LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't tempt me! I have enough trouble doing any base beers as is. The original recipe (Jackie O's clone) called for Belgian candi syrup and walnuts. I might have to start tinkering :)

On a slightly different note, how long should I let this sit in primary before kegging and conditioning in the keg? My standard practice is usually about two weeks in fermenter. Does this generally floc and clear quickly?

Generally I gelatin everything except NEIPA's so when I use Voss for that it would be hard to judge on floc and clear. I use gelatin due to the fact it brings the beers to maturation quicker as not having the wait time for everything to drop out in an extended keg conditioning step. Kegging on day 7 for Voss usually. My usual keg day is day 13 but in cases where I am doing additions to bump abv or maybe a fruit addition I wait longer but I have never pass kegging by day 21 and I make beers in 10/11/12% abv range regularly. With gelatin see through beers are usually crystal by day 2/3 in the keg and about the 10 day mark in the keg the beer won't change flavor wise much after that. Day 14 is usually a total lock on flavor profile if you want to wait that long to drink it.

Last edited:
Generally I gelatin everything except NEIPA's so when I use Voss for that it would be hard to judge on floc and clear. I use gelatin due to the fact it brings the beers to maturation quicker as not having the wait time for everything to drop out in an extended keg conditioning step. Kegging on day 7 for Voss usually. My usual keg day is day 13 but in cases where I am doing additions to bump abv or maybe a fruit addition I wait longer but I have never pass kegging by day 21 and I make beers in 10/11/12% abv range regularly. With gelatin see through beers are usually crystal by day 2/3 in the keg and about the 10 day mark in the keg the beer won't change flavor wise much after that. Day 14 is usually a total lock on flavor profile if you want to wait that long to drink it.
This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks so much!

Bottled a Mead yesterday with this yeast, and got 70% attenuation (1.105 to 1.030). Didn't quite go as far as I was hoping, but still came out great. I think I'm going to try this in a braggot and maybe a holiday barleywine next.

Bottled a Mead yesterday with this yeast, and got 70% attenuation (1.105 to 1.030). Didn't quite go as far as I was hoping, but still came out great. I think I'm going to try this in a braggot and maybe a holiday barleywine next.

I've done 5 brews now with Voss Kveik and it ferments quite fast at high temperatures and slows way down at 72F (my indoor temp). I did a 4.5% wheat beer in 2 days (at up to 95F), drinking it 5 days later (keg carb).

What temperature did you ferment at, I did a mead:
  • 3.8 lbs frozen raspberry
  • 2.8 lbs wildflower honey
  • 2g Voss Kveik
  • 1 gallon spring water (made about 1.5 gallon batch, primary in 2 gal bucket, then into 1 gallon + 0.5 gallon glass)
  • pectic enzymes in primary
and it fermented from 1.098 to 1.004 in 2.5 days at 80-99F (outside in the heat) -- at which point it was deathly tart (tasty but TART).

I have since added an obscene amount more honey (~58oz more total over 4 additions) and it would just keep refermenting (at 72F), that's been about a month at which point it finally stabilized and now I'm waiting for it to clear. It's still very tart but the sweetness level has finally balanced out and it's quite good.

I haven't attempted to determine the final ABV or gravity (my hydrometer broke spontaneously when I knocked it to the ground :)

But I have a replacement now and once it's clear I will take final readings.

I should just note in this thread... I made my best NEIPA with Voss recently. Tapped the keg thus evening and it was pretty much empty towards the end of brew night. Had 8 friends over towards the end. Delicious. I had 4 pints left a week later and damn.... I should have let it sit another week. Just a bit more darkness that i prefer. fermented at 86f.

I should just note in this thread... I made my best NEIPA with Voss recently. Tapped the keg thus evening and it was pretty much empty towards the end of brew night. Had 8 friends over towards the end. Delicious. I had 4 pints left a week later and damn.... I should have let it sit another week. Just a bit more darkness that i prefer. fermented at 86f.
Panderson1+ 8 friends and just shy of 9 six packs in a keg= somebody not pulling his/her weight! LOL 😜

Don't forget lots of yeast nutrient for Kveik especially high abv and if basically sugar based as for a mead. I find that they clear well without finings if you get them cold.

