LHBS Ouratgeous Prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_ATL73

Reaction score
Has anybody else seen spikes in prices at their LHBS?
Ive noticed a pretty big increase in prices over the past year. Im not sure the reason for the changes but its seeming to become outrageous.

For example, just this week I went in to pick up a few items.... 2 Co2 tank exchanges, 4 1oz packets of hops, 2 dry yeast packets, and a ball lock gas quick disconnect.

"And your total comes out to be...... $90.71"

What!?!?

Im in no way cheap. I paid for the items and went on my way. Homebrewing isnt cheap and i know that but these type prices are unbelievable. Especially with the great deals you can find online (like one last week i bought 5$ pounds of hops from YVH) I dont know if i can justify supporting a local business if they are looking to gouge my wallet.

Interested to see peoples opinions about this

I have not noticed any price changes at mine this year, but I only buy ingredients. Just bought some DME, crystal malt, and yeast two days ago. Same prices I have been paying for the last few years.

Hops: hopsdirect.com
CO2: local “grow” business or welding shop. Get at least a 10# bottle.
Grains: LHBS. Bulk sacks for 2 row

If you're REALLY cheap... harvest the yeast from the last batch and save it in a sanitized mason jar in the fridge. I do that for about three generations before I start over.

Last edited:
Id love to see the itemized list. I get 20 a piece for tank swaps, about 2 bucks an ounce hops and dry yeast 3 to 4 bucks.
Co2 tanks were 27$ a piece.. mind you they were 20$ a few weeks ago.. not sure what happened there.

Like everyone is mentioning.
Normally i would just get my hops at YMV and most other things online but I needed some items and I like to support small businesses.

From the list every item is marked up 25-50% what you would find online
1575847062424.jpeg

Yeah the CO2 price is the only thing on that list I’d say is outrageous. I want to say I pay $30-35 to exchange 20 lb tanks at my local weld shop.

Last edited:
i agree with others. the co2 prices are ridiculous. i pay less than that at my LHBS to get my 20lb filled.

wait??? i did the math and it adds up to 23.45??? the co2 was free?

edit : or wait ididn't count the doubles, but looks like the co2 was free....?

I've been drinking too much. I only see stuff adding to about 30 bucks and CO2 is free. Clearly I am in the @bracconiere zone as I don't see CO2 being charged either.

but , what's weird about the receipt is the total....even with my missing the doubles is $29.65....that receipt is confusing......

edit: i'm glad i have my own 'zone'.....lol

wait??? i did the math and it adds up to 23.45??? the co2 was free?

edit : or wait ididn't count the doubles, but looks like the co2 was free....?
Not quite sure why it didn't print on the receipt but they were ringed up 27$ a piece on the computer

Then again, I doubt hydroponics or weed growers are particularly sensitive to CO2 purity. If their supply chain isn't "beer grade" end to end I'd give it a miss in favor of a supplier with food quality in mind, even at a price premium...

Cheers!

Then again, I doubt hydroponics or weed growers are particularly sensitive to CO2 purity. If their supply chain isn't "beer grade" end to end I'd give it a miss in favor of a supplier with food quality in mind, even at a price premium...

Cheers!

The large scale growers I know are using Beverage/Food grade, not industrial or research. It should be noted the choice cylinder material is as important to contaminants as the "purity" of the gas.

Cheers!

Ok, you're gonna have to amplify that thought.
Imo, whether steel or aluminum, it's not going to matter a whit...

Cheers! (whit: The least bit; an iota)

Quite right, steel or aluminum . . . I worked for Sigma Aldrich years ago and we sold analytical grade CO2 (and other gases) in steel cylinders. Of course what happens to the cylinder between fills is what makes the difference for contaminants, is it under vacuum, does it undergo purification, etc. IIRC, our supplier was Air Liquide.

But as for the iota, this forum traffics in such matters.

The LHBS mentioned by the OP most likely gets the cylinder re-fills from another business, then adds their markup to the price. The Belle Saison yeast price seems high but the hops prices are a about what I'd expect.
A dollar here and a dollar there adds up, its easier and cheaper to buy online, that's why small retail is closing down every day.
There's a high priced LHBS store near me that I avoid, they've stayed in business by opening a winery.
Internet shopping is a blessing and a curse at the same time, better selection lower prices, but when you need something today, your local store isn't there anymore....

A dollar here and a dollar there adds up, its easier and cheaper to buy online, that's why small retail is closing down every day.

Yes absolutely it does. Making this post in my frustration with the prices I was thinking about previous purchases there too. I can remember paying about 35 bucks a piece for 2 simple BSG plastic fermenting buckets (sorry no receipts to post for that).. Needed them that day so I bit the bullet on that one too.

May be time for me to give them up.

Sounds like an individual LHBS problem not a problem with all LHBSs.. Shop elsewhere, or compare prices with other LHBSs in your area and politely ask yours why their prices are higher. Clerical errors are a possibility. Especially since it doesn't seem to be all products.

