Let's talk Hi-Def DVD players...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have one? I'm gonna pull the trigger this year. I'm thinking about getting the PS3 and killing 2 birds with one stone--the 7 year old has a PS3 and I have a built in Blu-Ray DVD player. I'm open to player suggestions though.

I was at Best Buy the other day and was flabbergasted at the quality. It was absolutely amazing. The movie was in frickin' 3-D!!!!

I must have one. I've decided to only go Blu-Ray.

Can anyone recommend another player?

The downside is that one person wants to play PS3 and maybe another wants to watch a movie. Fight fight fight.

BTW: I can't believe I don't have any HD DVD player yet. I'm usually the shmuck early adopter. I had one of the first regular DVD players back in 96 when there were only like 12 titles available to BUY, nevermind to rent.

Bobby_M said:
The downside is that one person wants to play PS3 and maybe another wants to watch a movie. Fight fight fight.

BTW: I can't believe I don't have any HD DVD player yet. I'm usually the shmuck early adopter. I had one of the first regular DVD players back in 96 when there were only like 12 titles available to BUY, nevermind to rent.

Our 7 year old is only with us on weekends, so more than likely we won't see a conflict. Plus, I'll win that argument 10 out of 10 times anyway. ;)

I am so amazed at the quality of it. It was eye-shocking.

I've had the HD add-on for the xbox 360 since last December and I love it. For less than the price of a PS3 you can get an xbox 360 and an HD-DVD addon (plus something like 7 free movies). I picked up Transformers in HD last week and I can't wait to watch it (was out of town last weekend).

If you get the new xbox 360 arcade edition (which debuted yesterday), it'll only cost $460 for the xbox and add-on. And if you buy the add-on at best buy, then you get Heroes Season 1 on HD-DVD (I watched it a few weeks ago and the quality is awesome).

But...if you already have your heart set on going blu-ray, I'd stick with the PS3, because you'll probably have to buy a new blu-ray player once the format is finalized near the end of the year...but hopefully the PS3 will be able to be upgraded to support the new format (the stand alone players will not be able to be updated).

dude said:
Our 7 year old is only with us on weekends, so more than likely we won't see a conflict. Plus, I'll win that argument 10 out of 10 times anyway.
I hear you dude. They whine alot but I own the TV.

drunkatuw said:
I've had the HD add-on for the xbox 360 since last December and I love it. For less than the price of a PS3 you can get an xbox 360 and an HD-DVD addon (plus something like 7 free movies). I picked up Transformers in HD last week and I can't wait to watch it (was out of town last weekend).

If you get the new xbox 360 arcade edition (which debuted yesterday), it'll only cost $460 for the xbox and add-on. And if you buy the add-on at best buy, then you get Heroes Season 1 on HD-DVD (I watched it a few weeks ago and the quality is awesome).

But...if you already have your heart set on going blu-ray, I'd stick with the PS3, because you'll probably have to buy a new blu-ray player once the format is finalized near the end of the year...but hopefully the PS3 will be able to be upgraded to support the new format (the stand alone players will not be able to be updated).

NOt anymore. New 40gb ps3 is only $399, coming out for the season.. I think its already out actually... way better deal than 360/hd dvd player. I have blu ray ps3, effin luv it. The wife and I can't stop getting blu rays now, Planet Earth is absolutely killer on it.

One more thing, ps3 has a more advanced HDMI system. I really hope HD DVD goes out of business so I don't have to buy the flippin add on for my 360 and have two dvd players.

Ó Flannagáin said:
NOt anymore. New 40gb ps3 is only $399, coming out for the season.. I think its already out actually... way better deal than 360/hd dvd player. I have blu ray ps3, effin luv it. The wife and I can't stop getting blu rays now, Planet Earth is absolutely killer on it.

This just in:
venn_copy.jpg

If you want to play ps2 games, get the 60... that's what I have, I never had a ps2... otherwise, the 40 is awesome. And it can play regular DVD's the backwards compatibility is just for ps2 games. The 40gig can also play ps1 games.

EDIT: the memory card thing is pretty awesome too, nice to pull the card out of the camera and browse through on the HDTV.

I have the xbox360 HD-DVD Player. The picture and sound is absolutely awesome.

Every sony product I have owned has been junk. None lasted more than 3 years. I refuse to ever go blu-ray.

Ok yeah this hash this out. Blu-ray really? Everything I have heard says HD-DVD.

Anyone ever see 720p? I have a DLP TV that is pretty big, but it only goes up to 720p (I kick myself). Will PS3 work with a 720p monitor, and how much worse is that than 1080p?

KBrew75 said:
I have the xbox360 HD-DVD Player. The picture and sound is absolutely awesome.

Every sony product I have owned has been junk. None lasted more than 3 years. I refuse to ever go blu-ray.

Blu ray is waaaayyyy ahead of hd dvd in sales and production. I've had 2 xbox 360's die on me in less than two years. My ps3 hasn't so much as froze up once in this first year I've had it. 3 years is pretty good compare to the average 360 lifespan.

I absolutely LOVE a bunch of my 360 games, but that machine is junk. The dude at kotaku.com (biggest game blogging site on the net) has gone through NINE xbox 360's via red ring of death.

ScubaSteve said:
Anyone ever see 720p? I have a DLP TV that is pretty big, but it only goes up to 720p (I kick myself). Will PS3 work with a 720p monitor, and how much worse is that than 1080p?

Yea, I only have 720p as well :( I hope to upgrade in a year. The ps3 and 360 will both work with 720p and it looks great... but just knowing 1080p is out there makes me jealous.

rdwj said:
That thing is over a grand. You could buy a PS3, X-box 360 and a ****load of movies and games for that price.