@TonyBrewing

80f, 8.5 lb honey and water to three gallons. I followed a BOMMish method with nutrients and degassing, though I added all the nutrients up front due to expected fermentation timeline. It kicked out some pretty heavy sulfur while it was going, but seems ok now.

Wondering about differences in attenuation? I have sample of one, but just have seen plenty of other people on there internet(yeah I know) with high OG's that attenuated in the 70s. I did pitch straight into the must without starter or rehydrating.

Did you do any aerating? The other thing I wonder about is if I'd stirred it up and got the yeast back into suspension. I just gently degassed, but have a Lee's stirrer may try that next time.

Usually I'd prefer a dryer end product, but have to admit this is pretty tasty!

One thing I noticed about the Voss NEIPA I made in three days fermenting at 95F day 4 (kegged, chilled and force carbed) was that the flavor has steadily improved over the past week - so while it can go from wort to beer in a few days, I am going to cold crash my next attempt and wait at least a week before drinking it.

I find the orange subsides a little with time, I had one kegged day 5, lasted 7wk, orange dropped a little by the end, still noticeable though. Next batch wasn't kegged until day 20 (wrath of God rain, water table pushed up basement slab, performed the famous Dance of The Sugar Plum Shop Vacs for 3 days, followed by the How High Can We Fill This Dumpster Requium in 4 part harmony). but that keg lasted 11 days (filling a dumpster makes you thirsty) and I really couldn't say the orange changed much.

I find the orange subsides a little with time, I had one kegged day 5, lasted 7wk, orange dropped a little by the end, still noticeable though. Next batch wasn't kegged until day 20 (wrath of God rain, water table pushed up basement slab, performed the famous Dance of The Sugar Plum Shop Vacs for 3 days, followed by the How High Can We Fill This Dumpster Requium in 4 part harmony). but that keg lasted 11 days (filling a dumpster makes you thirsty) and I really couldn't say the orange changed much.
Where I live, we get annual floods and typhoons. I can totally relate to this.

So, I couldn't leave my RIS alone and decided to add 0.45kg (1 lb) of table sugar after it reached terminal velocity at 1.026.

I heated the sugar with just enough water to cover for about 1 hour, possibly inverted, til it turned a nice toffee color and flavor. At the end of the heating process, when the sugar was coming out of solution due to not having enough water, I added some "finished" RIS to cool it down and to make sure the solid sugar dissolved again. This was added to the fermenter.

The gravity went up to 1.036 (according to my tilt) and then... Back down to 1.022. What the heck?! Why did it drop 4 more points? Did the sugar kickstart the yeast who munched on some complex sugars after finishing the table sugar?

Naturally, without answers, I messed with it more and added 100g of toasted walnuts and let it sit for a few more days. It is now kegged and the initial tastes were spectacular! It might not have any head retention thanks to the nuts but it is delicious. Very boozy, a bit hot, but it seems to be cleaning up/maturing much faster with the Voss.

My only issue is that I don't know how to calculate the ABV. I'm thinking it is somewhere around 11%.

The gravity went up to 1.036 (according to my tilt) and then... Back down to 1.022. What the heck?! Why did it drop 4 more points? Did the sugar kickstart the yeast who munched on some complex sugars after finishing the table sugar?
The alcohol that the sugar generated has lower SG than water, so the gravity would end up a little lower than what you had to start with (1.026 dpwn to 1.022). I don't know of an on-line calculator to check what it should drop to, but it seems reasonable. Maybe someone knows of a calculator, or a formula for this.

To be clear, it went up about as expected due to the increase in gravity from the added sugar. I was originally expecting it to drop back down to where it was before the sugar addition.

Both of your explanations are probably correct. Ethanol is less dense than water so it makes sense that it might float or cause striations. Along the same lines, the increase in alcohol probably would have resulted in a lower final gravity.

