LME vs DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my! Are you ever asking a loaded question (some very heated opinions on the subject). I won't answer it directly, but I would always suggest trying the experiment and make your own decision. Just remember that you will use less DME than you would LME. Reduce by approximately 15-18%.

Recently my extract recipes have been DME, not so much for the twang but for the color and consistency. The down side is 7 lbs of DME is a pain in the ass to mix in.

I prefer DME for several reasons.

1. As a small business owner, I like to give my money to my LHBS. They don't get LME in bulk for rapid turnover. DME stays fresher longer. So I buy DME from my LHBS.

2. DME is far easier to portion out. If I find I need 2 lbs 4 oz of extract, it's a PITA to measure out that quantity of LME. It's a breeze with DME.

That's about it, really.

Cheers,

Bob

I like to use both. Just started using the DME in a 25 min boil for some hop additions,LME can at the end. OG is a little higher this time,but still within my typical range. Imo,good flavor/aroma combinations can be had from using both. Not to mention,colors.

1. As a small business owner, I like to give my money to my LHBS. They don't get LME in bulk for rapid turnover. DME stays fresher longer. So I buy DME from my LHBS.

2. DME is far easier to portion out. If I find I need 2 lbs 4 oz of extract, it's a PITA to measure out that quantity of LME. It's a breeze with DME.

That's about it, really.

Cheers,

Bob

In addition, it's easier to save any leftover DME by closing it airtight with a twisty tie and then in a ziploc bag and storing it in a cool dry place. I use it for starters, so a 3 pound bag will last me quite a long time.

That's about it, really.

Cheers,

Bob

thanks bob.
going to brew your coal porter recipe. (taking the AG leap soon)
sounds yummy.
going to call it 1722 (read that was the year porters were first made)

cheers

Cool! I'm sure Coal Porter will be successful for you.

About 1722 and the genesis of Porter...nobody really knows. Call it whatever you like, of course! Just realize that Coal Porter ain't nothing like a pre-1817 Porter. ;)

Cheers!

Bob

should i convert any recipe im brewing to all Dme to reduce the twang

Getting fresh LME will help with that. As Bob mentioned, buying LME from a LHBS puts you at risk of buying old LME. If that's where you buy your ingredients, then by all means switch to DME.

However if you buy online it's safe to use LME. I buy mine from Northern Brewer, and their LME is always fresh. It's good stuff.

Latest posts

Back