Liquid and Dry Malt Extract Shelf Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyCB

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving to Paris, France around August and have historically had little success finding American IPAs there. My current survival plan requires me to start brewing my own. I've done a little bit of poking around and it seems as though I can get some ingredients via http://www.brouwland.com/en/ . I'm also considering shipping a decent supply of Malt Extract with my possessions, but am concerned about the shelf life of these products. Does anyone have any idea how long the extracts should remain fresh for?

Thanks,

Anthony

If you want shelf life buy all DME. If properly stored it lasts a long time. I just finished off the remainder of a huge bag I bought over a year ago. It was in the same condition as it was when purchased.

More zombie resurection...

I have an opportunity today. The boxes are marked $52 each if I'm reading it correctly. I'm wondering if I could extend the shelf life by keeping DME in a freezer?

It seems like a lot of product.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-120242_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220730-120242_Chrome.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0
@Dynachrome - the photo isn't helpful. Can you check the packaging to 1) confirm it's DME, and 2) get the packaged on date.

I'm wondering if I could extend the shelf life by keeping DME in a freezer?
One alternative: assuming it's DME, and assuming it's "in date", buy just what you can use over the next year. Store it in the original packaging in a cool place (probably not the garage).

Back