Leftover IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhochman

Reaction score
I'm still relatively new to concocting my own recipes. I have a bunch of random ingredients lying around from different batches, so I thought I'd make an IPA out of them and call it "Leftover IPA." I'm looking for a straight up American IPA, nice and clean, hoppy. I own everything on the list below except the 2 row. Looking for feedback.

Expected OG: 1.056 SG
Expected FG: 1.014 SG
Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Expected ABV: 5.7 %
Expected ABW: 4.4 %
Expected IBU: (using Tinseth): 66.4 IBU
Expected Color: (using Morey): 10.3 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 1.18 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 ˚F

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US 2-Row Malt 10lb 0oz 83.3 % 3.3 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 60L Malt 1lb 0oz 8.3 % 10.9 In Mash/Steeped
German Carafa I 8.00 oz 4.2 % 0.2 In Mash/Steeped
German Melanoidin Malt 8.00 oz 4.2 % 2.3 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Magnum 13.5 % 1.00 oz 50.3 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
US Horizon 10.1 % 0.50 oz 9.3 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End
US Horizon 10.1 % 0.50 oz 3.7 Loose Pellet Hops 5 Min From End
NZ Cascade 7.1 % 1.00 oz 1.1 Loose Pellet Hops 1 Min From End
US Citra 12.5 % 1.00 oz 2.0 Loose Pellet Hops 1 Min From End
US Citra 12.0 % 1.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped

Yeasts
Yeast Strain Amount Used
DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle 1 pack

I also have 1 oz of Warrior, which I don't mind using, just didn't want to overdue it. Any thoughts? I think I need more malt to boost the OG a bit. Which would you add to?

No man left behind! Throw the warrior in that sucka!

disclaimer: comment is opinion and based on no actual experience or knowledge, throw in that sucka at own risk

Add some Munich malt or Crystal 20L to boost the OG and yes throw those warrior hops in there too.

Alright, so I'll add Warrior at the 30 min mark. Now the IBU is very high and I'll need to up that OG. I can get more Munich. Should I up the 2 row as well?

I'm now at 110 IBUs.

11# 2 row
2# munich
.5# carafoam
.5# melanoidin
.5# crystal 60

OG=1.068

I didn't want to go much bigger than that. I need to tinker with the hop schedule now. Need the magnum as my bittering hop since it doesn't do much else. What if I did a 30 minute boil?

I love an IPA with tons of crystal, there's a recipe over on the Canadian brewing forum for a Hawaiian IPA that had two pounds of crystal 60 in a 5 gallon batch that's great. The sweetness balances the extra bitterness in an IPA nicely.

You could move more of the hops to 5 minutes or less boil time. This could help lower the IBUs a little. The second dose of warrior you could also move to 20 minutes or 15 minutes replacing the other hop additions you moved lower. I personally like my hop additions for IPAs to either be at 60 minutes, or 5 minutes and under, flame out/whirlpool additions have that added benefit of not adding a lot of IBUs but jacking the aroma/flavor through the roof.

Back