LOB Alternative To Dry Hopping: Making A Hop Tea or DIY Hop Extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When your talking sour do you need low oxygen methods?
Do I use low oxygen methods to make sour beer?
Yep! I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only guy on the planet doing that.

My only successful low oxygen brew (of 4 attempts) was a gose.
It ruined non-low-oxygen beer for me.

So, question for the LOB folks: What is the latest? Still using hop tea? I saw somewhere on here of a process using high proof spirits to extract the volitiles from the hops and you can either evaporate the alcohol off or use it like a ticture. Has anyone tried this? I have some 120 proof in the freezer. Next time I'm at a HBS I'll get some whole hops to see what I can get. I also think a french press may be a good way of extracting the hops from the sprits.

The addition of (SMB/KMB) sodium or potassium metabisulfates prevents oxygen from staying in a dissolved state that would degrade the malt flavor. - Long Term Protection - during, mash, pre boil and cool down. Only to be removed at/before pitching time.

Curious about removal of SMB / KMB at pitching time. I did not know this chemical substance was removable from the wort, presumably by the addition of some other chemical.

How is that removed? I read I think a fair share of LODO threads and pages but I never came across such a possibility. In fact, sulphite is what holds me from studying this matter further, but a method to remove would certainly reignite my interest.

Oxygen is used to remove it. So you just oxygenate a bit more than you otherwise would at pitching

Thanks, I understand that oxidizes the thing and therefore saturates its oxygen scavenging capabilities, so that the yeast has oxygen for its needs.

But would this method remove all the smell from the beer? Do oxydized sulphites stink less than non-oxydized sulphites?

I was hoping there was some substance who would make the sulphite precipitate at the bottom :(

Thanks, I understand that oxidizes the thing and therefore saturates its oxygen scavenging capabilities, so that the yeast has oxygen for its needs.

But would this method remove all the smell from the beer? Do oxydized sulphites stink less than non-oxydized sulphites?

I was hoping there was some substance who would make the sulphite precipitate at the bottom :(

Sulfites are oxidized to sulfates.

Back