Looking for a Bells Amber Ale recipe (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
SWMBO loves Bells Amber Ale. When we first started dating we used to go to a pub close to her place that served it. We have now moved to the East Coast and cannot get it.

Anyone have a good recipe for this beer? extract partial boil.

Thanks in advance. My wife will really thank you. (and so will I)

Here's mine:

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 27.4 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

It's all-grain but if you could manage to steep (mash) four pounds of grain we could convert it. One tip- for a PM version we'll reduce some of the crystal. It worked in this recipe because I did a low mash temp, but I wouldn't normally recommend that much crystal in it!

Let me know if you think you could try a PM with 4 pounds of grain (Vienna malt doesn't come in an extract).

Yooper,

Not sure of beergolf, but I would love to see a PM version of your recipe. I think this will be my next brew. Thanks for posting and the recipe.
Redbeard5289

Thanks Yooper...

it may be a little above my ability now. I have only done two brews and have not even tasted them yet. (I learned from this forum to let them sit for longer)

When I get a little more experience I May take you up on your offer. Thanks a lot.

BTW the closest I lived to da Yopp is Petoskey. Just south of the bridge. Spent most of my time in Michigan near AA.

Yooper,

Not sure of beergolf, but I would love to see a PM version of your recipe. I think this will be my next brew. Thanks for posting and the recipe.
Redbeard5289

Sure! I've never done it, but if I was going to I'd do something like this:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 52.94 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 23.53 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
1.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 27.4 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05)

I'd put the Vienna malt and the crystals in a grain bag together, loosely, and put into 6 quarts of 165 degree water. Stir well, wetting all of the grains, and check temperature. You should be between 152-156 degrees. Cover and let sit 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 45 minutes, lift out grain bag and pour 2 gallons of 170 degree water over it. It's easier, if it's in a colander or strainer. Alternatively, you could put the grain bag in a second pot with 2 gallons of 170 degree water in it and stir and dunk the grain bag well. Combine runnings (it should be right around three gallons) and bring to a boil. As soon as you reach a boil, add the first hops. Set the timer for 60 minutes. When there is 15 minutes left, add the DME. Then add the second hops when the timer hits "10 minutes" left, the next hops at 5 minutes, the next at 1 minute, and the last when the timer ends. Chill wort, add to fermenter and top up to 5 gallons. Pitch yeast and ferment at 65-68 degrees for two weeks.

Anyway, that's how I'd do it!

Thanks Yooper...

it may be a little above my ability now. I have only done two brews and have not even tasted them yet. (I learned from this forum to let them sit for longer)

When I get a little more experience I May take you up on your offer. Thanks a lot.

BTW the closest I lived to da Yopp is Petoskey. Just south of the bridge. Spent most of my time in Michigan near AA.

Sure- whenever you want to try it we can help you do it. No problem!

I take back my previous post. That recipe sounds like I can do it.

Still onenof my favorite beers...... but there may be some things other than tase in my opinion...

Yooper
Thanks for the recipes. This will definately be one of my next batches I brew up. Got all the ingredients for a mirroe pond clone and bee cave hause pale ale to brew up Monday and Wednesday before tackle this one.
Thanks again for the recipes. I'll let you know how the PM version turns out.
Redbeard5289

Anyone else have a recipe? I think my curent pot is not big enough to do this....

I am storing this in my memory banks for later...

I can pretty much do 2.5gal boils.

Call me a neceomancer if you must, but I just cracked a bottle of Yooper's recipe, and all I can say is Kudo's to you! This is a really tasty beer!!

Call me a neceomancer if you must, but I just cracked a bottle of Yooper's recipe, and all I can say is Kudo's to you! This is a really tasty beer!!

Somebody "liked" this post, and I just saw this.

Thank you so much for this post. I've been kind of low lately, and you made me smile and feel pretty good. Thank you for that, even though I'm like a year and a half late telling you so.

Sure! I've never done it, but if I was going to I'd do something like this:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 52.94 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 23.53 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
1.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 27.4 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05)

I'd put the Vienna malt and the crystals in a grain bag together, loosely, and put into 6 quarts of 165 degree water. Stir well, wetting all of the grains, and check temperature. You should be between 152-156 degrees. Cover and let sit 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 45 minutes, lift out grain bag and pour 2 gallons of 170 degree water over it. It's easier, if it's in a colander or strainer. Alternatively, you could put the grain bag in a second pot with 2 gallons of 170 degree water in it and stir and dunk the grain bag well. Combine runnings (it should be right around three gallons) and bring to a boil. As soon as you reach a boil, add the first hops. Set the timer for 60 minutes. When there is 15 minutes left, add the DME. Then add the second hops when the timer hits "10 minutes" left, the next hops at 5 minutes, the next at 1 minute, and the last when the timer ends. Chill wort, add to fermenter and top up to 5 gallons. Pitch yeast and ferment at 65-68 degrees for two weeks.

Anyway, that's how I'd do it!

Brewed this a little over a month ago. 3 weeks in the primary, 1 in secondary. Kegged it and after a week in the keg this tastes great. I haven't had Bells amber in a while but I'm going to grab a 6 pack tomorrow and do a side by side comparison.
Thanks Yooper!

Wow ... brings up a memory from when I first started. Thanks Yooper for the support of us newbs . I posted just after I first started brewing and your support made me a big believer in HBT.. I now have almost 200 brews in and I have a recipe that is close to what I was looking for,

Yoopers all grain recipe is pretty good, but I cut the C40 and C80 back to 12 oz each. Use munich instead of Vienna. I also use the hops that Bell's uses. (I know Yopper hates Fuggles). But I use Cascade and Fuggles. For yeast I use harvested Bell's yeast, but 1272 also works well. Ferment on the higher end of the range for a little more fruity taste..

It is strange but I just had one of these tonight....going down to the fridge and getting another to toast this thread.

Yoopers all grain recipe is pretty good, but I cut the C40 and C80 back to 12 oz each. Use munich instead of Vienna. I also use the hops that Bell's uses. (I know Yopper hates Fuggles). But I use Cascade and Fuggles.

This sounds like what I'm looking for as my first all-grain. Could you provide the details on the hops substitution? Thanks.

This sounds like what I'm looking for as my first all-grain. Could you provide the details on the hops substitution? Thanks.

Sure.

This is from Bell's. So this is how I formulated the recipe.

Grain: Mostly 2-row barley malt, a small percentage of Munich, and just enough caramel malt to get 16 SRM color. 14.5 Plato. Mash at a temp to allow moderate fermentability. ABV should be just under 6%.
Hops: Equal amounts of Fuggle and Cascade for bittering and aroma. Aim for 30 IBUs
Yeast: Culture from bottles, or use WLP001.

I use 8 lbs 2 row
2lbs Munich
12 oz C40
12 oz. C 80

So here is what I did with the hops.

12 IBU Cascade at 60 (.5 oz 6.7 AA )

Then 1 oz Cascade at 15
1oz Fuggles at 10
1oz Cascade at 5
1oz Fuggle at flame out.

It is a little hoppier than Bell's Amber But I like it. If you want it closer then cut the other hops back a bit. maybe .5-.75 oz for each addition.

I like WY 1272 fermented a towards the warmer end of the range for this recipe.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm assuming this is for 5 or 5.5 gallon batch.

Back