Let's Remember Some Beers (In Memoriam: Old IPAs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RPM and Pallet Jack are super solid and I never turn them down if on tap. We don't see PJ up here in the Seattle area much.

Still around but I def remember getting some of these bad boys in trades and from Liquid Solutions

ci-hair-of-the-dog-blue-dot-double-ipa-5433b0f7be9a196d.jpeg

Blue Dot was juice before there was juice. Too bad the quality has gone downhill over the last five or six years and now it's just a mess. I know they can it now, but I'm afraid to see how bad it is.

RPM and Pallet Jack are super solid and I never turn them down if on tap. We don't see PJ up here in the Seattle area much.

Blue Dot was juice before there was juice. Too bad the quality has gone downhill over the last five or six years and now it's just a mess. I know they can it now, but I'm afraid to see how bad it is.
If it's anything like the draft version Belmont Station had on during the can release, it's trash.

BR-Hop-Rod-Rye-copy.png

used to love me some hop rod rye and red rocket. when i first got into craft bear republic was the **** for IPAs in my area, they still have some beers on the beers of fame list

anyone know if these guys are still any good?

oh damn i remember trading for this guy years ago too

myrcenary.jpg

Are Boneyard and Barley Brown's still cranking out West Coast IPAs at the same quality as several years ago?

My buddy brought me a growler of Hop Venom around 2012 or so and it blew my mind. Wish I'd see that around the Bay Area more often. I love how it's not uncommon to see $4-5 pints of it in Portland dive bars.

My buddy brought me a growler of Hop Venom around 2012 or so and it blew my mind. Wish I'd see that around the Bay Area more often. I love how it's not uncommon to see $4-5 pints of it in Portland dive bars.

They serve RPM at strip clubs in Portland, so there's that.

BR-Hop-Rod-Rye-copy.png

used to love me some hop rod rye and red rocket. when i first got into craft bear republic was the **** for IPAs in my area, they still have some beers on the beers of fame list

anyone know if these guys are still any good?

oh damn i remember trading for this guy years ago too

myrcenary.jpg
I still buy myrcenary love that beer

Bought some Duet cans on a whim since it was only three weeks old or so but it is not the same. I thought the draft Nelson they did right after Green Flash purchased them was pretty good but once it hit six packs it was meh. I've had some good Windows Up on draft and one good sixer of Duet in bottles but I've been pretty consistently let down by "Alpine" beers. Growlers and bombers from the old brewery used to be so good.
I think that stuff which is still brewed in Alpine at the original brewery is still really good, and that's why at Toronado in San Francisco you will never see "Alpine" on draft, but you will occasionally see "Alpine from Alpine" on draft, and if I see that I pretty much order it and am never disappointed.

I like this thread as I was chasing many of these beers 5 to 10 years ago, but many of the beers still taste great (Alpine brewed by Green Flash not so much) they just don't have the rarity or the newness on their side.

Hop Stoopid bombers used to be $4.50. Crazy cheap in the days when newer breweries were cranking out $15 hoppy bombers circa 2011-2014. Only issue was finding Hop Stoopid fresh.

they're still that price around here

Great thread, thanks for starting it yeahnatenelson.

Anyone remember when this one was a big deal? Back before "IPAs from New England" became "NEIPAs".

IMG_20130618_183549_zps1306660e.jpg

Maine has always suffered a bit from being 1. expensive relative to other options 2. hard to find fresh (we've periodically gotten drops of bottles down here over the years, but rarely less than a month old).

Great thread, thanks for starting it yeahnatenelson.

Anyone remember when this one was a big deal? Back before "IPAs from New England" became "NEIPAs".

IMG_20130618_183549_zps1306660e.jpg

Maine has always suffered a bit from being 1. expensive relative to other options 2. hard to find fresh (we've periodically gotten drops of bottles down here over the years, but rarely less than a month old).

That was definitel the case here shortly after the launch but the distributor eventually made good. Now there's a fresh keg of Lunch on at my local every two months or so.

Back