Lalbrew Diamond Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Not sure why, but I ordered this yeast instead of the 34/70 that you all recommended and now or course I have a question. I know the fermentation temp is around 51 to 58 F, but what is the pitching temp? I am guessing around 60, but I am hoping somebody here has used this and can shed some light on it. Brew day is today so I will be checking in periodically to see what the pro's say.

Typically you would want to pitch colder than you plan to ferment at.

In my experience, this is a forgiving yeast and will give good clean results even if pitched and fermented in the 60s. YMMV
OK, cool. Thanks. Glad I asked cause I was going to pitch at 70 and drop it down to 58 in the fermenter. Will just buy some more ice. LOL

I now routinely pitch this yeast anywhere from 65-68 and ferment at 60. Excellent yeast!
I was going to ferment around 58, but if 60 works for you I might try that. Thanks for the reply. And thank you all for looking and replying. Brew day is going ok. Mash temp is floating between 150 and 154 which might be a bit high, but I am ok with it.

OK, brew day completed. Final totals. 5.25 gallons in the fermenter at 56 degrees pitched and sitting around 56 to 57. OG expected 1.049 Actual 1.052. Mash temp between 150 and 156 but more in the 150 to 152 range. Two packets of Diamond yeast pitched and now we wait. According to my recipe, 3 weeks in the fermenter and then another month or so to lager. It was a very goldish color, and that I think is what I was going for. Updates to follow, now, a beer to relax. LOL.

Last edited:
I made a Munich Dunkel and an Octoberfest with that yeast. I pressure fermented in a corny keg 12 psi at about 64 degrees. Both beers came out good

An interesting note of such. My last few brews I have noticed a sediment at the bottom of the bucket that I never noticed. It is usually just below the spigot, but this time it is a bit above. Once fermentation starts this usually goes away and I am left with a small amount of yeast settled to the bottom with a nice clean wort above. I am wondering if this is the yeast getting ready to hit the job and eat up? LOL. It has happened at least the last 3 that I can remember and goes away, so I am not overly concerned.

Also, not much action in the airlock. Before you all flame me, I know it is early and the airlock is more for entertainment than anything. LOL. But, while the door was open to the fermenting fridge, the temp raised from 57 to 58 and I saw a bit more action in the airlock. So I upped the temp to 58 just to see what happens. I am still in the range, so I am not worried. LOL. Ok, flame on!!!!!!! LOL

Back