Let's Remember Some Beers (In Memoriam: Old IPAs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bite your tongue:

terrapin-captn-krunkles-black-ipa.png

Only good Black IPA that I've ever had. True story.

That one is the spices have changed.

That's right! But I do remember people bitching about how the hops/hoppiness had changed as well.
I don't think this was the first canned craft beer, but it was among them. My uncle gave me a can of this when I visited Oregon in 2008. My mind was blown by an IPA in a can. Simpler times.

Caldera_IPA.png

It's still pretty decent, and a solid value at around $10/sixer. I need to drink beers like this more often. I think I'm finally starting to tire of the ticking lyfe.

I was so excited when this beer showed up, a good IPA in a can?! For a couple of years it was a staple in my backpack during hikes and overnight trips.

Yeah. Back when the southeast exploded onto the shitlord scene, some asshat was convinced this DONG was going to be a whale. A growler that was traded twice became a running hyperbolic joke that growlers were traded dozens of times. Then they bottled it and people were trying to get rid of it as extras.

Jojomdma.

Does anyone know if FFF still makes Brian Boru? We used to get bottles of it up here way back when, and I thought it was unbelievable at the time. I'd love to revisit it, preferably without driving to Munster.

It's no longer listed on their website. Last BA review was posted in 2015.

Let's consider all of the IPA sub-genres that have since bitten dust:

- Red IPA
- White IPA
- Black IPA
- Rye IPA
- Belgian IPA
- Brett IPA

Please correct me if I've forgotten any.
The market is absolutely bloated with hazy IPA's now, so I'm hoping that it meets it's maker in the next 2-3 years.

RIP brown IPAs

I thought you were playing with me. Yike.

Brown-IPA-1.jpg

The only brown IPA (BIPA? BRIPA?) I remember having was from 10 Barrel back in the pre-InBev days. It was actually pretty good.

But I don't know if it was ever really a trend, or just an attempted trend that never got any footing. It also came around in the wake of Black IPAs IIRC, so that may have been a factor.

The only brown IPA (BIPA? BRIPA?) I remember having was from 10 Barrel back in the pre-InBev days. It was actually pretty good.

But I don't know if it was ever really a trend, or just an attempted trend that never got any footing. It also came around in the wake of Black IPAs IIRC, so that may have been a factor.

This -- and White IPA, for that matter -- felt like brewers throwing out ideas in hopes of staying ahead of IPA trends. Brown was the last untried IPA color of the SRM rainbow, and Blue Moon was the #1 "crafty" beer at that time.

Let's consider all of the IPA sub-genres that have since bitten dust:

- Red IPA
- White IPA
- Black IPA
- Rye IPA
- Belgian IPA
- Brett IPA

Please correct me if I've forgotten any.

Cigar-City-Homefront-IPA.jpeg

White-Oak-Jai-Alai-Art-Mock-copy.png

Wood. Baseball bats. How this flavor juggernaut was surpassed by hazy IPA’s I’ll never know.

Back