Its just not what my calculator (Brewers Friend) predicted so not what I was expecting. Oh well. I drank two glasses of room temp, uncarbed RIS right off the of the yeast cake and it was surprisingly good. Usually those final runnings that don't fit in the keg end up going down the drain...

I'm anxious to hear how some of the brews have come out, especially some of the more hoppy ales. As a new brewer it is so cool to read about this.
I just Brewed an English ESB Ale with it. It is conditioning now. The Yeast took off like Gangbusters needed a Blowoff tube 5 hours after pitching.

Attachments

• 20211006_052011.jpg
    20211006_052011.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 20211006_071453.mp4
    23.3 MB
  • 20211006_142807.mp4
    22.5 MB
  • 20211012_062337.jpg
    20211012_062337.jpg
    893 KB · Views: 17
Imma make my pasteurize-only-no-boil-20min-whirlpool-hops-only-Voss-hazy-session-IPA
Azacca, Mosaic, Galaxy, and <wait for it> something different than Amarillo

Bergamot.

Supposed to be very orange. We'll see how it plays with the orange esters I get from ferment-and-serve-in-keg at 95F Lalemand Voss Kveik.

I know you're all breathless with antici-

-pation.

Brewed a pale ale around 2 weeks ago, kegged/fined with gelatin a week ago, tapped last night, and it’s very drinkable. Fermented in a bucket at 100f. I went 95% 2 row 5% c60

Bittered with Columbus whole cone first wort, cascade pellet/Amarillo whole cone 10 min and 1 min, cascade pellet/Amarillo whole cone/citra pellet at flame out

Keg hopped with a combo of cascade, citra, Amarillo

I really like Columbus as a bittering hop in this brew. It really helps give that “orange” a nice bitter bite! I’m curious to see if and how much this clears in the upcoming weeks. This is a really enjoyable brew!

Attachments

• 903E1218-D6E1-4022-83E8-671D3C277115.jpeg
    903E1218-D6E1-4022-83E8-671D3C277115.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
I've done 5 brews now with Voss Kveik and it ferments quite fast at high temperatures and slows way down at 72F (my indoor temp). I did a 4.5% wheat beer in 2 days (at up to 95F), drinking it 5 days later (keg carb).

What temperature did you ferment at, I did a mead:
  • 3.8 lbs frozen raspberry
  • 2.8 lbs wildflower honey
  • 2g Voss Kveik
  • 1 gallon spring water (made about 1.5 gallon batch, primary in 2 gal bucket, then into 1 gallon + 0.5 gallon glass)
  • pectic enzymes in primary
and it fermented from 1.098 to 1.004 in 2.5 days at 80-99F (outside in the heat) -- at which point it was deathly tart (tasty but TART).

I have since added an obscene amount more honey (~58oz more total over 4 additions) and it would just keep refermenting (at 72F), that's been about a month at which point it finally stabilized and now I'm waiting for it to clear. It's still very tart but the sweetness level has finally balanced out and it's quite good.

I haven't attempted to determine the final ABV or gravity (my hydrometer broke spontaneously when I knocked it to the ground :)

But I have a replacement now and once it's clear I will take final readings.
Dang! I wish I had read this before making the AbBEE Honey Ale -- apparently the Lalbrew Voss Kveik goes tart on honey. I used 3 lbs... I wish I had only used 1.

I tried voss kveik several times (only this type of kveik yeast is available in my homeland) and each time the beer was sour as if it were lemonade. I didn't like that at all. Since I don't have control over the fermentation temperature, voss kveik would be a great choice for the hottest summer months, but how do I get rid of that citric acid?

