Lol what will dry yeast do if put in kettle???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
Ok, I hate to admit it but I had sanitized a small bowl of water and cooled it to rehydrate my Notty dry yeast and I went to cut it the pack open right by the stove and instinctively started pouring it in the brew pot as I had just done a hop addition. I probably put in 1/3-1/2 of the pack before realizing what I was doing. Luckily I have a whole other pack of Notty as a backup but I'm wondering what effect a bunch of dead yeast will have, will they just settle out with the trub or are the gonna affect the brew? And if you were wondering I'm not trashed (only 2-3 beers) just retarded.

It will provide nutrients for the live yeast. RDWHAHB.

Correct!

It will actually benefit the yeast with no downside at all except the cost of the yeast packet which isn't a big deal.

Correct!

It will actually benefit the yeast with no downside at all except the cost of the yeast packet which isn't a big deal.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to save old yeast cakes,then, and add them to the boil to provide nutrients? My impression is that a fermentation will yield more than enough yeast for new fermentations. Is there any reason not to save surplus yeast cake in the freezer? I'm in for my first yeast harvest next week, thought that this might be worth considering.

Sure, you just don't need a pile of it. Pour some cake into an ice cube tray and you'll be set for months. One cube will do the trick.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to save old yeast cakes,then, and add them to the boil to provide nutrients? My impression is that a fermentation will yield more than enough yeast for new fermentations. Is there any reason not to save surplus yeast cake in the freezer? I'm in for my first yeast harvest next week, thought that this might be worth considering.

Sure, that would probably work very well. Might even go a step further and put some of the wort and yeast in a jar or flask and let it settle out. Then you could put some in several recycled yeast viles and stow them in the fridge or freezer. The ice cube tray sounds like the simplest way to do it. I use the off the shelf yeast nutrient stuff when I actually remember to put it in the boil.

Back