Late addition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaffnJack

Reaction score
Hey all,

I had an extract recipe that I was doing a late addition on the extract, but when I added the rest of the extract, my temp dropped to 180 before I was finished with the addition. So my question is do I need to stop my time in the boil until I get my wort boiling again?

Thanks,
-j-

I add extra time to account for the time the wort was not boiling. The added time is usually 5 to 7 minutes.

Yes, that's the reason I like to add the late extract at flame out- it stops the boil, sure, but you're going to start chilling the wort in a few minutes anyway. Since even milk is pasteurized at 160 degrees in 30 seconds, adding the extract to the boiling wort is plenty hot to pasteurize it. Plus, it keeps the color lighter since it didn't get a chance to darken the extract during boiling.

Since it was added to the boil, then the wort has to be brought up to a boil this time and the time added onto the timer. Sometimes that can mess with hops additions, but hopefully it didn't in this case.

Appreciate the help. I figured that I should increase the boil time and that is what I did, but it is nice to hear that it was the right thing to do.

:mug:
Thanks
-J-

Back