Let's Remember Some Beers (In Memoriam: Old Whales)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, that's right, I remember that there was some crap about him massaging the rankings in a way that got him the best stuff, but it worked fine for me!

I always think it's the math BIF because the principle was the same, except instead it being algorithmic and maximizing utility overall it was hand-done to maximize one person's utility...

Pisses the **** outa me that I get associated with that twat that stole my BIF.

i remember that one, didn’t he end up with a vertical of 3f vintage for a bottle of black note lol, it’s crazy. i never entered any of his because i didn’t trust the weasel, too many shady stories.

neorunner math trade is freaking great, which i have participated in for like 8 years now lol. btw when’s the next one??

I think this is the beer I traded an OGV 07 (non-Valentijn) for in 2012...all the ragrets. And the recipient is among us. ;) At least it wasn't my worst decision trade-wise.
Is that a thread topic? Worst trade decision in hind-sight? Would be interesting.

Mine: Blauw for one of those rare 750ml bottles of AB Huna. The growler was amazing but those bottles were oxidized ****.

Is that a thread topic? Worst trade decision in hind-sight? Would be interesting.

Mine: Blauw for one of those rare 750ml bottles of AB Huna. The growler was amazing but those bottles were oxidized ****.
The first release they did after the growlers, when there were 3 different barrels? I don't remember those being **** (though they weren't as good as they should've been given the attention they got), but they also may not be what you were thinking of. It also wouldn't shock me if Cigar City had some massive bottle variation on those things.

Slightly different topic, has any hyped up beer from Florida ever been worth it?

The first release they did after the growlers, when there were 3 different barrels? I don't remember those being **** (though they weren't as good as they should've been given the attention they got), but they also may not be what you were thinking of. It also wouldn't shock me if Cigar City had some massive bottle variation on those things.

Slightly different topic, has any hyped up beer from Florida ever been worth it?
I am speaking of the 2010 release in 750ml bottles. There were only like 85 bottles iirc. I traded for it in 2013 so was a few years old and opened it with all the other barrel aged Huna 750s from back in the day with GrumpyOldTroll among others. Just was not good in my opinion. Got to try it again two years later and was another dud. However had a growler of the AB Huna that CheapBeerBuzz opened circa 2015 that was still amazing. And no on the Florida beers, especially the JWB **** but I am still jaded about that guy and his shittery.

If that thread exists, I haven't seen it. Would be fun though. Mine was a 2002 OGV (that I bought at 3F Open Days in 2011...like 10 people total there) for 2012 Blabaer. Plastic-y mess. My lack of beer judgment and foresight was astounding.

Last edited:
If that thread exists, I haven't seen it. Would be fun though. Mine was a 2002 OGV (that I bought at 3F Open Days in 2011...like 10 people total there) for 2012 Blabaer. Plastic-y mess. My lack of beer judgment and foresight was astounding.
Blabaer must be a goldmine for Danes looking to exploit #newmoney Americans for legit American whales.

I do too. Subsequent vintages have been great. Either I drank a bad bottle or 2012 was not a very good year.

2013 was incredibly mediocre, like a glass of blueberry wood.

Not that Untapped is some scientific source of data, but one place I think it can have some value is comparing the ratings for vintages of the same beer (since that can sort-of remove hype/name/etc factor from any comparison), so long as there are enough check-ins. 2013 has the lowest average of any Blabaer vintage at 3.93 (almost all others are 4.2 or higher), whereas 2012 is actually pretty good with 4.45, so maybe you just got a bad bottle.

2013 was incredibly mediocre, like a glass of blueberry wood.

Not that Untapped is some scientific source of data, but one place I think it can have some value is comparing the ratings for vintages of the same beer (since that can sort-of remove hype/name/etc factor from any comparison), so long as there are enough check-ins. 2013 has the lowest average of any Blabaer vintage at 3.93 (almost all others are 4.2 or higher), whereas 2012 is actually pretty good with 4.45, so maybe you just got a bad bottle.
Should have said "subsequent vintages that I tried". Never had the 13 and now I'm happy I didn't. Yeah, sounds like I just had a dud (or the storage and provenance were awful and suspect, respectively).

An amazingly generous member sent me a 2010 Blab in a secret santa BIF a few years ago. We opened it at a tasting alongside St. Lam. I'm sure you guys could guess which one we all preferred. It's still the GOAT 'loon label though.
images

My GOAT Cantillon label

An amazingly generous member sent me a 2010 Blab in a secret santa BIF a few years ago. We opened it at a tasting alongside St. Lam. I'm sure you guys could guess which one we all preferred. It's still the GOAT 'loon label though.
I haven't had much St Lam but the 2005 bottle shared by Colin is one of the greatest beers I've ever tasted.

Edit: wouldn't let me post the video, but it was a lineup from a share 7 years ago today. Oh well. There were some forgotten whales in there.

Wanna expand on that? Or just leave us hanging?

Trying to upload via alternate means, and maybe whales was an overstatement, but BA Hi-Fi Rye, Double Black, Brute, and some of the Cascades that have been a topic of discussion in the "Let's Remember Some Sours" thread.

Back