Lid on my fermenter cracked while opening it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSteel

Reaction score
Topic says it all. Pic is below. Do you think this is still safe to use or should I dish out money for a new lid?
2lxuut.jpg

How often does this happen? Is there a proper way to open a bucket lid to prevent this?

It's hard to tell, but it doesn't look like it has ripped past the o-ring seal. If so, It wouldn't bother me to use it, actually mine has a tear that doesn't go past the o-ring seal and I have used it for 7+ batches.

Nice. Anyone know a way to open these that will prevent this? Maybe I'll just try to be extra careful not to bend the lid anywhere.

FRS-open.jpg

you could buy one of these, but i wouldn't really think they'd do a better job than your hands.

I was using one of those openers like lpdb's, but it actually caused my lid to tear worse than doing it by hand.

Doubt anything will get through the crack before fermentation begins. After it begins, the only detrimental effect it will have is that your lock might not bubble because the CO2 is leaking through the crack instead.

Actually, there is no air going through the crack and my airlock has been bubbling away.

This is a DOH! moment...you see that little indentation to the right of the crack? There's another one all the way to the left of the picture. Actually, there's about 8 of them on the lid.

Remove the lid, remove the gasket, then take a box cutter and make a slice at each of the indentations. Problem solved. ;)

Some lids come precut, yours didn't that's all.

I wouldn't worry about the tear that much.

Where are you in IL?

mine has been cracked like that for over a year - The bucket still seals fine, and it is actually easier to get off now, so I have left it alone.

This is a DOH! moment...you see that little indentation to the right of the crack? There's another one all the way to the left of the picture. Actually, there's about 8 of them on the lid.

Remove the lid, remove the gasket, then take a box cutter and make a slice at each of the indentations. Problem solved. ;)

Some lids come precut, yours didn't that's all.

I wouldn't worry about the tear that much.

Where are you in IL?

Do you mean make a slice down the middle of the indentation? I'd probably want to see a picture before committing to slicing my lid up lol.

Do you mean make a slice down the middle of the indentation? I'd probably want to see a picture before committing to slicing my lid up lol.

You know I wouldn't worry about a "little" crack like that anyways. CO2 will blanket the beer and keep those baddies away. If you are that concerned then by all means purchase another lid at your local hardware store or at Home depot or Lowes. Bottom line is that CO2 will form on top of the wort during fermentation and will shield any forms of oxidation and contamination while fermenting.

Actually looking at the pic, that crack isnt on one of the indents where they would be sliced. I wouldnt worry either, I have a crack where I drilled out my rubber grommet and installed a rubber bung quite awhile ago and have been using it for 2 years now. Its about time to replace the bucket due to wear but I havent had any bad batches yet due to it. I find these buckets crack much easier then the taller narrower buckets with lids.

I can't post pictures, but I wouldn't steer you wrong.

Yes, slice the indentation. All of my lids came that way (brand new).

They are the same as with 5 gal paint containers. You slice it at the indentations and the lid comes off easily using the opener.

I can't post pictures, but I wouldn't steer you wrong.

Yes, slice the indentation. All of my lids came that way (brand new).

They are the same as with 5 gal paint containers. You slice it at the indentations and the lid comes off easily using the opener.

Do you slice just the inside of the indentation or do you cut all the way down to the rim?

yes slice it from the bottom of the indentation all the way to the edge . The reason it cracked is that the lid is made for holding liquids inside even if tipped over just like a 5 gallon paint pail. The cuts make it easier to remove the lid some buckets you just tear the band below the indentation off.

yes slice it from the bottom of the indentation all the way to the edge . The reason it cracked is that the lid is made for holding liquids inside even if tipped over just like a 5 gallon paint pail. The cuts make it easier to remove the lid some buckets you just tear the band below the indentation off.

Like this:
10ho8sx.jpg

or this?:
zna3wy.jpg

Back