Did I Kill My Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee Tee

Reaction score
I spent this morning cooking up 5 gallons of Hazy IPA which I want to use Kveik Voss liquid yeast from Omega. I screwed up the reading on my thermometer and think I have pitched at possibly a little over 120 degrees. There has been no airlock activity in the last 3 hours and I suspect I killed the Kveik. When I've used it before, the lag time has been quite quick. Does anyone know if Kveik can survive being pitched at high temps. I'm thinking of putting another bag of liquid Kveik in there but was hoping for some advice beforehand...

That is pretty high, even for kveik. If you have some on hand, pitch another pack, the first one most likely didn't make it.

That is pretty high, even for kveik. If you have some on hand, pitch another pack, the first one most likely didn't make it.
Thank you for the advice. It's been over 4 hours now and no sign of life. On a similar note, does Kveik yeast ferment quickly in bottle conditioning? I'm thinking of trying keg conditioning for an event, but I only have a week to get it carbonated (I will only use the CO2 to get the beer out of the keg). It wouldn't be enough time for a regular yeast, but maybe ample time for Kveik?

Thank you for the advice. It's been over 4 hours now and no sign of life. On a similar note, does Kveik yeast ferment quickly in bottle conditioning? I'm thinking of trying keg conditioning for an event, but I only have a week to get it carbonated (I will only use the CO2 to get the beer out of the keg). It wouldn't be enough time for a regular yeast, but maybe ample time for Kveik?
If there's enough yeast in the bottle and you keep them warm enough, they will carbonate within days. However, Voss is known to drop out quickly and I've had bottles that wouldn't carbonate for weeks....

If there's enough yeast in the bottle and you keep them warm enough, they will carbonate within days. However, Voss is known to drop out quickly and I've had bottles that wouldn't carbonate for weeks....
I'll be using hornidal kviek... I shall just have to see what happens..

It's been over four hours and there is no sign of life? Is four hours or less typical for you?

Most of us wait for 8 to 18 hours before seeing signs of life.

But certainly if you have more yeast to add, it won't hurt anything to be more certain.

You probably shouldn't see activity in 3 to 4 hours unless your over-pitching. Maybe first signs 4 hours in, but anything before 12 probably isn't something to stress about.

That said, if I pitched that hot, I'd assume it's dead and pitch more. Even for kviet, I'd be very worried that if anything is left it won't be much.

As for carbing it, if it's in a keg, you can force carb it much faster that hoping for the best with letting the yeast do it and then being left disappointed 🤷

Back