has a decent restaurant. A few years ago Premier was contracted to run it. I liked it better when the city ran it.

http://cedarcrestgc.com/-course
Not one I have played, but looks nice. How are the fairways and greens?

Not one I have played, but looks nice. How are the fairways and greens?

Haven't played it for over a year. I had a membership at another course last year and haven't played any golf since my hip went out in late June. I'm finally healed up enough to play but the courses are closed.

The last time I played it was March 2019 with winter rules and I was disgusted with the pin setting. They weren't rolling the hole flat after cutting a new hole. Make the perfect putt that should fall in on the high side of the hole and it hits the little left over pucker berm and rolls away, arrrg! As long as it's dry the fairways are in good shape and well kept.

Others have told me that they were taking better care once the full season started. It's a very popular course in the summer, I wouldn't even think about playing on a weekend due to all the backups.

I usually play it a few times a year, maybe 5. I have friends who absolutely love the course.

I was looking for videos of leadbetter on stance and came across something I wanted to share. Now I cant remember well anyways, I figured it was better to have it from him than me. I only follow Butch Harmon, leadbetter, Dr. Wiren etc..figure might as well take tips from the best. But great time to work on stance.

Got my Jim McClean drill book out. It was under bed. I enjoyed reading it. He is a hell of a teacher and I feel like he is connected to old ways. Fomt like all the drills, but love many of them
Havent done them really, never really done many golf drills. Figured hitting the ball was the drill. I didnt get good at football and wrestling till I mastered the drills. So, I want to work these drills. If nothing else figure just having the club in my hands a lot will help.

I have an orange whip and momentous. Never liked the momentus but do like the orange whip. I need to check Pennicks book as he talks a lot about sliw motion swings in it. I have been doing that with the weighted club. Taking it back well (I could expand if desired, but square and on plane). Then bringing it up, feeling a stretch. This is a drill in McCleans book to. Making sure laser coming out of hole in butt ( :) ) would point at target line. Then shifting, rotating, turning, club dropping, butt pointed at line, back to parallel now club back to pointing at line and the hit. Flat left wrist and what I am working on is full extension of arms through hit. Haha, dont knownif it will help, but better than nothing.

Mccleans 20 drill. He says 2x a day morning and night and golfer will notice dramatic differences. I beleive him, faq I am lazy though. Swing full in succession 20 hard swings in a row. I love this. I have coached competitive sports for over ten years and know this is true. Trust me. You teach how to throw by having kids throw as hard as they can. You cant do it wrong. The body machine will produce the proper motion. (Its also why you teach throwing and catching independently). Its unlikely a youths partner can catch their hardest throw. This limits the full and proper motion. Sry Im in the weeds now. Like this drill.

I also like holding the club on my chest with arms folded and making turns. Just doing some work. Anyone got some good drills to share?

Last edited:
Haven't played it for over a year. I had a membership at another course last year and haven't played any golf since my hip went out in late June. I'm finally healed up enough to play but the courses are closed.

The last time I played it was March 2019 with winter rules and I was disgusted with the pin setting. They weren't rolling the hole flat after cutting a new hole. Make the perfect putt that should fall in on the high side of the hole and it hits the little left over pucker berm and rolls away, arrrg! As long as it's dry the fairways are in good shape and well kept.

Others have told me that they were taking better care once the full season started. It's a very popular course in the summer, I wouldn't even think about playing on a weekend due to all the backups.

I usually play it a few times a year, maybe 5. I have friends who absolutely love the course.
Thats right. Pehls talks about it in his book. He called it the lumpy doughnut. This part of his book stuck with me more than anything else. He built a machine to make putts and had a hell of a time calibrating it on a pool table. Turns out balls weren't quite perfect. This has gotten better. Once he got it calibrated he took it out to tour events. The calibrated machine only made something like 70 percent of putts when setup on a green! Strangely it made iirc 40 percent in the afternoon. So late day playing or at my muni cups that never move have lumpy dougnuts around them. I liken them to volcanoes.

Pehls measured a single 4 some following up and found iirc that the average 4 some left 500 foot prints on the green. Heres the kicker, most were by the hole. And whats more they are all perfectly around it because dont step on the hole right. Almost seems like it would be better if we stepped on hole? Anyways he found some putts couldnt be made with the machine. And some couldnt be missed. I took from it that damn putting is hard, now I have an excuse for my s..y putting.

I liken them to volcanoes.

That's the term I use "volcano hole".

The course I had a membership at had fantastic greens. I was usually first out on weekdays as a single and got to know all the ground crew pretty well. Every other day they were rolling the greens. When the pin was moved they had a small hand roller, almost like a rolling pin to go over the hole and make sure it was level.

Thats awesome. What went well?

Putting and chipping from < 100y is mostly regulation now. There was a period of a couple of months that I changed my putting grip and stance, but that was a mistake.

I've posted my chipper/putter club here before (my kids call it my grandpa chipper, or "gipper"). It lets me one-putt a lot when I'm 10y or less from the green. I'm very accurate with it. I'd say that one club has saved my 5 putts a round. I know a lot of guys are deadly with the pitching wedge, lob, or 8i, but I tend to shank or blade those a lot, but not when I use the gipper.

upload_2019-6-18_11-37-9-png.631756

Putting and chipping from < 100y is mostly regulation now. There was a period of a couple of months that I changed my putting grip and stance, but that was a mistake.

