Looking for good 5-6 gallon stainless stock pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesecake

Reaction score
Well its time to downgrade my equipment to do smaller all grain batches. im looking for a 5-6 gallon stock pot to add a element to to make it electric. So i can brew 2.5 - 3 gallon all grain batches. I haven't been able to find sturdy 5 gallon pots locally. Im wondering what you have? and how sturdy it is?

I have an 11 gallon Bayou Classic stainless kettle that is like a rock. I would have to imagine that the smaller ones are even more rigid. Cheers!

Bayou classics! amazon has some on sale once in a while.
AND, even if you downsize batches do not downsize the kettle... I would keep it large but brew small.
There might be that day where you want to brew a double batch and then you are stuck with small kettle volume.

I already have a 10 gallon electric pot that I've been brewing with for 2 years. I just want a specific pot for smaller batches and the 2000 watt element won't boil more then 5 gallons. And I guess ill check amazon for the pots

well pending on the height on your element in the existing pot - it might sit too high for small batches; mine is covered at 3gal level in the kegI wouldn't change anything. Just brew smaller batches in it.
I have a 15 gal keg with 2X1500w elements and did batches with 13.5 preboil with no problems.

My current pot the element is too high and it takes way too much space. I'm going to get all the large batch stuff in the garage so if I need it I have it. I still want to brew and not have to lug everything across a parking lot and up 3 flights of stairs

Bayou classic pots are great because they are tall and narrow. only 14" diameter so even with a small batch you have some depth.

If you want a good quality 12-100 qt gallon stockpot with a 3 ply bottom search the internet for "action sales" you will have to call them to get a price, these people are a restaurant supply store and they are cheaper than anybody on amazon. For example 60 qt $133, 80 qt $157, 100 qt $207. They are located in California so shipping may cost you some money. These stockpots are the same heavy duty stockpots that morebeer sells, but WITHOUT the 1/2" threaded couplers welded to them. When you do a search on their site use the search "stock pot", if you use the search term stockpot you will not get any returns. You do not want a price for a Volrath or a Polarware, these are very high in price.

dgc2656 said:
If you want a good quality 12-100 qt gallon stockpot with a 3 ply bottom search the internet for "action sales" you will have to call them to get a price, these people are a restaurant supply store and they are cheaper than anybody on amazon. e.

Thus you brew electric you don't have to bother about the bottom I.e. sandwich or multiple layers etc..
What about the existing pot and just move the element lower?

I'm trying to make the footprint smaller with all my equipment. And the 10 gallon pot I have is too wide the element is about as low as I can get it.

Back