Spike Steam Condensing lid vs. CIP lid + DIY condenser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raider7296

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to acquire a Spike Trio system second-hand. Unfortunately, it does not come with a steam condenser.

I currently have a DIY steam condenser that I put together for my Anvil Foundry. I'm wondering if I should repurpose it for this new system, or go all-in with spike and buy the steam condensing lid.

From Spike's website, it looks like my options are:

1) 15 Gallon CIP Lid - $80 + a longer spool - $16 = $96
2) 15 Gallon Steam Condensing Lid = $360

Does the steam condensing lid offer $260 of utility over my DIY contraption? Are there any advantages to having the extra ports on the steam condensing lid? Will the CIP lid flop right off the kettle if I try to hang a condenser off of it?

Water usage is not really a concern where I live, so the recirculation aspect of the condensing lid is not really adding anything for me. I don't mind spending extra for something that will "just work", but it would have to be pretty dang slick for me to spend 3x as much.

What do y'all think?

The extra ports would be great for adding hops while letting less steam and temp drop out. The TC port being right in the middle would be nice to attach a CIP ball for cleanup. Or: Depending on how high you expect your boil-level to be, you could just mount a bulkhead below the rim in the pot itself...probably the cheapest option:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/tc15wlf.htm

You could put a T on the top of the simple lid and then condenser off the side of the T and that way you can drop hops in through the top of the T.

The extra port for viewing doesn't need to be airtight.

My solution here
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/spike-steam-lid-used-on-65l-brewzilla.689178/post-9070523
lots of info in this thread which you may have seen already

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/boil-kettle-condenser-no-overhead-ventilation-needed.636955/
That dedicated lid is not cheap!

That's a good idea about adding a T. I wonder if you could keep the lid from tipping if you added a beefy butterfly valve or something on the side opposite the condenser.

Adding a bulkhead would probably be the easiest and cheapest thing to do. But this particular set of kettles has the welded tri-clamp ports all around, and I'm not sure I want to go adding non-welded ports. Out of vanity more than anything, haha.

Fixing some of the hook over clips as on the guten, brewzilla etc would stop it tipping.
A heavy weight would do it, not sure a butterfly valve would be heavy enough.
A support off the handle would do it if all aligned okay.

I did get my lid further modified by a friend who has a panel beaters he beat out the concave top to make it convex, it looks better now.

Latest posts

Back