Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mcaudio said:
Brewed the extract version this week. OG was 1.058. Messed something up somewhere but I'm sure it will be fine. Will be adding limeade this weekend. So far it smells great in the fermenter.

Brewed this a month and a half ago. IMHO ...do not add the limeade. It is very hard for me to drink a whole pint of. I brewed 5 gallons all grain and still have a good amount left. This was not the beer for me. The limeade i felt almost gave it a salty taste.

Oh and let me preface this by saying I'm not trolling and I do own many leather bound books and my house smells of rich mahogany but1 question:

Why is this recipe not in the fruit beer category?

Oh and let me preface this by saying I'm not trolling and I do own many leather bound books and my house smells of rich mahogany but1 question:

The Nazis were really into categories too...... just sayin.

butterpants said:
The Nazis were really into categories too...... just sayin.

C'mon i can't let this one slip.....
What does this make the bjcp guidelines?
20A: Fruit Beer
Aroma
The distinctive aromatics associated with the particular fruit(s) should be noticeable in the aroma; however, note that some fruit (e.g., raspberries, cherries) have stronger aromas and are more distinctive than others (e.g., blueberries, strawberries)–allow for a range of fruit character and intensity from subtle to aggressive. The fruit character should be pleasant and supportive, not artificial and inappropriately overpowering (considering the character of the fruit) nor should it have defects such as oxidation. As with all specialty beers, a proper fruit beer should be a harmonious balance of the featured fruit(s) with the underlying beer style. Aroma hops, yeast by-products and malt components of the underlying beer may not be as noticeable when fruit are present. These components (especially hops) may also be intentionally subdued to allow the fruit character to come through in the final presentation. If the base beer is an ale then a non-specific fruitiness and/or other fermentation by-products such as diacetyl may be present as appropriate for warmer fermentations. If the base beer is a lager, then overall less fermentation byproducts would be appropriate. Some malt aroma may be desirable, especially in dark styles. Hop aroma may be absent or balanced with fruit, depending on the style. The fruit should add an extra complexity to the beer, but not be so prominent as to unbalance the resulting presentation. Some tartness may be present if naturally occurring in the particular fruit(s), but should not be inappropriately intense.

Appearance
Appearance should be appropriate to the base beer being presented and will vary depending on the base beer. For lighter-colored beers with fruits that exhibit distinctive colors, the color should be noticeable. Note that the color of fruit in beer is often lighter than the flesh of the fruit itself and may take on slightly different shades. Fruit beers may have some haze or be clear, although haze is a generally undesirable. The head may take on some of the color of the fruit.

Flavor
As with aroma, the distinctive flavor character associated with the particular fruit(s) should be noticeable, and may range in intensity from subtle to aggressive. The balance of fruit with the underlying beer is vital, and the fruit character should not be so artificial and/or inappropriately overpowering as to suggest a fruit juice drink. Hop bitterness, flavor, malt flavors, alcohol content, and fermentation by-products, such as esters or diacetyl, should be appropriate to the base beer and be harmonious and balanced with the distinctive fruit flavors present. Note that these components (especially hops) may be intentionally subdued to allow the fruit character to come through in the final presentation. Some tartness may be present if naturally occurring in the particular fruit(s), but should not be inappropriately intense. Remember that fruit generally add flavor not sweetness to fruit beers. The sugar found in fruit is usually fully fermented and contributes to lighter flavors and a drier finish than might be expected for the declared base style. However, residual sweetness is not necessarily a negative characteristic unless it has a raw, unfermented quality.

Mouthfeel
Mouthfeel may vary depending on the base beer selected and as appropriate to that base beer. Body and carbonation levels should be appropriate to the base beer style being presented. Fruit generally adds fermentables that tend to thin out the beer; the resulting beer may seem lighter than expected for the declared base style.

Overall Impression
A harmonious marriage of fruit and beer. The key attributes of the underlying style will be different with the addition of fruit; do not expect the base beer to taste the same as the unadulterated version. Judge the beer based on the pleasantness and balance of the resulting combination.

Comments
Overall balance is the key to presenting a well-made fruit beer. The fruit should complement the original style and not overwhelm it. The brewer should recognize that some combinations of base beer styles and fruits work well together while others do not make for harmonious combinations. THE ENTRANT MUST SPECIFY THE UNDERLYING BEER STYLE AS WELL AS THE TYPE OF FRUIT(S) USED. IF THIS BEER IS BASED ON A CLASSIC STYLE (E.G., BLONDE ALE) THEN THE SPECIFIC STYLE MUST BE SPECIFIED. CLASSIC STYLES DO NOT HAVE TO BE CITED (E.G., "PORTER" OR "WHEAT ALE" IS ACCEPTABLE). THE TYPE OF FRUIT(S) MUST ALWAYS BE SPECIFIED. If the base beer is a classic style, the original style should come through in aroma and flavor. Note that fruit-based lambics should be entered in the Fruit Lambic category (17F), while other fruit-based Belgian specialties should be entered in the Belgian Specialty Ale category (16E). Aged fruit may sometimes have flavor and aroma characteristics similar to Sauternes, Sherry or Tokaj, but a beer with a quality such as this should make a special claim (e.g., amontillado, fino, botrytis). Beer with chile peppers should be entered in the Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer category (21A).

