Long shank through wall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pnoliphant

Reaction score
I am in the process of trying to figure out the best way to put a tap on my wall in my basement. I was thinking is it possible to run a long shank through sheet rock and directly into fridge. The problem is 4in (the framing depth) will be exposed without refrigeration. Will the prevent the need for air cooling etc? Thanks

You can wrap insulation around the shank and that will reduce the tendency to foam until the shank warms up. If it's inside an enclosed wall (drywall on both sides) then you'll just have to live with it.

I bottle beer off my keezer faucets; I typically run about a half glass of beer through the faucet and growler-filler to cool them down before I start filling bottles. I then drink that beer as part of my mission to provide quality control. :)

4 inches will be about an ounce or so of beer hardly noticeable in your first glass.

I think the issue isn't how much beer, it's how long it takes to warm up that shank so it doesn't promote foam.

As beer warms, the carbonation that is dissolved into solution comes out--cold beer can hold more volumes of CO2 than warm beer. So as the beer flows through a warm shank, it warms, and as it does so, CO2 comes out of solution. In other words, FOAM.

The answer to that is either cool the shank or draw off enough beer such that it cools the shank. Insulating the shank, to the extent that it allows the refrigerator to help cool the shank, will help as well by keeping the shank cooler than it would otherwise be.

Thanks. The wall is only finished on one side so i could insulate the shank. I guess the real question is if there is any advantage to doing a longer shank vs having a short tube from fridge to wall tap again just 4in the depth of the framing.

Back