Late addition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brak23

Reaction score
I've been doing some searching but nothing is answering my question.

I plan on doing late addition with my extract. I have an imperial stout kit from northern brewer. It's saying in the recipe: 6lb dark extract for 60 minute boil. And an additional lb dark extract for the last 15 minutes.

Is that already considered "late addition"? Or should I alter that to achieve proper late addition with my recipe.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the purpose of holding back any substantial portion of your extract until the end of the boil is to lighten up the color some. With a dark stout I don't believe it will really make much difference. Especially since the stout is supposed to be quite dark.

From what I'm reading, holding off on a lot of the extract reduces some of the potential "burnt extract taste".

My questions are:
1) Does this mostly apply to lighter beers or will I notice a difference with this stout?
2) Is the recipe making adjustments for that already? Or should I alter it (like adding the latter 6 lbs at flame out)

From what I'm reading, holding off on a lot of the extract reduces some of the potential "burnt extract taste".

My questions are:
1) Does this mostly apply to LME? Or DME as well?
2) Is the recipe making adjustments for that already? Or should I alter it (like adding the latter 6 lbs at flame out)

It looks like your recipe is accounting for it, but you can add more of the extract late in the boil without an issue.

You can use DME or LME in late additions, as the advantages apply to both types. It's harded to mix up DME at the end, though, as it tends to clump a bit more. You need a whisk when you add the DME, but a spoon will do it for the LME. Just make sure you take the pot off of the heat while stirring it in, so you don't get a big clump of burned extract on the bottom of the pot!

It looks like your recipe is accounting for it, but you can add more of the extract late in the boil without an issue.

You can use DME or LME in late additions, as the advantages apply to both types. It's harded to mix up DME at the end, though, as it tends to clump a bit more. You need a whisk when you add the DME, but a spoon will do it for the LME. Just make sure you take the pot off of the heat while stirring it in, so you don't get a big clump of burned extract on the bottom of the pot!

Awesome thanks!

Just for future reference. Is there any sort of "common rule" when figuring out how much extract to boil for 60 min and how much to put in the late addition. Say if I just had 5 pounds of extract to boil, would I do like 2 pounds to start and the 3 at the end?

+1 Watch for clumps or you might have to extend your boil till they are all gone.

Awesome thanks!

Just for future reference. Is there any sort of "common rule" when figuring out how much extract to boil for 60 min and how much to put in the late addition. Say if I just had 5 pounds of extract to boil, would I do like 2 pounds to start and the 3 at the end?

Generally, use one pound of extract for every gallon of water you're boiling. But you can go less or more. I'd usually add the LME at the end, even if it was more, as I don't like the boiled extract taste.

Back