Experiences with tapping keg directly via QD+faucet combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
wondering if there's some recent experiences /opinions on the direct keg tapping solutions out there. i'm talking about this more or less-
Corny-Keg-Faucet-Fits-624x468.jpg

kegland had some flow control QDs they brought out a while back, seemed to get poor reviews, and were discontinuted. the folks who combined them with faucet to tap directly off the keg seemed to have mixed to poor reviews, unsurprisingly. that was back in '20/'21 from what i'm finding here in older threads. now it looks like kegland has new design for flow control QDs which are plastic, but most of what i've found is folks using them with tubing lines, not this sort of direct keg tap.

there's also the new(er) nukatap flow control faucets. so that would pair with a shank style QD, to put the FC on the faucet instead. between the two FC scenarios im partial to the FC faucet as it seems to me like a better place to put the FC than inside your QD. that's just a gut feeling though, no actual experience to cite.

anyone utilized one of these newer/updated product combos? would love to get the damn tubing lines out of the keezer....

They only have 2 uses... with flow control faucets to dispense beer fir direct consumption, or with a counterpressure bottle filler for bottling from the keg

Otherwise they just pour foam

They only have 2 uses... with flow control faucets to dispense beer fir direct consumption, or with a counterpressure bottle filler for bottling from the keg

Otherwise they just pour foam
Not following you here, which piece you referring to?

edit- you referring to the QDs with FC? as in you'd use them AND a flow control faucet together?

Last edited:
Not following you here, which piece you referring to?

edit- you referring to the QDs with FC? as in you'd use them AND a flow control faucet together?
I only connect a faucet directly to a keg if it's a flow control faucet. I've never used a flow control QD, so no experience there.

I only connect a faucet directly to a keg if it's a flow control faucet. I've never used a flow control QD, so no experience there.
Gotcha. Ok, now i understand. What parts/pieces do you use? Good/okay/bad?

is that something specific to the perlicks? Or was the flow control not cutting it with a “direct to tap” setup?
IDK if it specific to Perlick. The flow control shuttle would interfere with a ‘normal’ adapter.

Gotcha. Ok, now i understand. What parts/pieces do you use? Good/okay/bad?
I use a regular faucet with a flair tailpiece i bought from morebeer, so it literally just screws directly onto the QD.

It works ok, i prefer an old fashioned party tap.

It works really well with my tapcooler counterpresssure filler though.

got it. im in same boat, party taps work fine. just have a smallish keezer and putting more than two kegs in there, plus a few cans of this/that/etc and it becomes a real mess. hence the hope for a good "direct tap" method/combo.

Back