Leaking carboy cap on Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turlian

Reaction score
So, I recently bought a 5Gal BB to do my first batch of Edwort's Apfelwein, and instead of the normal stopper, I bought a carboy cap.

Put the batch together last night, checked on it this morning and noticed that the airlock isn't bubbling despite noticeable yeast activity.

Long story short, my carboy cap is leaking. I'm fine with it leaking while fermentation is really active, but since this stuff is going to be in the carboy for at least the next 6 weeks how much should I care? Unless I hear something to the contrary, I'm just going to let it ride.

EDIT: Just noticed on the AHS site that they state specifically that it won't fit on a plastic carboy. Wish my LHBS had given me this info as well.

I've actually had them leak on glass ones as well (more with the 6.5 cap and carboy than the 6-gallon) I use them during heavy fermentation when I might need a blow-off, then change out to a rubber stopper and airlock once everything's calmed down.

With Apfelwein, I'd just use a rubber stopper. (I actually ferment mine in Homer buckets as to not take up my carboys)

-Arch

Latest posts

Back