Looking to buy new kegs. Choices. Choices.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a couple of kegs to supplement my brewing. I've bought used kegs in the past and had no issues with them. However, it seems that the supply of used kegs is drying up while the quality has gone down.

So, I want some opinions of the 2 major suppliers of these new kegs. The choices seem to be from AIH which are Chinese manufactured, but priced nicely. And then there is AEB (Italy) kegs from places like MoreBeer. The AEB ones seem to be better quality with superior welds, but cost more.

Who has tried both of these? Preferences?

Also, are the parts truly interchangeable with used kegs?

I have both, and would buy more AIH kegs when the time comes.
The AEB are not that much better.

I have no experience w/ the kegs you note, but I do have Torpedo Kegs from Morebeer. I have...5 or 6 of them, can't recall w/o consulting my keezer. :) They also have the two different 5-gallon form factors, one similar to pinlock (though the kegs are all ball-lock), and the other taller and skinnier. I have both; the shorter ones fit on the compressor hump so I can get 6 or possibly even 7 kegs in my 7 cu ft. keezer.

The ones that only have a single handle on the top perplex me. It's easy to drop a keg into my keezer using both handles on top; no way to easily lift it in and down.

I've got a bunch of the AIH kegs. They're well made, they don't leak, and all the parts interchange. They get my vote.

Seems like there are still plenty of used kegs around, but recently I did buy new torpedo kegs in the 2.5 gal size. They are great for taking to a party and will fit in a standard fridge. I also like them for doing smaller experimental batches. The downside is that they are the same price as new 5 gallon kegs.
Note that internet retailers like Northern Brewer and More beer run sales and specials all the time, so keep your eyes open for a deal.

another happy torpedo customer here. I have three 2.5 gal torpedoes . Got mine from more beer. no complaints so far

madscientist, filled my 1.75 gal cannonball with a local micro from the growler station and took to a party this summer, tapped with a CO2 cartridge. Was a nice compliment to the obligatory bud light keg for the non- BMC attendees. I'll certainly plan small batch brews around gatherings going forward.

So, I guess it comes down to the AIH keg or the Torpedo from morebeer.com. I can rule out the AIH (Italy) ones since they don't seem to offer anything more.

Looking at the dimensions of these the AIH keg is 25" X 8-1/2". Is that the standard size for ball lock kegs? I can't recall.

The Slimline Torpedo is 24-3/4" X 8-5/16". Smaller in both dimensions which I like to help ease space in my keezer. Reviews of this keg seem to indicate issues with sealing the large opening. Anyone experience this?

Cheers!

I have the Torpedo and I had a hard time sealing it. I called MoreBeer and they recommended leaving the cover on loose and then sealing it with co2. Since then I haven’t had a problem.

I also had AIH kegs (when I did 2.5 gallon batches) and they were nice. My issue and it’s very small was the black rubber. Especially when cleaning the rubber would rub black marks on the counter or floor. It would come off but when I upgraded to 5 gallon kegs the Torpedoes just appealed to me and were actually cheaper.

Good points here.

I too seal with C02, rest the cap, purge, let it find it's natural seat, then clamp it on.

And I use all slimline, I get 3 kegs in my 5cf keezer, 2 on tap and 1 in the wings. It's great, I could do that with standard kegs.

So, I guess it comes down to the AIH keg or the Torpedo from morebeer.com. I can rule out the AIH (Italy) ones since they don't seem to offer anything more.

Looking at the dimensions of these the AIH keg is 25" X 8-1/2". Is that the standard size for ball lock kegs? I can't recall.

The Slimline Torpedo is 24-3/4" X 8-5/16". Smaller in both dimensions which I like to help ease space in my keezer. Reviews of this keg seem to indicate issues with sealing the large opening. Anyone experience this?

Cheers!

AIH still has them and they are $75/ea which is a great deal for a new keg. Just to throw another one at you, ritebrew has the single-handled ones for $69. I have both and if you're concerned about size, I would choose the AIH over the ritebrew because the latter is slightly larger. I can squeeze 4 of the AIH ones in my keezer but I have to put one on the hump with the ritebrew ones.

one of my few regrets in home brewing is buying used corny kegs. between the initial cleaning, and all the fscking replacement parts, random poppet leaks, etc, I've wasted a lot of time and nearly lost some batches of beer for what amounts to a grand total of a couple hundred dollars over my vast keg collection.

better yet, i wish i would have bought a pallet of brand new sanke kegs and skipped corny kegs all together.

I've never bought the AIH kegs, but i own 5 AEB kegs and they are all immaculate.

AIH still has them and they are $75/ea which is a great deal for a new keg. Just to throw another one at you, ritebrew has the single-handled ones for $69. I have both and if you're concerned about size, I would choose the AIH over the ritebrew because the latter is slightly larger. I can squeeze 4 of the AIH ones in my keezer but I have to put one on the hump with the ritebrew ones.

I like the two handled ones and $75 is close to what used kegs are selling for. I measured my current used kegs and they are 25" X 8-1/2" which is the same size as AIH ones. So, I think it's a "go" for the AIH kegs as long as all parts are interchangeable with my standard used kegs.

Cheers!

As I noted, I have a number of these. I've never had an issue with the mouth and lid sealing. My most recent purchase of the slimline torpedoes was in June, and they are both fine.

I'd buy 'em again, and will if and when. Frankly, if I could find someone locally to take my other traditional corny kegs off my hands for $50 per, I'd put the money toward new torpedoes.

one of my few regrets in home brewing is buying used corny kegs. between the initial cleaning, and all the fscking replacement parts, random poppet leaks, etc, I've wasted a lot of time and nearly lost some batches of beer for what amounts to a grand total of a couple hundred dollars over my vast keg collection.

better yet, i wish i would have bought a pallet of brand new sanke kegs and skipped corny kegs all together.
This^^^^

Back