Hi from the Netherlands

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkydonuts

Reaction score
Hi all, I am English but based in the Netherlands, just outside Amsterdam.

I love cider, it was the first drink my grandfather bought me when I was 9 years old. Proper scrumpy, insects and all from a special trip to a very dodgy cider farm in Somerset but for him, growing up in the West Country, it was a matter of teaching me about my culture and my heritage. That may sound odd but my grandfather was someone that believed that eggs came from a chicken and not from a supermarket so it was an important right of passage and one of the fond memories I have of my grandfather before he passed away.

I’m now in my second cider making season having produced a small amount of reasonable quality cider last year but this year I want to really improve. Cider isn’t really a thing here in the Netherlands, even apple farmers when you ask if they like cider state “never tried it, we only drink beer”. It’s a bit of a cultural struggle.

That’s why I’m here to learn as much as possible from the amazing wealth of information in this forum, to brew a bit of the good stuff in the low lands and to raise a toast to my grandfather with my very own cider.

I very much look forward to meeting all you folks and sharing some love of this hobby 😀

Welcome from another new member! My grandfather had an apple orchard and a big old oak cider press. He made cider for family and friends. After his death we discovered by accident that he also made hard cider which he probably kept for himself! We found a few carboys of hard cider hidden way back under the stairs in the root cellar. My grandmother did not allow drinking so I guess he found a workaround! I was only 7 when the discovery was made but my 30 year old cousin was seen loading up the carboys in the back of his old Chevy.

Anyway welcome and I’m sure you’ll learn a lot from others on this forum!

Hi all, I am English but based in the Netherlands, just outside Amsterdam.

I love cider, it was the first drink my grandfather bought me when I was 9 years old. Proper scrumpy, insects and all from a special trip to a very dodgy cider farm in Somerset but for him, growing up in the West Country, it was a matter of teaching me about my culture and my heritage. That may sound odd but my grandfather was someone that believed that eggs came from a chicken and not from a supermarket so it was an important right of passage and one of the fond memories I have of my grandfather before he passed away.

I’m now in my second cider making season having produced a small amount of reasonable quality cider last year but this year I want to really improve. Cider isn’t really a thing here in the Netherlands, even apple farmers when you ask if they like cider state “never tried it, we only drink beer”. It’s a bit of a cultural struggle.

That’s why I’m here to learn as much as possible from the amazing wealth of information in this forum, to brew a bit of the good stuff in the low lands and to raise a toast to my grandfather with my very own cider.

I very much look forward to meeting all you folks and sharing some love of this hobby 😀
Fantastic first post. Well done, and good luck on your endeavors.

Latest posts

Back