Lost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still hooked, haven't missed an episode yet. Things I still want to know:

1) what the heck is the smoke thing?
2) how come Richard Alpert doesn't age?
3) who or what is Jacob?
4) who built the temple and the huge statue and when?
5) how did the others/hostiles get there and when?
6) what really happened to Claire?
7) are the writers making up the story line as they go?

I'm looking forward to the 2 hour season finale tonight.

Dude, everyone has those questions. :D

They are clearly not making it up as they go because things in the first episodes are only now being detailed.

The statue, temple and cave with hieroglyphs are apparently an ancient civilization, and perhaps constructed by the Others, who say they have been there a long time and this is their island. The Others clearly age, however, the British accents of the whiz's mom and dad do seem out of character with the rest of the Others, and the genius of the whiz, does lend some question of being a hybrid.

Locke seems to recently tuned-in, and now knows how things are set up, as he has become the leader of the Others.

The whole thing of amazing healing properties, revival from the dead, appearances of dead people who have not been to the island, seemingly ageless Richard, magnetic powers of the island, 'movements' of the island, the Smoke, Jacob, disappearance of Claire, coupled with the statement of 'It's not an island, it's a Place' by Locke, bring me to believe that is is either of divine involvement or extraterrestrial origin, because this **** ain't normal. :D

There is a theory that all the story stuff is just fluff and the real story is just the Island; that it's all about just 'the Island'.

me and husband are addicted to the show!!! driving me crazy having to wait we downloaded all 5 seasons up to this last one that plays tonight and cant stand the anticipation of having to wait for it to come on tv!!! and then having to wait a year for the 6th season!! i still have way to many questions to have to wait a year becouse i highly doubt they can answer them tonight!

It gets more interesting. Kind of thought John would be dead all along.

So, Jacob and the other guy on the beach, in 1800's clothes, cynically talking about the tall sailing ship coming to exploit a new land, so seemingly in the last century as though they were timeless, then Jacob personally visiting and appearing to the Six thru the 60's, 70's and on thru the current time period, although he doesn't age either, like Richard, the two guys on the beach hating each other and the nameless one vowing to murder Jacob when he could.

It reminds me of the two fallen angels in 'Dogma'.

The nameless one shapeshifting to look like John Locke, having convinced Ben to kill Jacob, and Jacob not even defending himself, but when dying, looking slightly up saying 'they're coming'.

The Statue appearing as an Egyptian Alligator faced god, in later times, after the statue has fallen and only the 4-toed foot in an ancient sandal, where Jacob lives.

Casting, story line, character development, scenery, plot, it has it all.

This is the best TV series I have ever seen. ;)

I agree. And in case no one looked it up, Richard (or Ricardus) 's answer translates to either "He/that which protects us" or "He/that which we serve."

It gets more interesting. Kind of thought John would be dead all along.

That was obvious with the episode "Dead is Dead". My guess is that Locke is the smoke monster is Jacob's nemesis. That's the "loophole" Jacob referred to.

My dvr didn't record the first 20 minutes last nite, and satellite went out for last 30 ! I missed a lot !

i agree that it has some kind of biblical undertones and jacob is some sort of angel of death, or life or something like that. locke is dead, jacob's nemesis has taken the form of locke, that explains why he knows so much about the island. jacob obviously likes humans and wants to understand them(via his acceptance of the ship, his building of the statue, and the weaving of the tapestry) his rival hates or dosent want to accept humans and dislikes them abusing the island. jack, kate, and that whole group have the complete wrong idea about the island and at this point i think they are irrelevant to understand what is going on. the real story is ben, locke, richard, and jacob.

and to answer the question about richard alpert. there are theories that he was the ship captain from the old sailing vessel (he was building a ship in a bottle, a popular past time of ship captains during the 16th and 17th century, and the ship he was building looked familiar to the one off the island) and as stated in the show jacob gave him the gift of being ageless.

Back