lessons learned from 2nd batch and 1 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNick73

Reaction score
Did my 2nd batch this afternoon (AHS Irish Red) and learned a few things

1. Rehydrating the yeast helps! I tossed the 2 packs of muntons in a cup of room temp water while cooling the wort and 4 hours later there is a CONSTANT flow of gas coming out of the blowoff and star-san foam coming out of the jug. At this rate it'll be over by Friday/Saturday. (btw I also used the "yeast fuel" too)

2. Wort chillers are AWSOME, I built one myself and it took 10-15 mins. to bring the wort down to 85 degrees with an ice bath. Took me 45 mins the last time w/o one.

3. Does anyone know of any hop flavoring charts? I'm on drinking last batch and there's still a flavor I don't like that I think might actually be one fo the hops used (I over hopped) It's still very drinkable though just want to avoid it in the future if thats the case. BTW I've noticed it in some commercial beers and think it might be the cascades but wanna make sure.

1. Rehydrating dry yeast with water is crucial to the yeast's health. Don't use wort, or just sprinkle the yeast into the wort. During the hydrating phase, when the yeast is coming back to life, the cell walls cannot control what goes through the cell and scientists believe that sugars in wort can actually damage the "helpless" cells, even kill them, leaving you with less cells than intended.
3. Go to more beer and look at their hop descriptions to get a feel of the flavors some hops may offer. However, there is no substitute for experience. You just have to brew with the hops to know how they taste, mesh with other hops or malt flavors, etc... You could buy beers that feature certain hops to get some ideas about how those hops taste. E.G. Cascade- SNPA, Northern Brewer-Anchor Steam, Centennial-Stone Ruination

you really don't need to pitch 2 packets of dried yeast, there's enough in 1 packet for like 10-15 gallons.

Iordz said:
Go to more beer and look at their hop descriptions to get a feel of the flavors some hops may offer.
I'd not seen that before. That's a great site - thanks!

z987k said:
you really don't need to pitch 2 packets of dried yeast, there's enough in 1 packet for like 10-15 gallons.

I figured that but the kit came with 2 packs and said pitch em both so I did.

Back