History
N/A

Ingredients
N/A

Vital Statistics
OG: N/A
FG: N/A
IBU: N/A
SRM: N/A
ABV: N/A
Commercial Examples
New Glarus Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart, Bell's Cherry Stout, Dogfish Head Aprihop, Great Divide Wild Raspberry Ale, Founders Rübæus, Ebulum Elderberry Black Ale, Stiegl Radler, Weyerbacher Raspberry Imperial Stout, Abita Purple Haze, Melbourne Apricot Beer and Strawberry Beer, Saxer Lemon Lager, Magic Hat #9, Grozet Gooseberry and Wheat Ale, Pyramid Apricot Ale, Dogfish Head Fort

Umm yea I'm pretty sure the Nazi party was in on the BJCP guideline writing too.... :)

isac777 said:

I didn't put it in the fruit category because I don't put whole fruits in it ....and if I did, it would require a different fermentation process....in the end, I don't do competitions so the label is irrelevant to me, I just care that my family and friends like it!

Hey guys! I need some help. Is the .25 of hops called for in this recipe .25 oz or .25 lbs? I want to brew this tomorrow. Thank you for the assistance. I am a new home brewer as you might have guessed!

Thanks,
Matt

After looking at it closer it has to be .25 oz. just didn't seem like enough hops but I guess it isn't an IPA.

.25 lbs would be 4 ounces. It would be unrealistic to think that a whole pound of hops would be added to this beer.....

Just wanted to throw in another recommendation for this recipe. I brewed it back in April and saved a few bottles for the Blue Ridge Brew Off in Asheville in September. Entered it in category 20 and didn't place, but scored a 38. Not bad for a five month old Hefe.

The bottles that I didn't hold back were gone in no time back in April. Everyone loved it.

disney7 said:
Just wanted to throw in another recommendation for this recipe. I brewed it back in April and saved a few bottles for the Blue Ridge Brew Off in Asheville in September. Entered it in category 20 and didn't place, but scored a 38. Not bad for a five month old Hefe.

The bottles that I didn't hold back were gone in no time back in April. Everyone loved it.

Glad you liked it, sorry you didn't win!

C'mon i can't let this one slip.....
What does this make the bjcp guidelines?
20A: Fruit Beer
Aroma
The distinctive aromatics associated with the particular fruit(s) should be noticeable in the aroma; however, note that some fruit (e.g., raspberries, cherries) have stronger aromas and are more distinctive than others (e.g., blueberries, strawberries)–allow for a range of fruit character and intensity from subtle to aggressive. The fruit character should be pleasant and supportive, not artificial and inappropriately overpowering (considering the character of the fruit) nor should it have defects such as oxidation. As with all specialty beers, a proper fruit beer should be a harmonious balance of the featured fruit(s) with the underlying beer style. Aroma hops, yeast by-products and malt components of the underlying beer may not be as noticeable when fruit are present. These components (especially hops) may also be intentionally subdued to allow the fruit character to come through in the final presentation. If the base beer is an ale then a non-specific fruitiness and/or other fermentation by-products such as diacetyl may be present as appropriate for warmer fermentations. If the base beer is a lager, then overall less fermentation byproducts would be appropriate. Some malt aroma may be desirable, especially in dark styles. Hop aroma may be absent or balanced with fruit, depending on the style. The fruit should add an extra complexity to the beer, but not be so prominent as to unbalance the resulting presentation. Some tartness may be present if naturally occurring in the particular fruit(s), but should not be inappropriately intense.

Appearance
Appearance should be appropriate to the base beer being presented and will vary depending on the base beer. For lighter-colored beers with fruits that exhibit distinctive colors, the color should be noticeable. Note that the color of fruit in beer is often lighter than the flesh of the fruit itself and may take on slightly different shades. Fruit beers may have some haze or be clear, although haze is a generally undesirable. The head may take on some of the color of the fruit.

Flavor
As with aroma, the distinctive flavor character associated with the particular fruit(s) should be noticeable, and may range in intensity from subtle to aggressive. The balance of fruit with the underlying beer is vital, and the fruit character should not be so artificial and/or inappropriately overpowering as to suggest a fruit juice drink. Hop bitterness, flavor, malt flavors, alcohol content, and fermentation by-products, such as esters or diacetyl, should be appropriate to the base beer and be harmonious and balanced with the distinctive fruit flavors present. Note that these components (especially hops) may be intentionally subdued to allow the fruit character to come through in the final presentation. Some tartness may be present if naturally occurring in the particular fruit(s), but should not be inappropriately intense. Remember that fruit generally add flavor not sweetness to fruit beers. The sugar found in fruit is usually fully fermented and contributes to lighter flavors and a drier finish than might be expected for the declared base style. However, residual sweetness is not necessarily a negative characteristic unless it has a raw, unfermented quality.

