Legality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkortum

Reaction score
Is it legal to sell home-brewed fermented store bought juice with the proper licensing (manufacturing and distributing) without the permission of the juice company?

If you were a legally incorporated business with all the proper permits and you want to be profitable, using store bought juice brands is probably not your best bet.

True. But yes. Once you own the juice, you can do with it as you please. However, you can't use their trademarked name without permission. "Made with Welch's Grape juice" wouldnt be allowed. Made With Grape Juice would be fine.

No lock needed. He is asking about using fermentables in a legal business
kkortum said:
...with the proper licensing (manufacturing and distributing)...

It is no different from using Briess-brand malt. You are using a brand name product and converting it to your own uses. Some country wine recipes might use Crystal-brand sugar.

The only difference is that if you advertised your beer as "using Briess-brand malt" Briess probably wouldn't sue you because it is a true statement and isn't causing harm to their brand. However, if you declared the use of Welch's brand grape juice, Welch's might not appreciate it as they probably prefer a more wholesome reputation. However, even then, you would probably be within your rights to state it on the label... But using their trademarks and stuff (Or Briess's for that matter) without permission would be illegal in the commonly-used sense if the word.

Speaking of malt. I think they should come out with new kinds of malt like they do new kinds of hops.

Speaking of malt. I think they should come out with new kinds of malt like they do new kinds of hops.

I'm sure Monsanto is working on (or already has) a genetically modified barley seed just for you. :cross:

There's only so many varieties of barley (and that's fine by me) and all the types of malt needed already exist for all the types of beer that exist. What you really need invent a new variety of beer.... then the maltsters can make a malt that works best for that style of beer.

Ya. I suppose if you count all the different specialty grain. Then ther's alot of different.

Is it legal to sell home-brewed fermented store bought juice with the proper licensing (manufacturing and distributing) without the permission of the juice company?

How would the juice company know you are using their juice? ... unless you keep it in the original packaging.

My neighbor who makes wine has been thinking about Halloween treats and asked for an alcoholic suggestion, so I suggested he ferment juice boxes and hand them out.

I said EC-1118 would probably work if injected through the foil seal - and probably wouldn't need an air lock if a hypodermic syringe was used for the yeast injection ... maybe just a piece of tape over the seal afterwards.

Not for handing out to the kiddies ... considering even candy cigarettes and bubble-gum cigars are suspect ... but would be a cute if not inane idea for adults.

Juicy-Juice or Motts would probably not be amused however.

How would the juice company know you are using their juice? ... unless you keep it in the original packaging.

My neighbor who makes wine has been thinking about Halloween treats and asked for an alcoholic suggestion, so I suggested he ferment juice boxes and hand them out.
I said EC-1118 would probably work if injected through the foil seal - and probably wouldn't need an air lock if a hypodermic syringe was used for the yeast injection ... maybe just a piece of tape over the seal afterwards.

Not for handing out to the kiddies ... considering even candy cigarettes and bubble-gum cigars are suspect ... but would be a cute, if not inane, idea for adults.

Juice box bombs, what a novel idea ;)

You're right, they wouldn't reproduce. But they would still go to work. You woulnd't have to hit proper pitching rates for fermentation to take place.

I guess I could have said "fully ferment", but I think you get my point. Injecting a syringe of yeast into a juice box would be highly inconsistent. I guess if he could get it to work it would be a nice novelty though.

I guess I could have said "fully ferment", but I think you get my point. Injecting a syringe of yeast into a juice box would be highly inconsistent. I guess if he could get it to work it would be a nice novelty though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not supporting the whole juice box thing. If you did what he suggested, I'm pretty sure they would just blow up or pop a hole somewhere and leak out all over the place.

With virtually no oxygen in the juicebox, how would it even ferment?

From the sugars in the fruit juice.

When yeast ferments it gets oxygen from two sources, one is the ambient free oxygen suspended in the liquid and/or from its exposure to airspace ... the other is molecularly from the sugar.

It is not quite accurate to say that the yeast "eats" sugar - it's more like it "breathes" it.

Whereas yeast effectively "eats" nutrients ... on the other hand it uses the sugar for oxygen by scavenging oxygen molecules (O2) from it.

This is the principle behind why you can kill the yeast off by cutting nutrients to it (such as by keeving cider) and there will be some residual sweetness/sugar ... sugar which of course has oxygen molecularly still attached - but resulting in a final product that is a stable and naturally sweet cider. A situation where you've "starved" the yeast.

As well, creating an injectable liquid by re-hydrating the yeast in water also gives it some oxygen exposure.

Juice box bombs, what a novel idea ;)

I was thinking that all the sediment and such that gets produced would be undesirable. Add to that the straw sucking off the bottom... Naw, better to make a few gallons and then re package into small containers.

BTW, in VA it is legal to give away up to 1 gallon to each receipent per year. Just incase the OP's friend is doing holloween in VA.

I was thinking that all the sediment and such that gets produced would be undesirable. Add to that the straw sucking off the bottom... Naw, better to make a few gallons and then re package into small containers.

Yup, ya might be right about the sediment. This ain't weissbier we're talkin about here.

I suppose just buying orange-juice juiceboxes and injecting vodka to make screwdriver boxes would be another thing ... but kinda takes all the fun out of forcing innocent juiceboxes into our evil fermenting web for the holiday.
devil-banana.gif

Latest posts

Back