Looking for a good "Non-Coffee" Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnash

Reaction score
So, I am looking for a good minimal or non-coffee flavor stout recipe.
I've had a few of the Sam Adams Creme Stouts and they are very light coffee flavor (to me at least) and I'm hoping to do something on that general direction maybe?

I have never brewed a stout, but I would like to start doing some occasionally.

Thanks all!

Here's an all grain stout that I've brewed over and over and everybody loves it! It's not dry like an oatmeal, dad says it reminds him of an imperial stout:

5 Gallon All grain
Brewhouse efficiency: 75%-80% DOE
Boil time: 60 min.
Ingredients:
8,5 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter
0.3 lb Chocolat Malt
0.5 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.3 lb Black Patent Malt
0.5 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 60L
0.3 lb Black Barley
1.0 lb Milk Sugar or Lactose
1.0 Oz Mt. Hood Hops
London Ale Pitch able Liquid Yeast

Infusion type, 1 step Mash:
Trub loss 0.5 gal,
equipment loss 0.2 gal
Mash Thickness 1.25 qt/lb
grain temp 70.0 F
Target mash temp 154.0 F
Boiloff 1.0 gal/hr

Total water 6.93 gal
Pre-Boil volume 6.93 gal
Pre Boil gravity 1.049
Strike water 3.52 gal @ 167.4 F
Sparge water 3.41 gal @ 172.6 F

Add strike water to pot, heat to 167.4 F, add to mash tun and rest for 10 min. Mix grains in and allow to mash for 1 hour, check after 30 min for temp of 154.0 F. after one hour, vorlauf until wort runs "clear", add to boil pot, in the mean time, heat sparge water if sparging as infusion, otherwise sparge at 1 gal/12 min 172.6 F. If infusion, let sit for minimum of 10 min, forlauf and again add second runnings to boil pot. Bring wort to boil, add 1 lb Milk Sugar and 1 Oz Mt hood hops for 60 min. after boil, cool wort to aprox. 70.0 F within 20 min. and add wort to fermenter. Check OG it should be 1.057. keep in primary fermenter for 5-7 days or until it is within 3 points of FG: 1.014. Transfer by siphon from top of beer to secondary, allow to clear for another 5-7 days. if bottling add priming sugars and bottle. let set in bottles for up to 4 weeks. if kegging, keg and pressurize with CO2 at a rate of about 8-10PSI over 5 days in below 50.0 F temps. reduce pressure to about 3-5PSI and serve.

Enjoy!
This is a low (26.7 IBU) stout with a color of about 30 (a little on the low end but dark enough)
Estimated ABV is 5.1-6.8

Hope you like it.

Aaron

Latest posts

Back