Looking for Information on Yeast Attentuation Rates, Flocculation, Etc...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to school myself about the Yeasties that we use in our Brews. After being a Home Brewer for more years then I'd like to admit, my recent step to All Grain has really brought out my OCD;) So, I want to start understanding my Yeast. Hence, Attentuation rates. I have seen people on this board quote attention rates, and with those rates, they can then say that the Fermentation is done. I need to learn that. So where would you send a guy to learn everything he needs to know about his Yeasties? Book, Internet, Pod Cast, what ever works for me.

Yep, if you're looking for the numbers, specific attenuation rates and such for a specific yeast, the manufacturers sight is the best source. If you want some audio yeast info there are these interviews from the brewing network:
White Labs 8-12-07
White Labs 8-20-06
White Labs 1-22-06
Wyeast 07-09-06

Also Basic Brewing Radio has done a number of interviews and episodes on yeast. The 3 part interview with Dave Logsdon from Wyeast is a really good primer.

If you want a textbook on yeast handling the First Steps in Yeast Culture by Pierre Rajotte is excellent.

I've got a spread sheet that lists most of the different strains and information about them. If you or anyone else would like a copy, PM me and I will e-mail the file to you. I have it in Excel or Word. The Excel version is better because it can be sorted.

Thanks for the replies, but I am looking more for an education on Yeast. How to figure out when the fermentation is done by using the Attentuation numbers. Exactly what is Attentuation? What is Flocculation? Things of that nature. I have found a promising Pod Cast, but now I am trying to figure out how to download it onto my Mac.:(

Try going through itunes and searching for the podcast there.

RLinNH said:
Thanks for the replies, but I am looking more for an education on Yeast. How to figure out when the fermentation is done by using the Attentuation numbers. Exactly what is Attentuation? What is Flocculation? Things of that nature. I have found a promising Pod Cast, but now I am trying to figure out how to download it onto my Mac.:(

Latest posts

Back