Large scales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR brewing

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a scale to keep my Grainfather on in order to measure accurate water volumes throughout the brew day. Has anyone done something similar? What are scale recommendations?

All feedback is appreciated!

i got a postal scale that as long as plugged in stays on for my co2 tank....accurate to the ounce, or tenth or so, and good for 110 lb's.....but it's got a small footprint....

edit: could put a board under your grainfather i suppose? the read out is detached also.....

i got a postal scale that as long as plugged in stays on for my co2 tank....accurate to the ounce, or tenth or so, and good for 110 lb's.....but it's got a small footprint....

edit: could put a board under your grainfather i suppose? the read out is detached also.....

Not a bad idea. How small of a footprint? It maybe a concern of the whole vessel sliding off the scale if too small.

I like the idea of using it for co2 tanks when not actively brewing.

You may be looking at a platform scale (if that's what they're called). Similar to the ones for weighing your pet at the vet's office, just smaller. I don't know how accurate they are, I always take their readout with a grain of salt.*

Not sure how safe they are to leave a filled GF on, or how heat resistant they are when it's cooking. There's quite some heat coming down from the bottom.

* We had some interesting experiences with that. We like to correlate with our bathroom scale for reference, using the person/differential method. ;)

That said, if we had known we'd be having dogs all our life we should have bought a proper pet scale. Except, they were priced way out of the market, even as recently as 5-10 years ago. Only lately they're more or less affordable.

Last edited:
I use a gallon plastic container (mayonnaise jar) for measuring my water.
A marked quart plastic take-out beaker for smaller amounts. They're nearly indestructible. ;)

And a dipstick in the kettle. Depth => Volume.

I always take the readout with a grain of salt.

mine seems pretty accurate, to the 2 tenths of an ounce....

edit: and i just put a bag of beans on my tank again, perfectly 1lb....(but i'm just looking to notice quick changes?)

or how heat resistant they are when it's cooking. There's quite some heat coming down from the bottom.

good point, i've noticed now that things are warming up, my scale is reading a bit different....

mine seems pretty accurate, to the 2 tenths of an ounce....
Our scales are fairly accurate too, I was referring to the scale at the vet's office... [I've edited that post]

At this one vet's place our 34# dog had suddenly gained 10# just for being in their fancy office. They also recommended a diet for him... He apparently lost that extra weight on the ride back home, and was at his normal 34# weight again when we put him on our own scale. How does that happen?

Although weighing was "free" (yeah-yeah), you had to pay a $22.50 "tech fee" for administering a medication/injection, in addition to the cost of the medicine itself... Arf-arf.

Never went to that outfit again, they must have everyone coming...

Last edited:
Our scales are fairly accurate too,

someone brought up, leaving weight on them for long duration's in my thread.....only reason i mentioned it. this still is spot on with a now 44lb co2 tank sitting on it, for months....

i think a square of plywood would work for the scale, and heat..?

Back