Liquid yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spriggan486

Reaction score
For my next batch (AHS Warsteiner Clone) I have a vial of liquid yeast, My question is, Should I refrigerate it? It has been sitting at about 65 degrees for a few days..

When are you planning to use it? If you are not gonna use it, like...today, then yes you should refrigerate it.

I don't know the answer to that. But if your viability is in question, make a starter with the yeast. That will tell you if they are still viable.

Many people recommend doing a yeast starter with liquid yeast anyway (from what I've read here). From my limited experience, I agree. My fermentation was much better after doing a yeast starter.

There are many different ways to make a starter. I have a starter kit from midwest supplies. I follow their directions. 1/2 cup of the light DME to 16 ounces of water into a flask. Then boil for 15 minutes to dissolve the malt. I then cover it with saran wrap and cool it to room temp. I pitch the yeast and top it off with s-type bubbler. I let it go for a few days, shaking often to reaerrate. I then pitch the entire thing into my wort.

Yeah, I have only made Ales so far, and my highest OG was about 1.060. I haven't had the need to do a large starter. That is why I prefaced it to say there are many ways to make a starter. I was hoping someone could give specifics for his recipe.

Back