Lalvin 71b-1122 for Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazytwoknobs

Reaction score
I've done multiple batches of apfelwein with Montrachet, Muntons, wyeast 3068, Safale S-05, and now Lalvin 71b-1122.

It hasn't started fermenting really. There's some foamish stuff, maybe, not really. It's been 72 hours. How sensitive is this yeast?

I'm even thinking one of the juicemakers used sorbate or something.

if you are really concerned take a gravity reading. Wine yeast is low foam.. signs of fermentation are not as apparent as beer yeast. Ive used that yeast on some mead thats much much higher gravity and it worked well. Lalvin comes in like 5g packages, so that may explain the lag. Whats the temperature?

Temperature is a bit high, 71-74. It's a 1gal batch, so I only added half the packet.

I guess the airlock has positive pressure, but it's been a slow ferment, I haven't seen it bubble. And yeah, beer yeast takes off like crazy compared to this stuff.

Wow, low foam, no visible bubbles, geez. It's goin, but I was expecting a show. I did it as a demonstration batch at a friends house, and so I only get to see it from time to time. Beer yeast or montrachet next time for sure.

There are visible signs of vigorous fermentation at present.

Last night the bubbles were present at a rate similar to montrachet or safale. I'm told it started visibly bubbling monday night, so the "visible" lag time from pitch to fizz was... friday night to monday night. On Sunday the airlock was bubbling at a very slow rate, and there were no visible bubbles. I understand this now, as the bubbles don't form a krausen of any kind, so super tiny unseen bubbles would have been able to create pressure in the airlock.

My last batches (safale s-05) started visibly bubbling and airlock activity in two to three hours, so I was worried.

I'll be doing batches at other friends' houses soon and I'll be using safale so that fermentation is more visible and immediate. More "exciting" to watch I guess is what I'm saying.

It's been about 70 days now, still cloudy. Who knows. I spun the jug and it seemed like some of the little pellet things never totally dissolved.

Oh wells, I was hoping for a more exciting fermentation so my friends would keep interest in it. All I hear about it now is "can we open it?"

I used the 71b for my last batch of Apfelwein!!! :ban::ban::ban:
It is still aging but that little swig was great!
The 71b is pretty gentle to start then takes off pretty nicely....you end up with a little thin ring of bubbles, thats about it.

I hydrated with some warm apple juice and Dextrose to get it going!

Big "A";669790 said:
I used the 71b for my last batch of Apfelwein!!! :ban::ban::ban:
It is still aging but that little swig was great!
The 71b is pretty gentle to start then takes off pretty nicely....you end up with a little thin ring of bubbles, thats about it.

I hydrated with some warm apple juice and Dextrose to get it going!
What was the bottling SG with 71b, was it any sweeter than mono? How does it compare?
I currently have 2-1 gallon batches with 71b I'll report back when I try it. I am going to start the original recipe in a 5 gallon batch with mono yeast, but I couldn't find treetop apple juice so I bought Motts(from concentrate). I need to know what the original taste like, otherwise it's hard to test another yeast.

What was the bottling SG with 71b, was it any sweeter than mono? How does it compare?
I currently have 2-1 gallon batches with 71b I'll report back when I try it. I am going to start the original recipe in a 5 gallon batch with mono yeast, but I couldn't find treetop apple juice so I bought Motts(from concentrate). I need to know what the original taste like, otherwise it's hard to test another yeast.

Off the top of my head I believe it hit 0.996 FG. I'll have to check later. Umm, the Orignial (Which is absolutely wonderful especially after some Bottle aging) is a bit drier even at the lower even though the abv is about the same. with the montrachet yeast it taste much like an apple champagne. The batch made with the 71B is.....I guess I would describe it as a Demi-Sec. It has all the fruit aroma and flavor without the sweetness that I dipise in most commercial ciders.

I must thank Ed Wort for creating this recipe my wife loves the stuff that I have aged and I think I will have to lock up this new batch, LOL:drunk:

Big "A";673072 said:
Off the top of my head I believe it hit 0.996 FG. I'll have to check later. Umm, the Orignial (Which is absolutely wonderful especially after some Bottle aging) is a bit drier even at the lower even though the abv is about the same. with the montrachet yeast it taste much like an apple champagne. The batch made with the 71B is.....I guess I would describe it as a Demi-Sec. It has all the fruit aroma and flavor without the sweetness that I dipise in most commercial ciders.

I must thank Ed Wort for creating this recipe my wife loves the stuff that I have aged and I think I will have to lock up this new batch, LOL:drunk:
I can't wait to try them, waiting is the hardest part!
smilie_saft1.gif

I've done multiple batches of apfelwein with Montrachet, Muntons, wyeast 3068, Safale S-05, and now Lalvin 71b-1122.

It hasn't started fermenting really. There's some foamish stuff, maybe, not really. It's been 72 hours. How sensitive is this yeast?

I'm even thinking one of the juicemakers used sorbate or something.

+1 on the Lalvin 71b-1122

Been in primary for 3 days. Not really any "active" visible fermentation, but there are some very fine bubbles occasionally on the side. Nothing from the airlock.

I'm hoping for a somewhat sweet cider when it's done. I'll report back in a few months :)

Back