Liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xamanek

Reaction score
With the northern brewer instructions for a lme batch it says 3 days before brewing to activate the wyeast and let it expand; however it also says allow at I least 3 hrs for inflation. Well mine has been inflated all day but I'm scared because the NB instructions say 3 days before. Does the yeast need 3 days or can I use it After the 3 hours it Takes to inflate? Confusing

from what ive been reading you let the package inflate then you grow the yeast for 3 days after that. liquid yeast needs to be grown as there isnt enough cells in the package

Yes I have been waiting 3 days to brew but it only took 6 hours for the package to fully inflate . Thanks 4 the input

I've not heard of letting the package expand for 3 days before pitching. I've heard of making a yeast starter several days in advance of pitching, which is different.

What's the expected OG of the beer you plan to brew? If it's less than 1.060 then I would go ahead and brew now. If it's greater than 1.060 then I would use your expanded pack to make a yeast starter which you can then pitch within the coming days.

3hours is the time from when you activate your yeast until it's ready to use (inflated ). 3 days is time for your starter to be finished, cold crashed( put in fridge for a day or so ), then pour off the clear part. This allows you to just add yeast.
Alternatively you can pitch your starter during high krausen, about 12 -18 hours after you start it. The down side to this is you will be adding the full volume of your starter.
A third choice is to just pitch the yeast directly. The directions on the package say it's good for 5 gallons of up to 1.070 wort.

I believe that older yeast packages can take longer to expand, which is probably why they say three days. While it is true that a single package of liquid yeast doesn’t have the ideal amount of yeast, it will do fine. Consider reading about making yeast starters for future batches, though. A starter isn't necessary for standard gravity beers but it will make your beer better.

The package inflation only shows that the yeast is alive. Sometimes it will not fully swell and there is still nothing wrong. The inner packet is just a little nutrient intended to energize the yeast.

Despite that the package says it is enough to ferment 5 gallons. It is better to make a starter. mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com have good information on starters and pitch rates.

To the question, 3 days is unlikely to be a problem, but a few hours is plenty of time for the package to sit.

from what ive been reading you let the package inflate then you grow the yeast for 3 days after that. liquid yeast needs to be grown as there isnt enough cells in the package

This is wrong, the cell counts will not increase significantly in a smackpack. To do that you must make a starter.

This is wrong, the cell counts will not increase significantly in a smackpack. To do that you must make a starter.

meant after the package expands open it and grow the yeast in a starter, guess i didnt clarify when i said it above but im probably still wrong anyway

Back