To paraphrase a scene from the Godfather in regards to your LHBS... keep the homebrew ingredients, leave the CO2. You just need to find a different supplier for CO2.

.... I can remember paying about 35 bucks a piece for 2 simple BSG plastic fermenting buckets (sorry no receipts to post for that).. Needed them that day so I bit the bullet on that one too.

May be time for me to give them up.

Yep, CO2 price is way too high. I recently paid $23.44 to fill a 20 lb tank. Like everyone has posted, the other items seem reasonable. I would make a call to the LHBS owner and ask them about the CO2 pricing... a 35% increase. Maybe they will adjust the bill for you.

Please don't get me wrong, but you have posted at least twice that you bought something from them because you "needed" the item. Perhaps it may be beneficial for you to plan ahead better. I suspect if in the future you realize you need something and cannot receive it in time from ordering it online, that you will visit this or another LHBS.

All of us has at one time or another have needed something that we overlooked. I would rather pay slightly more than not have the ability to buy it from a LHBS.

Have you seen the outrageous prices and price gauging for food at theme/entertainment parks? People still fork up and pay....they "need" it.

Nothing on that receipt is outrageous except the C02. My local gas distributer charges $9 for 5# and $17 for 20# refills or exchanges.

Op, why didn't you just say no thanks on the C02 exchanges when you were told the price at checkout?

$25 here for a 20# CO2 swap at a welding supply. Aluminum for aluminum. Yeah, I schlepp that tank to serving events too.
One, not so local to me, gas place does 5# refills, usually within the hour. Not sure what they charge now, but many club members from that area seem to be fine with them, and I never heard about price gouging or absurd charges.
Like everyone has posted, the other items seem reasonable.
Motueka is not that unique, but Nelson is always in demand and short on supply, so a pretty average price for an LHBS, yes. But overpriced given suitable alternatives.

7 years ago I stopped buying hops from either of my 2 LHBS' since they only sold by the oz, and after paying well over $20 for 6 oz of IPA hops (Simcoe, Amarillo).

A few years ago, one LHBS started selling hops in 4 and 8 oz packages and some at whole pounds (mostly leaf), but still at staggering prices given online alternatives, such as Farmhouse Brewing, HopsDirect, and as I found later, YVH. I buy mostly by the pound, and my freezer content is testimony to that. CO2 purged and/or vacuum resealed, they last many years, 4-5 years, at least.
Perhaps it may be beneficial for you to plan ahead better.
That's probably the ultimate solution, having time in your favor to select better pricing. Buying in bulk over piecemealing. Keep an eye on shipping as it may kill an otherwise good deal, especially when heavy or large items are involved.
I can remember paying about 35 bucks a piece for 2 simple BSG plastic fermenting buckets (sorry no receipts to post for that).. Needed them that day so I bit the bullet on that one too.
Whaaa! Time to shop elsewhere, as well as planning better ahead.
IIRC, I paid $12.70 each, 5-6 years ago. Plus $3.25 for a drilled lid. I thought that was highway robbery, as I remember seeing the same buckets for $6.70 a year or so before. Oh well, they can last a lifetime if treated with respect. I picked up quite a few free ones, over time.

The one (local) LHBS does CO2 refills for $3.60 a pound, regardless of size. A really good deal for 2.5 pounders (oh yes!), not so attractive for 5# and sheer robbery for anything larger.

@HB_ATL73, Did you speak with the LHBS about their pricing? They're going to charge what the market will bear, and letting them know that you are unhappy is one way of letting them know that you won't bear it.
In that light I wonder if that $0.00 charge for the 2 tank swaps on the customer's receipt is not merely coincidental. $90 and not much to show for it. Ouch!

@HB_ATL73 BTW, is sales tax 8% over there?

I would make a call to the LHBS owner and ask them about the CO2 pricing... a 35% increase. Maybe they will adjust the bill for you.

That's a good idea. Yes I understand planning ahead would be ideal.

Planning ahead wouldn't have made a difference for the CO2 in this instance. Had to fork up the money not knowing the price went up 7 bucks in the matter of weeks and had to keg that day.

You are right though I should bring up the matter with the LHBS and see what they say

That's about what my CO2 fills cost, albeit in a very high COL area. But there is very little difference between 5-10-20. Like only a few extra bucks for each step up. So I quickly ditched by 5 lb for another 10 lb and I've been keeping my eye on craigslist trying to land a 20. My advice OP get at least a 10 lb tank.

That's about what my CO2 fills cost, albeit in a very high COL area. But there is very little difference between 5-10-20. Like only a few extra bucks for each step up. So I quickly ditched by 5 lb for another 10 lb and I've been keeping my eye on craigslist trying to land a 20. My advice OP get at least a 10 lb tank.

Yep. Here in Northern Virginia I pay $28 plus tax for a 5# exchange at the local industrial gas place (they are good about taking expired tanks without a charge though). I could exchange at a local homebrew shop for $29. I picked up a 15# tank with plans to get it refilled...but the refill place is one of those 6:00 to 4:00 type places the opposite direction of my work.

Back