Long time beer enthusiast, newbie home brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozzer

Reaction score
Just got my beginner's kit last weekend, started with a Brewer's Best Amber Ale extract kit. Brewed Tuesday evening, got my wort/beer in my primary (plastic bucket) and the airlock had lots of activity that's slowed down now. So far, everything looks to be good, even considering all the mistakes I've since discovered I made!

Really looking forward to this new hobby - both the process of doing it and of course the end product!

As I've been doing my best to digest info from books, friends who brew, and misc other sources, I've put together this instruction list. Probably won't get to start my next batch until I've bottled the current one (so, maybe a week and a half to two weeks?), but it'd be great to take the guesswork out of the basic process and focus on enjoyment and experimentation! Any advice, suggestions or interesting brew tales are welcomed!

Just got my beginner's kit last weekend, started with a Brewer's Best Amber Ale extract kit. Brewed Tuesday evening, got my wort/beer in my primary (plastic bucket) and the airlock had lots of activity that's slowed down now. So far, everything looks to be good, even considering all the mistakes I've since discovered I made!

Really looking forward to this new hobby - both the process of doing it and of course the end product!

As I've been doing my best to digest info from books, friends who brew, and misc other sources, I've put together this instruction list. Probably won't get to start my next batch until I've bottled the current one (so, maybe a week and a half to two weeks?), but it'd be great to take the guesswork out of the basic process and focus on enjoyment and experimentation! Any advice, suggestions or interesting brew tales are welcomed!

Your list looks pretty sound to me. I did the same thing (make a checklist) when I first started boating so I wouldn't do something dumb or forget to do something smart like putting the drain plug in before launching the boat.

My only suggestion is that my enjoyment of homebrewing went up greatly, and I liked it a lot already, after I started kegging instead of bottling. Kegging works better with a dedicated cold box (freezer, keezer, fridge, etc.) but I did it for years with only a small jockey box cooler filled with ice and I didn't get any complaints.

Welcome to HBT!

Your list looks pretty sound to me. I did the same thing (make a checklist) when I first started boating so I wouldn't do something dumb or forget to do something smart like putting the drain plug in before launching the boat.

My only suggestion is that my enjoyment of homebrewing went up greatly, and I liked it a lot already, after I started kegging instead of bottling. Kegging works better with a dedicated cold box (freezer, keezer, fridge, etc.) but I did it for years with only a small jockey box cooler filled with ice and I didn't get any complaints.

Welcome to HBT!

Thanks beernutz! Unfortunately, kegging isn't an option at the moment, but once I get space for a dedicated cold box I plan on it.

My first batch has basically stopped bubbling in the airlock, but I think I'm going to leave it in the primary until next weekend. Then the question is, do I buy a secondary and rack it to free up the primary for batch #2, or do I just buy another primary and forget about secondary fermenters altogether for the time being? Leaning toward another primary right now.

Thanks beernutz! Unfortunately, kegging isn't an option at the moment, but once I get space for a dedicated cold box I plan on it.

My first batch has basically stopped bubbling in the airlock, but I think I'm going to leave it in the primary until next weekend. Then the question is, do I buy a secondary and rack it to free up the primary for batch #2, or do I just buy another primary and forget about secondary fermenters altogether for the time being? Leaning toward another primary right now.

I'd lean toward primary only unless you wanted to put something on oak chips or something like that. Primary for 2 weeks, and bottle when the FG is stable and the beer is starting to clear. That's really about it!

Yooper said:
I'd lean toward primary only unless you wanted to put something on oak chips or something like that. Primary for 2 weeks, and bottle when the FG is stable and the beer is starting to clear. That's really about it!

Agreed, except I'd even be fine just adding the oak to primary ;)

Ok, stopped at the HBS yesterday, got a 2nd primary. So I'm fully in the "primary-only" camp, at least for the time being. Also, I took my first hydrometer test yesterday and it appears my beer is at FG, being on the low end of the estimated FG. I drank the test sample, and while I'm sure I have yet to refine my palate, it was quite yummy and had a hint of carbonation (I expected it to be completely flat).

Gonna take a 2nd hydrometer test on Friday, and if it the gravity is the same it'll be bottling time!

Quick question that I don't think really warrants its own thread: if my specialty grains are pre-crushed, are they supposed to be washed before being steeped? I assume the washing of grains is only done before they are crushed, but I want to make sure I wash if appropriate, and if it's not appropriate that the grain flavors aren't getting washed down the drain unnecessarily.

Kozzer said:
Quick question that I don't think really warrants its own thread: if my specialty grains are pre-crushed, are they supposed to be washed before being steeped? I assume the washing of grains is only done before they are crushed, but I want to make sure I wash if appropriate, and if it's not appropriate that the grain flavors aren't getting washed down the drain unnecessarily.

No, just put them in a bag and steep them as is.

Latest posts

Back