Fermzilla Hop Bong Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haze Crazed

Reaction score
Just finally tried out the new hop bong on my Fermzilla. Had to email morebeer prior to using because the lid is really hard to press into the opening. Big PITA you have to put the collar on first then attach your post otherwise the collar won’t go down.

Then it came time to drill my new lid for the temp twister and thermowell. Step drilling wasn’t bad but the duotight fittings were a pain as always. Got past that then realized that I was going to have to bend the temp twister in order to have the coil sitting correctly in the fermenter. I was in a hurry and don’t have a pipe bender so I proceeded to try by hand and crimped my coil at the bend (luckily not fully closed). Also noticed this puts the thermowell nearly right up against the coil.

Anyone have a pic of their correctly installed coil/thermowell on the new hop bong lid?

Also sucks I will have to get a new coil for my 15g Fermzilla after bending for my 7 gallon.

wait there are a couple of configurations i have seen for the zila that might work for you. also its very eeasy to cut the crimp out and replace with a small piece of the correct od silicon tubing.

i use the ss i cut off for dip tubes in my growlers by attaching them to short pieces of silicon.

ill get some pics.

1704648363802.png

is this the lid you have?

were you planning to put the twister on an angle through those undrilled ports on the side?
or run the twisters tubes throught the 1881 threaded ports. ?

1704648507485.png

i saw this after i already cut my twister down to fit my flat bottom zilla otherwise i would have prolly done this. but it doesnt matter.

1704648621793.png

i squoze mine in vertical and its tight. it could use a slight bend.

but you can definately just hang it in there on silicon tubes

so for example you can use a short piece of the ss to go throguh the duoghtight bulkheads then connect it to the twister with tubing or i suppose just go through the duotights with that hard duotight eva tubing. then atttach with silicon to the twister. you wont be able to get that eva over the stainless.
i suppose yopu could sit the twister on the bottom of the zilla and just have it connected via tubing throguh the bulkheads to your chilling source but i like my chiller suspended in the center of the wort.

there are many ways to get the twister in a zilla not just the reccomended. its very versatile.

, good luck

View attachment 838450

is this the lid you have?

were you planning to put the twister on an angle through those undrilled ports on the side?
or run the twisters tubes throught the 1881 threaded ports. ?

View attachment 838451

i saw this after i already cut my twister down to fit my flat bottom zilla otherwise i would have prolly done this. but it doesnt matter.

View attachment 838452

i squoze mine in vertical and its tight. it could use a slight bend.

but you can definately just hang it in there on silicon tubes

so for example you can use a short piece of the ss to go throguh the duoghtight bulkheads then connect it to the twister with tubing or i suppose just go through the duotights with that hard duotight eva tubing. then atttach with silicon to the twister. you wont be able to get that eva over the stainless.
i suppose yopu could sit the twister on the bottom of the zilla and just have it connected via tubing throguh the bulkheads to your chilling source but i like my chiller suspended in the center of the wort.

there are many ways to get the twister in a zilla not just the reccomended. its very versatile.

, good luck
I have really liked the Fermzilla, always wanted a conical but SS wasn’t in the budget. There are some great features to it and until I have $2,000 to drop on a SS conical I will continue to make it work.

I used the undrilled ports in your pic, step drilled and used duotight fittings the the temp twister slides up in. Then there is another undrilled port that I step drilled and used another duotight for my thermowell. I love the hop bong it’s 1000 times better than using the collection jar for dry hopping.

I’ll get some better pics once this beer is finished. You can see the pinched tubes on the temp twister. I didn’t want nor did I think I could have it in there at an angle as shown in the pictures above.

Attachments

• 0FDCEB6E-CE8B-4FBC-9112-28B9007ADF45.jpeg
    0FDCEB6E-CE8B-4FBC-9112-28B9007ADF45.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • FFB14B3A-C9CC-49F7-AB07-7A7ADE392118.jpeg
    FFB14B3A-C9CC-49F7-AB07-7A7ADE392118.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • F15A945E-653A-44E7-B9A9-6D155BC8D641.jpeg
    F15A945E-653A-44E7-B9A9-6D155BC8D641.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 481F6108-010F-44CC-8066-3D47E03C6DA9.jpeg
    481F6108-010F-44CC-8066-3D47E03C6DA9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I’ve been putting this off for exactly this reason. I do have a pipe bender from when I built a wort chiller but I haven’t figured out the best way to measure the 11 degree bend MoreBeer recommends 🤣

I’ve been putting this off for exactly this reason. I do have a pipe bender from when I built a wort chiller but I haven’t figured out the best way to measure the 11 degree bend MoreBeer recommends 🤣
Well you can see how well it went for me on brew day with no pipe bender. New temp twister is what it will cost me. Make that 2 one for my 7g and one for my 15g.

yes zilla with twister is the cheapest option. no need to get a new twister just cut out the crimps and replace with soft tubing it will work. also does the crimps impede the flow that much? i find the slower flow cools better anyway up to a point.

btw there are much cheaper conicals. if i need another FV i would prolly go with a knock off like wellonstar or guten if i could find one. the welds might be an issue on those however. i might take the risk on it.

1704809629230.png

femonster with ball and keg temp control is also an option for low budget temp control fermenters but its more money then the zilla with coil

https://ballandkeg.com/products/temperature-control-coil

Back