Looking for A Recipe (or Idea) Using 1098

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithmd4

Reaction score
I'm feeling very indecisive right now. What do I want to make?

I'm looking to brew something low alcohol to make a yeast cake for a IIPA I want to brew using 1098. Sure I could just make a big ass starter, but I'd rather end up with a beer to drink at the same time and test a new system.

Thinking 4-5% range, otherwise I really don't care. Light or dark, hoppy or not, so long as I can crush a few in the middle of summer.

So what am I making that you love with 1098?

Ordinary Bitter, Pale Ale, possibly Porter if you don't mind the dark. 1098 (or 007) is a great yeast IMO.

I've yet to use 1098. I'm wondering, is it a good top-cropper and does it clear well? I'm a huge fan of 1469, but would like another strain that has the same clearing and cropping abilities, but with a bit more of a neutral finish.

I consider it the 1056 of English yeasts. Chews through pretty much anything, low yeast character, and unlike 1056 it does clear pretty easily. If you treat it right, it will go above the recommended alcohol tolerance as well. I got to 12.5% with a huge slurry on a barleywine.

I've never used 1469 as my other english yeast is 1318. 1098 doesn't hang out for extended periods on top in my experience. When it's done (3-4 days), its done and it drops out. Krausen on 1318 hangs out forever if you let it, but the beer underneath will drop clear.

Ha, no worries. I can talk about either if you want. Bought ingredients today so feel free to hijack.

I decided to make a pale ale I've been wanting to rebrew. Changed the hops and using 1098 instead of 1318. I've been wanting to make something with an english malt and yeast with citrusy american hops. I finally realized after the last batch that I wanted to make SNPA, so making something in the same vein as opposed to a direct clone.

I should also say that there's a pretty big flavor difference between 1098 and 1318.

I often hear people who love English yeast character call 1098 boring. Which if you want a lot of yeast esters it can be. But if you want a workhorse that will devour anything with a touch of flavor, it's great. I've never made a beer with 1056 I liked, so after a few tries with it I switched to this and never looked back. I think its fairly neutral and will showcase whatever you want in the beer so tip it whichever direction you want with hopping.

1318 is what I use when I want soft and fruity with a little mineral character. It accentuates the malt without muddying the hops. Its also less attenuating so you might have a few points left over from the more complex sugars. I haven't pushed 1318 but I want to make a big beer with it and see what it's got to give. Made a Fullers Old Ale that was around 6.5% a while ago. That was a fantastic beer and had a great yeast character.

Back