Mouthfeel
Mouthfeel may vary depending on the base beer selected and as appropriate to that base beer. Body and carbonation levels should be appropriate to the base beer style being presented. Fruit generally adds fermentables that tend to thin out the beer; the resulting beer may seem lighter than expected for the declared base style.

Overall Impression
A harmonious marriage of fruit and beer. The key attributes of the underlying style will be different with the addition of fruit; do not expect the base beer to taste the same as the unadulterated version. Judge the beer based on the pleasantness and balance of the resulting combination.

Comments
Overall balance is the key to presenting a well-made fruit beer. The fruit should complement the original style and not overwhelm it. The brewer should recognize that some combinations of base beer styles and fruits work well together while others do not make for harmonious combinations. THE ENTRANT MUST SPECIFY THE UNDERLYING BEER STYLE AS WELL AS THE TYPE OF FRUIT(S) USED. IF THIS BEER IS BASED ON A CLASSIC STYLE (E.G., BLONDE ALE) THEN THE SPECIFIC STYLE MUST BE SPECIFIED. CLASSIC STYLES DO NOT HAVE TO BE CITED (E.G., "PORTER" OR "WHEAT ALE" IS ACCEPTABLE). THE TYPE OF FRUIT(S) MUST ALWAYS BE SPECIFIED. If the base beer is a classic style, the original style should come through in aroma and flavor. Note that fruit-based lambics should be entered in the Fruit Lambic category (17F), while other fruit-based Belgian specialties should be entered in the Belgian Specialty Ale category (16E). Aged fruit may sometimes have flavor and aroma characteristics similar to Sauternes, Sherry or Tokaj, but a beer with a quality such as this should make a special claim (e.g., amontillado, fino, botrytis). Beer with chile peppers should be entered in the Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer category (21A).

History
N/A

Ingredients
N/A

Vital Statistics
OG: N/A
FG: N/A
IBU: N/A
SRM: N/A
ABV: N/A
Commercial Examples
New Glarus Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart, Bell's Cherry Stout, Dogfish Head Aprihop, Great Divide Wild Raspberry Ale, Founders Rübæus, Ebulum Elderberry Black Ale, Stiegl Radler, Weyerbacher Raspberry Imperial Stout, Abita Purple Haze, Melbourne Apricot Beer and Strawberry Beer, Saxer Lemon Lager, Magic Hat #9, Grozet Gooseberry and Wheat Ale, Pyramid Apricot Ale, Dogfish Head Fort

According to the reinheitsgebot, N/A is an unacceptable ingredient! (now read it with a German voice).

Then again, it's a fruit beer. Its already illegal in Germany.

Need some help guys. I've had this in the carboy for 24 days. I had a OG of 1.052 and last reading took was 1.022. I followed the recipe exactly as it was described and been fermenting around 70 degrees. Any suggestions on why the gravity is taking so long to drop? Any recommendation?

loudrail said:
Need some help guys. I've had this in the carboy for 24 days. I had a OG of 1.052 and last reading took was 1.022. I followed the recipe exactly as it was described and been fermenting around 70 degrees. Any suggestions on why the gravity is taking so long to drop? Any recommendation?

Fermentation temps can only be measured by the core of the wort....for example, if the exterior of your fermenter reads 70, chances are the internal temp at the core is around 74 to 75....so that could be one idea. You could have had some defective yeast, which just happens every now and then.

just wanted to follow up on my extract version. in a nutshell here's the recipe I ended up using:

6lbs DME wheat
.5lb DME extra light
1lb Vienna

heated 4 gallons of water to 160 degrees. Let Vienna steep 25 minutes (too busy talking to my neighbor that just got a home brew kit). boiled, added the Wheat DME (added the other DME around 30 minutes into the boil -not sure why, just seemed to be the right thing to do?) then followed the posted hops schedule:
0.25oz Motueka Hops at 60 Minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
0.25 Motueka Hops 20 minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes

didn't add any lime zest.

made a 1.5liter starter with White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast the night before. Cooled to 80 degrees, added water to bring OG to 1.055 (around 6 gallons total) and pitched the yeast.

fermentation was bubbly by the next morning, explosive by the next evening (good thing I used a blow off tube! By the way- how do you clean out the messy tube?). on the 3rd night, I added 1.75 liter bottle of simply raspberry lemonade. didn't get to check on it till after the weekend (another 2 days since adding lemonade). Didn't seem to be as much blowoff, but could have just settled down more. still bubby 5 or 6 days later...

kegged @ 1.009 for final ABV 5.41% if I did my calculations correctly.

overall I really like it. I'm not a huge Hefe drinking but my german friend came over and really enjoyed it quite a bit.