I tried voss kveik several times (only this type of kveik yeast is available in my homeland) and each time the beer was sour as if it were lemonade. I didn't like that at all. Since I don't have control over the fermentation temperature, voss kveik would be a great choice for the hottest summer months, but how do I get rid of that citric acid?
Strange
I have no temperature control and have been using a lot of Voss Kveik, but I don't notice any sourness.
Can you describe your process?
I make fairly light beers, 4-5 %
I maisch at 66-67°C in a coolerbox and duvet.
After cooling I keep the fermenter in a cooler box as well, just to try and level out temperature differences (day/night)

Strange
I have no temperature control and have been using a lot of Voss Kveik, but I don't notice any sourness.
Can you describe your process?
I make fairly light beers, 4-5 %
I maisch at 66-67°C in a coolerbox and duvet.
After cooling I keep the fermenter in a cooler box as well, just to try and level out temperature differences (day/night)

Almost me too. The difference is that I have BIAB and it ferments in a plastic fermenter. I used dry Kveik yeast Lallemand and M12.

Almost me too. The difference is that I have BIAB and it ferments in a plastic fermenter. I used dry Kveik yeast Lallemand and M12.

No difference there.
BIAB & plastic bucket that doesnt close too well as I have never seen any bubbles in the airlock
I used lallemand voss kveik & mangrove jack voss kveik (obviously for differrent batches). I' m sure I underpitched if compared to conventional yeasts

No difference there.
BIAB & plastic bucket that doesnt close too well as I have never seen any bubbles in the airlock
I used lallemand voss kveik & mangrove jack voss kveik (obviously for differrent batches). I' m sure I underpitched if compared to conventional yeasts

One of the things you kinda want is to underpitch to express the orangey/tangeriney esterds of the Voss Kviek.

Like, **WAY** underpitch.

Yeah, just giving my procedure as a means to find out why @Ninoid is disappointed by the taste/flavour of kveik voss
I live in a hot climate and Voss Kveik has been a life saver ;)

From my experience Voss is a yeast that is very prominent in the flavor profile of the finished beer. The first batch I brewed was orange city, with acidic properties, and nothing else really came out. So the next batch I figured why not use that to the advantage of the beer? A nice 20+ ibu fwh addition of Columbus really helped tame that. Now thing is the finished product was around 36 ibus or so. Personally I wouldn't go any lower than that in another Voss beer fermented around 100F. The other thing that's really helped this most recent batch is cold conditioning. It was good and drinkable at 1 week in the keg (after gelatin) but it's much more enjoyable after 2 weeks and has really smoothed out. Decided to give this one more week or so in the keg to round out a bit more. Will say this batch made Voss go from being a...Meh....Yeast to a very desirable yeast! So much so this will probably go on a somewhat normal rotation at the house

All the Kveik beers I've brewed were better after 3-4 weeks in the 33* lagerator. They are drinkable way earlier then most ale yeasts,but I have yet to taste the tang or offness of any Kveik when conditioned. Having a tasty beer in 3-4 weeks is amazing to me ,when most of mine are G to G in 6-8 weeks.

Anyone harvest this VOSS multi generations? I thought I read somewhere Kveik can get funky pretty quick on re harvest?

I have an extra sachet and have played with the idea of making a 1L 1.040 starter, pitching the sachet, then banking up the slurry in the freezer bank for giggles. I will say I toyed with bottle harvesting this on the last batch. This stuff was a beast! Was fired up from bottle dredges, and fully krausened, in 24 hours or so in the starter wort jar.

Anyone harvest this VOSS multi generations? I thought I read somewhere Kveik can get funky pretty quick on re harvest?
Whoever wrote that didn't know the first thing about kveiks. They have been harvested and reused for generations - human generations, not yeast generations. This evolutionary history makes them extraordinarily stable.

eta: I harvested and reused my Voss (originally from Omega) so many times I lost count. As far as I could tell it didn't change at all, even though I was bottom-harvesting and Voss is supposed to be top-cropped.

Last edited:
I brewed a 8% Stout with Voss. I currently have my fermentation fridges set at 78F and I'm on day 3. I pitched it over 100F and literally in 30 minutes I was getting movement on the air lock.

I'm thinking it will be done in a couple days.

One of the things you kinda want is to underpitch to express the orangey/tangeriney esterds of the Voss Kviek.

Like, **WAY** underpitch.

I used one bag of dry Voss yeast for one batch, as I put in the other yeasts. Would I avoid such a citrus flavor if I used half a bag or even less?

Back