Last minute sachet replacement yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdickerson76

Reaction score
First brew in 5 years happened. Picked up a Brewers Best Guava Hazy IPA kit. Followed instructions. Yeast was rehydrated, but wort was not cool enough to pitch. Took 90 minutes to drop to high 60's in an ice bath. Was overly concerned about the yeast being any good after that amount of time exposed...it was covered with sanitized tin foil...so I used a pack of WLP001 brought to room temperature before pitching. Never used Sachet yeast before so I'm not sure what characteristics of that yeast I'll be lacking in this brew. Any feedback on similar situations or sachet yeast welcome.

The Brewer's Best site doesn't say what their yeast was. WLP001 should be fine. The other yeast was OK as it was also.

But one pack of WLP001 without a starter was a little of an underpitch. I always make starters when using liquid yeast. You never know how well the pack has been handled before you get it, thus you don't know the viability of the yeast. (how many cells remain alive and how healthy they are.)

The yeast would have been fine being covered with foil for a while. You didn't use it, and used WLP001 instead? What kind of dry yeast was it?
Correct. Threw the dry and used liquid. Lallemand is the.brand name. British style beer yeast is the description, which threw me off because this is an IPA kit.

Back