Lid mounted steam condenser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhedrick83

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a Steam Slayer from @Bobby_M a little while back and now I’m finally ready to mount it to my boil kettle lid. My question is that since my lid is curved a bit and there’s a handle in the middle, where on the lid is the best place to mount it?
1D2627DC-50E4-408C-9B0D-0D8D3BC51E41.jpeg

If it matters to anyone, it’s an SS BrewTech 5.5 gallon kettle.

As long as the Steam Slayer clears the edge of the kettle and leaves room to grab the handle it really doesn't matter. I put mine as close to the center as I could just to help the balance.

Are there supposed to be gaskets that go with each coupling? Only one of the supplies couplings has a gasket.

EA56AD2D-A4B2-4F27-9E7A-F58E2D60D60C.jpeg
D31B316F-F2F2-4842-ACB3-A09A8A6A0F33.jpeg

When I ordered it all, I checked with Bobby to make sure I had all I needed in my cart and he didn’t indicate I needed any gaskets for the elbow on the lid or anything else but it seems a little loose fitting without a gasket. The fact that it came with one gasket but not any more for the steam slayer itself makes me wonder if there should be more. I feel like there should be one at every joint. First time using these couplings, so, sorry if it’s a basic question.

Looks like I may have answered my own question. Found this on the brew hardware website:
EAFEC96F-EEC0-45D6-9116-1069C2D55816.png

We added the extra clamps needed for the elbow and to attach the unit to the elbow but not any extra gaskets.

Looks like this is on hold until the LHBS opens Tuesday and fingers crossed they have the gaskets.

If you are installing on the lid, you also need a 90° elbow. Did you get that? That will also need triclamps and gaskets.

My lid is flat, and I installed near the edge so that it could easily hang off the side without ordering a stainless "extender" cylinder so that it could reach the edge.

Last edited:
I did get the 90 degree elbow and triclamps for it as well. Just no gaskets. I drilled a hole as close to the edge as possible. I’m pretty sure I’ll be OK without the extender. We will find out.

Last edited:
If I guided you through everything you needed to add to the cart and I neglected to include all the gaskets, I'll pay the shipping to get them to you.

I appreciate the offer, it’s every bit as much my fault for not catching that on the website or asking more questions. I was able to track down a local fabricator who had some and picked up a few this afternoon.

Back