Looking for Amazing Oatmeal Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewed one last weekend
OG 1.051

10lb 2 row
4lb flaked oats
2lb crystal 60
1.75lb chc malt
1.5lb roasted barley

UK goldings to 40 IBU's

10 gallon batch

i have a recipe at home that was a kit put together by a LHBS in boston when i was visiting there (not a commercial kit, mind you). It came out fantastic and was seriously one of the better oatmeal stouts i've ever had.

I'll post it on here when i get home later. I highly recommend it and will be making it myself again.

ya there are lol but im sure not everyone post there recipes there thx alot

I guess I'm just wasting my time posting my recipes in the database, and looking in there for recipes, then? :D

We really work hard to make the database useful. I hate reposting the same recipe over and over, so I only put mine in the database. It's a great resource for solid, proven recipes.

(My favorite oatmeal stout recipe is Jamil's, not my own).

ok here is that stout recipe i have. Which we could really post in the recipe forum since it is tried and true...

Oatmeal Stout
5gal
SG 1.048-1.052
FG 1.010-1.012

6.6lb dark lme
8oz black malt
8oz chocolate malt
8oz crystal 60L
1lb flaked oats
1oz cascade pellets (60 min)
0.5oz cascade pellets (45 min)
1tsp irish moss (15 min)
2 tsp amaylase
WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

grains in muslin bag, oats in another, steep 20min @ 170. bring to boil, add lme and 1oz hops, @15min mark add 0.5oz hops, @45min mark add irish moss, heat off, cool to ~70, pitch yeast and amylase.

Directions paraphrased but directly from the merchant. This is a recipe of the month from beer and wine hobby in boston

I guess I'm just wasting my time posting my recipes in the database, and looking in there for recipes, then? :D

We really work hard to make the database useful. I hate reposting the same recipe over and over, so I only put mine in the database. It's a great resource for solid, proven recipes.

(My favorite oatmeal stout recipe is Jamil's, not my own).

not at all, ive taken recipes from the database and thats good stuff there man! Sometimes it just doesnt 100% tickle your fancy is all...

and for no good reason other than beer in my digestive system: :fro:

I just brewed this last Saturday:
OG 1.056
Target FG:1.014
IBUs: about 34

For 6 gallons at the end of the boil.
9.5lb Marris Otter
1lb Flaked Oats
.75lb Victory
.75lb Chocolate 350L
.5lb C80L
.5lb Roasted Barley
.25lb Kiln Coffee

1oz Yakima Maganum 13.45% AA 60 minutes

Wyeast 1028 London Ale

It's still fermenting but initial samples have a wonderful coffee/bitter chocolate aroma, nice and smoother with an assertive coffee/chocolate/caramel flavor that's well balanced by the fullness of the oatmeal. The Yakima Magnum is described as giving a spicy, ie cinnamon, black pepper, nutmeg flavor/aroma and it fits very well with this grain bill...hints of cinnamon and nutmeg under the coffee/chocolate/caramel flavors. I may rack off half and oak it with some French Oak cubes.

I will be brewing the Samual Smith Oatmeal Stout clone from Austin Homebrew this weekend. I hope it turns out somewhat close!

Back