Ha!....even if you're the type that *thinks* you don't play games, you might just try them and get hooked.....then you'll be glad you got a PS3.:rockin:

BTW, I had my sights set on a BarleyCrusher for XMAS....but now I'm lookin' at that 40G PS3! It's a lot more expensive, but it'll really harness our tv's potential (we currently only use 480p). I think it'd be awesome to use the wi-fi on the tv, too!:ban:

Ó Flannagáin said:
Yea, I only have 720p as well :( I hope to upgrade in a year. The ps3 and 360 will both work with 720p and it looks great... but just knowing 1080p is out there makes me jealous.

I did a bit o' research, and it looks like the difference is negligable at a distance of 10ft or so.

ScubaSteve said:
I did a bit o' research, and it looks like the difference is negligable at a distance of 10ft or so.

VEry true. HOnestly, 720p is flipping awesome. I have the 60g ps3. The 40gig is great, if you don't wan to play ps2 games.

If you're looking for a game console, make sure you look at the game offerings. I know that the PS3 is popular, but their game selection is somewhat lacking when compared to the 360. And having played both, the 360 game play is smoother.

The PS does have the blu ray, which I think is better than HD DVD, so they both have advantages.

rdwj said:
If you're looking for a game console, make sure you look at the game offerings. I know that the PS3 is popular, but their game selection is somewhat lacking when compared to the 360. And having played both, the 360 game play is smoother.

The PS does have the blu ray, which I think is better than HD DVD, so they both have advantages.

... and it doesn't crap out on you every 6 months. Seriously, the ps3 game selection is growing every month. We got ratchet & clank this week which got a 9.4?/10 from IGN. and 8+'s from tons others. It's got warhawk, motor storm, resistence, heavenly sword, ninja gaiden, folk lore, GRAW 2 already out and much more coming. Metal Gear Solid 4, Call of Duty 4, Final Fantasy XIII and XIII versus and tons more... the line up is looking pretty awesome. The downloadable games are pretty sweet as well.

... Halo 3 is fun though, only game I actually play on my 360 anymore.

EDIT: I used to not be this much of a fanboy, but I really hate my 360... it's loud, hot and breaks way too often. I want the ps3 to win so I can flipping throw that piece of junk away.

Fish said:
Ok yeah this hash this out. Blu-ray really? Everything I have heard says HD-DVD.

And where have you heard this?

Microsoft is panicking. They recently gave Paramount some ridiculous amount of money (to the tune of 180 mil) to temporarily switch to HD-DVD.

Blu-Ray is outselling HD-DVDs almost 2-1. Blu-Ray has most of the major production companies. Blockbuster has now gone to Blu-Ray exclusively. Once the pron industry or Walmart make a decision--it will be game over if either one chooses Blu-Ray.

If I see that player in my local Walmart, I'm buying it period. With a netflix sub, I never buy movies anymore and won't with HD either. Even if I go bluray in 2 years, it's disposible anyway.

rdwj said:

I know what you're saying...there's some good titles in 360. But they made Oblivion for both, and Final Fantasy is on PS3. Either game will keep you way entertained for months....definitely worth the $$$ IMHO. PS3 also has Wi-Fi and can browse pretty well, and the online gaming is free. 360 charges a subscription fee to play online.

BTW, I did a bit of research on both systems, and some of those gaming forums are ridiculous! I mean, like 20 pages of flaming eachother over nothing! I'd rather fight over beer:)

ScubaSteve said:
I know what you're saying...there's some good titles in 360. But they made Oblivion for both, and Final Fantasy is on PS3. Either game will keep you way entertained for months....definitely worth the $$$ IMHO. PS3 also has Wi-Fi and can browse pretty well, and the online gaming is free. 360 charges a subscription fee to play online.

The free gaming is awesome, I'm about to spend $50 on an xbox live subscription for the second time.... this little piece of machinery is really starting to get expensive.

Ó Flannagáin said:
The only... and i mean only, HD-DVD that I'm upset about is transformers. I would love to own that on blu-ray :(

Interesting Michael Bay comments:

Michael Bay likes Blu-ray better after all

Michael Bay, the director of the blockbuster Transformers, has once again flipped his views on the competing HD formats, commenting to USA Today that he believes Blu-ray is in fact the superior format.

Although Transformers has broken all HD DVD sales records in just over a week, Bay had this to say about Paramount’s decision to go HD DVD exclusive, , “It's short-sighted and it has delayed consumers' moving to HD (home video). As a director, my critical eye is that Blu-ray is where my money is. Consumers are smart, and they are going to wait it out.”

Bay had originally made such comments, including this quote he made immediately after Paramount’s decision. “I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me.” A few days after his rant however, he changed his mind and instead praised the pricing of HD DVD’s hardware and said that he would come back for Transformers 2.

I stopped by walmart on the way to work this morning and picked up a toshiba A2 HD-DVD player for $98!

I was going to buy a sony upconverting dvd player for $120, but instead I bought this. The deal was too good to pass up!

drunkatuw said:
I stopped by walmart on the way to work this morning and picked up a toshiba A2 HD-DVD player for $98!

I was going to buy a sony upconverting dvd player for $120, but instead I bought this. The deal was too good to pass up!

Definitely a good deal, I might get it just to have both formats. But my tv area is cluttered as it is so dunno. They are desperate to get this format into homes, sales have been SO bad up til now.

Ó Flannagáin said:
It comes with a component cable, you have to buy HD cables.

I haven't had a chance to open the box yet, but people online are reporting that an HDMI cable is included. But I don't care because I already have an HDMI cable snaked thru my ceiling from my equipment closet to my projector, so I'll be ready to go.

Latest posts

Back