Biggest thing I'd like to change for the next round is to make it lighter. Mine came out more of an IPA color than a lighter Hefe.. any ideas of what I could do to lighten it up? add DME later in the boil? less wheat and more extra light?

but two thumbs up on the recipe!

Slim - finally tried this beer last night after much excitement and anticipation. My wife and I love it. Glad I already have the supplies on hand to make another 10 gallons. Thanks for the recipe.

Coppinburgh said:
I am three days in on this one and I still have a pretty active airlock. Safe to add lime aid ya think?

If you do, then switch to a blow off tube.....or if your fermenting in a bottle, then you can sanitize a sheet of aluminum foil, lightly cap the top (making sure foil drapes down the side a a couple of inches) and this will let the gases out without letting wild yeast in.

Wow! This is a great beer. I was still tinkering with the psi on this pour so the heads a bit extreme. Thanks for the recipe. This will be on tap quite a bit here!

ForumRunner_20131122_135228.jpg

Coppinburgh said:
Wow! This is a great beer. I was still tinkering with the psi on this pour so the heads a bit extreme. Thanks for the recipe. This will be on tap quite a bit here!

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

SD-SLIM said:
After brewing this beer several times and having other people brew it as well....I can tell you this will be one of your favorite recipes! All Grain [*]6.25lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) [*]4lbs White Wheat Malt [*]1lb Vienna Malt [*]****Mash 158 for 45 minutes**** [*]0.25 Motueka Hops at 60 Minutes [*]0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes [*]0.25 Motueka Hops 20 minutes [*]0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes [*]0.50 Lime Zest 5 Minutes [*]White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast [*]****Start Vigorous Fermentation**** [*]After Vigorous Fermentation subsides, add 1.75L Simply Limeade [*]****Ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks**** Extract [*]7lbs 12.6 Ounces of Wheat Liquid Extract [*]10.7 Ounces of Pale Liquid Extract [*]Follow rest of All Grain Recipe This beer is a great every day drinker, I recommend a frosty mug and a lime garnish!

Is this recipe for a 5 gallon batch?

Is this recipe for a 5 gallon batch?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs Hefeweizen IV
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.01
IBU: 11.9
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.0
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3
Tasting Notes: Lemon-Lime in your face flavor....real easy to drink and drink and drink!

KirkD said:
Recipe Type: All Grain Yeast: White Labs Hefeweizen IV Batch Size (Gallons): 6 Original Gravity: 1.051 Final Gravity: 1.01 IBU: 11.9 Boiling Time (Minutes): 60 Color: 4.0 Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3 Tasting Notes: Lemon-Lime in your face flavor....real easy to drink and drink and drink!

Awesome, thanks

Had my eye on this beer since September, just got into all grain brewing recently, this will be my second all grain brew. Another reason I haven't made it yet is I couldn't get the hops at my LHBS, and even couldn't find mouteka at the Concord CA Morebeer warehouse (I live within driving distance).

So I go into the LHBS in my town, surprised to see they have both citra and sorachi ace in stock. As well as American wheat yeast. Not a hard decision to switch from an amber ale to this.

Will be brewing on Friday.. I'll report back, really looking forward to this brew.

Had my eye on this beer since September, just got into all grain brewing recently, this will be my second all grain brew. Another reason I haven't made it yet is I couldn't get the hops at my LHBS, and even couldn't find mouteka at the Concord CA Morebeer warehouse (I live within driving distance).

So I go into the LHBS in my town, surprised to see they have both citra and sorachi ace in stock. As well as American wheat yeast. Not a hard decision to switch from an amber ale to this.

Will be brewing on Friday.. I'll report back, really looking forward to this brew.

I subbed Motueka with Citra, came out amazing.

Tasted this for the first time last night, it was great. Only my 2nd all grain brew, followed the recipe to the t I was a little high on the FG but this could have been my mash temps being a little higher. I usually don't like wheat beer, but the citrus bite at the end just makes this awesome.
I originally brewed this for SWMBO but I think we may end up fighting over it.
Thanks SD-SLIM for this awesome recipe!

Spoonmann said:
Tasted this for the first time last night, it was great. Only my 2nd all grain brew, followed the recipe to the t I was a little high on the FG but this could have been my mash temps being a little higher. I usually don't like wheat beer, but the citrus bite at the end just makes this awesome. I originally brewed this for SWMBO but I think we may end up fighting over it. Thanks SD-SLIM for this awesome recipe!
Glad y'all liked it...prevent a fight, brew more!!!!

Latest posts

Back