Looking for an ale yeast substitute for Wyeast 2035 American Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Swmbo wants me to make a clone of the Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager but I don't have the set up for doing lagers yet. Thus, I found the clone recipe below and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation of an ale yeast I could use that might work well.

9 lbs 2-Row
0.5 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Cara-Pils
0.5 oz Pearl at 60 min.
1.0 oz Saaz at 60 min.
1.0 oz Saaz at 5 min.
Wyeast 2035 American Lager

I tried searching online but couldn't find much info. I was thinking of trying one of these yeast below but have not made this style before so I thought I better ask for advice first. The closest LHBS is about 110 miles away so all I have to work with is this forum and a NB flyer. The temp in a basement can stay around 66 F during the summer.

Possible substitutes I had been thinking of:
Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Wyeast 2112 California Lager
US-05 Dry yeast
White Labs 001 California Ale
White Labs 060 American Ale Blend

Thanks for any input you might have.:ban:

US-05 would be my choice, because that is what I have.

Then White Labs 051 Californina Ale V, or Wyeast 2112 and ferment on the cool side of 60 - 63 degrees.

Based upon simply a SWAG!!

If you have the ability to ferment cooler, 62-65, and I would recommed WLP007 German ale yeast. I've been brewing alot of kolsch lately, and that seems to leave a crisp, lager like characteristic. The Wyeast kolsch strain, if your a Wyeast guy, is not comparable. the White labs strain has a terrible sulfur smell during fermentation, but once the yeast begin to drop it goes away. The wyeast version of kolsch doesnt smell bad during ferment, but takes literally months to clear. The WLP007 would be my first vote. Fermenting nottingham dry ale yeast at cooler temps (~60) I have found to give a lager like characteristic.

Yeasts that I have tried that do not leave lager like characteristics/do not function at cooler temps to produce the characteristics you need (disclaimer, this is based off only on my experience, yours may vary depending on pitching rates, temp fluctuations, etc)
WLP001 when i fermented below 64 it wanted to floc out and quit
Wyeast 1274 (cal ale V) stalled at 1.018 when fermented at 64

I have no experience with the california lager yeasts.
Hope that helps.

Good to know about the White Labs versus the Wyeast. There is a local liquer store that carries some basic HBS and has some WL strains so I might be ab;e to get the WLP007 strain.

Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Back