Liquid yeast packages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xile

Reaction score
Hi guys,

We are getting ready for a Belgium Triple based on the recipe we found at the Brewing Classic Styles. The recipe indicates that we have to use 3 packages of liquid yeast.

There's been a mistake with our ordering and we have got only one package. My question is: What happens if we only use one package? Will the flavour change a lot? Will our fermentation stop earlier and therefore left with too much sugar in our beer?

Thanks for your help,

when are you brewing?

If making traditional starter is an option then I would. use an online yeast pitch calculator like mr malty or brewers friend

If making a regular starter is not an option about 4 hours before you pitch I would make a 500ml starter from 1.040 wort about 4 hours before you pitch. if you don't have a stir plate just give it a shake everytime you walk by it then pitch the yeast when it is starting to foam (krausen)

That would be a serious underpitch. It will likely take a long time to start because the yeast will have to reproduce before they start the fermentation. This will give some off flavors as the yeast will be stressed. With the high gravity and small pitch count you are at more risk of a stalled fermentation. What is even more of a problem than off flavors is the chance that a stalled fermentation might continue after you bottle causing bottle bombs.

You should look into making starters. You would then use one pack of yeast. Some DME and grow your yeast count to numbers sufficient to ferment the beer.

You should make starters for almost any beer when using liquid yeast.

I would make a starter or wait for more yeast.

One package of yeast will be a severe under pitch for a tripel. Under pitching will stress the yeast and cause possible off flavors even if the fermentation could finish. You will need to make a stepped up yeast starter to propagate more cells. These are two good pitch rate/yeast starter calculators.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php
https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

You probably don't have a stir plate so will use the shaken not stirred method. Any large container like a half or one gallon pickle jar will work for this method.

I would triple step a starter with at least 600 billion plus cells as a result, but thats just me thinking off the top of my head. I suggest use a calculator like others have said.

I had to make a starter to pitch my Weizenbock. One pack is 100 billion cells and I needed about 400. The starter calculator on Brewers friend helped me get there with a two step starter. I successfully avoided a banana beer. That would have been the result of a 1 pack pitch due to yeast stress.

My vote is even if you brew before a starter is ready, just cap it and wait to pitch the correct amount. If your sanitation is good, you won't have a problem.

Thanks for your help guys. Very much appreciated. In the end we have got extra liquid yeast packages but we learnt the lesson and we are starting to look at how to make a starter.

Thanks again guys.

FWIW, it's not hard to make a stir plate... there's a tutorial here somewhere. :) Get an old computer fan, a cell phone charger and a box of some sort. If you want to be fancy, get a rheostat to adjust the speed of the fan. Not MANDATORY, but very useful if you do. All told, you can probably have a stir plate for under $20 if you have all the necessary stuff, except the magnets and rheostat.

Back