I've posted my chipper/putter club here before (my kids call it my grandpa chipper, or "gipper"). It lets me one-putt a lot when I'm 10y or less from the green. I'm very accurate with it. I'd say that one club has saved my 5 putts a round. I know a lot of guys are deadly with the pitching wedge, lob, or 8i, but I tend to shank or blade those a lot, but not when I use the gipper.

Thats awesome, I want to try one. Haha, come to think of it I played a lot of golf with a guy who had one. He was good with it. 40 yards out sure. He only got in trouble when it wasnt right for the situation.

You're one of those guys! All kidding aside if it works for you it works.

Chipping from right off the green is one of things that takes more thought than is usually given. For me a bump and run with a short or even mid iron works better than a wedge. However, I often forget that and try to fly most of the way with a wedge when I don't have to. It's all good until I stub the sole into the ground and only move the ball a few inches or blade it right off the green.

If I had a dedicated club like your chipper I'd probably be more inclined to use it exclusively when just off the green with nothing in the way.

Hope to play arrowhead. Only private owned courses are open. But walking only, called they are sold out th, f, s. Hope it snows, Ill go out in it. Less people!

Have you guys seen that hit mat that the club scrapes showing, basically critical data. I want one! Its acustrike mat iirc. You hit and it shows the swipe across the mat. Face and path can be seen. I knew I was on to something looking at my swipes in snow. Problem is all good shots are right, I dont need it to tell me the swing or shot sucked. The feedback on great shots. Guess what, perfect, duh. Idk, I still want one! I bought one of those shaft analyzers, Ill share that some other time but short of it. It didnt stay put. The butt ones work I think.

I think I need a lob wedge or something like that. There are greens that I find impossible to chip onto - balls roll right off the other side. Bump and run doesn't work if you're chipping over a bunker, and a lot of the Florida greens are protected by bunkers. I'll chip just over the bunker, but thar she goes, down the other side of the green. Bite!

Not really sure how to play that shot with the clubs I have. Pros seem to be able to lob it and even get it to roll back to them, but that's magic I don't have.

Managed to get some wedge practice in the backyard. I have a net on a hoop thingy that I try to fly the ball into from about 40-50'.

Didn't do too bad considering I haven't had a club in my hand since late last June. Direction was good, misses were mostly a touch long, right or both, wouldn't of mattered much on a green. That was with a 54 degree. I'll take the 58 out today but it's scary to use anywhere but off a tee, for a full shot, or in the sand. I seem to blade as many as I hit well with that club when not going all out. I wish I knew more about sole grinds for wedge use.

I think I need a lob wedge or something like that. There are greens that I find impossible to chip onto - balls roll right off the other side. Bump and run doesn't work if you're chipping over a bunker, and a lot of the Florida greens are protected by bunkers. I'll chip just over the bunker, but thar she goes, down the other side of the green. Bite!

Not really sure how to play that shot with the clubs I have. Pros seem to be able to lob it and even get it to roll back to them, but that's magic I don't have.

You need to get one of those 72 degree wedges. Flop that bad boy over anything. :)

You are describing be short sided. A shot over a bunker that is going to run away spells bogey, even for a pro. Although they have a way better chance and a tour pro even better. Also I didnt mention it but alluded to it, but this was and is the situation the chipper struggles. Still a good safe chip is better than a duff into a bunker.

Important, learn where these spots are on your course and avoid them. This is the next step in lower scores too. But yeah sure a lob will work better than a chip. I got one for low bounce and also for a full swing 70 yard shot. I like 58. I see many playing with that and I like it. Two wedges if not 3 you need. Our ground is firm here in summer and I like the lower bounce. Either way chip it on and take a bogey, when your short sided thats the way it goes. Head to the next tee and sail one down the center.

You need to play lofted pitch shot with some touch. A chip shot is a play when you know you'll get some check or you're chipping uphill form a short distance. Pitch shot will get it up in the air....doesn't have to be a flop, just slightly bigger swing curve with a more lofted club. Low 60s will treat you well

You need to play lofted pitch shot with some touch. A chip shot is a play when you know you'll get some check or you're chipping uphill form a short distance. Pitch shot will get it up in the air....doesn't have to be a flop, just slightly bigger swing curve with a more lofted club. Low 60s will treat you well

Coincidentally, I found a 60° on the fringe of the 17th hole yesterday, so I practiced a bit with it. I'm getting one. (I left the club in the pro shop as the group ahead of us was long gone by then).

I slammed some other dude's ball off the course and into the water when he hit onto our green while we were still playing it. They were less than 100 yds away and must have clearly seen us on the #1 green. Groups were staged 15 min apart, but they decided to go early and push our foursome right away. I was getting ready to chip onto the green (my son was standing in the middle of it) and here comes a ball, bounced off the green and right near me. I took my gipper and chipped it into a swampy area near us - I was pizzed.

Anyway, otherwise fun afternoon out there with boys and neighbor.
upload_2020-4-15_8-17-28.png

Rumor has it that at least one course isn't open but has a donation box and doesn't stop people from walking on.

I can walk my dogs, go to the store for groceries, go to the liquor store, go to a restaurant for take out, buy a new car, even go to a weed store if that was my thing. But I can't golf or even go to a driving range.

I didn't realize the courses around here are open because of I have been buried with work in tax season; tee time Thursday...I'll get some pics. Gonna be ugly. Haven't played or practiced in months.

Back