LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fermenting a spiced wheat w Lallemand Voss at 95F (think azure luna). The yeast's citrus *should* fit in.

Brewed a Big Kveik Pale Ale yesterday with dry Voss. OG was 1.078, down to 1.032 24 hours later. Btw, using the SPUNDit at 30. This was a last minute brew, just winged it.
Less than 3 days since pitching, gravity is 1.007 with just a bit of bubbling now. I'll probably cold crash tomorrow.

I'm planning a Russian imperial stout brew, still a few weeks out, but hoping to get some advice here.

Is this a good yeast choice for the style?

What temperature should I ferment at?

How about mash Temps?

I'd like to get around 10% ABV but want it finish around 1.025 so it's not too sweet and not too dry. Thanks!

I've used it 8 times, avg attenuation 82%, ranging 81-85%, ABV avg 5.1% ranging 4.5-5.7%, typically mash 154, always ferment at 95F, always get orange. In order to finish at 1.025, with 10%ABV, you'd start at 1.095, but that would be about 74% attenuation. Now at that higher OG, higher ABV, Voss wouldn't attenuation as much, but I think this would be drier than you want. And while others cannot seem to get the orange, I seem to always get orange, and I don't know whether that's ok for you in a RIS.

I'm OK with or without the orange. Just curious though, how did you come up with the 74% attenuation number? I understand that a high OG beer won't attenuate as much. Have you ever brewed any high OG beers with this yeast to base that attenuation number on?

My recipe, which is very similar to other RIS recipes I've fermented with other yeasts (US-05, S-04), has a starting gravity at about 1.100. I just don't want the kveik to absolutely rip through the wort and make a hot, dry RIS. A sweet, chewy, orange RIS would be fine with me.

Wondering if I should ferment a little cooler (70ish) or at room temp (80ish). Or if I should mash high or low...

Yeah, I'm not trying for orange, but I certainly wouldn't dump the batch if Kveik gave off some orange flavors.

I tried a full on orange chocolate RIS from Southern Tier that was decent. A quick Google search reveals several more from Bourbon County, Breckenridge Brewery, and others.

Of course I might feel different if I had a keg full of it...

The last two holiday seasons I've done gingerbread porters with Voss. The hint of orange works well.

And yes, that's Kvack in my avatar.

I'm OK with or without the orange. Just curious though, how did you come up with the 74% attenuation number? I understand that a high OG beer won't attenuate as much. Have you ever brewed any high OG beers with this yeast to base that attenuation number on?

apparent attenuation is (OG-FG)/OG when OG/FG are done as points, eg, 1.094 is 94. You wanted to finish at 1.025 so I ran FG as 1.025, and you wanted a 10%ABV. That requires the OG be 1.101 to get 10% with 1.101 to 1.025. Use (101-25)/101 and you get 74% apparent attenuation.

I've not done high OG with Lalbrew Voss.

Mash higher to finish higher FG, yes.

I guess I wasn't very clear. I understand how to calculate attenuation. And yes, 1.100 down to 1.025 is my stated goal.

I was wondering if you came up with that number from experience with the yeast actually attenuating to 74% in high gravity beers or if you just stated the number based on the information I provided.I see now that you don't have experience using this yeast with similar high gravity beers.

I think I'll just have to experiment with it myself. I know what other yeasts will do in a similar wort. For example, I know that I need to mash a little low to get US-05 to ferment a big beer down even though it attenuates at a much higher percentage in lower gravity worts. And with S-04, it sometimes struggles when the alcohol gets too high and wants to drop pretty fast.

Im curious how this yeast will compare. Not in a better or worse kind of way, but more so how does it need to be handled to get the desired results. I'll be sure to share my findings.

apologies for any offense

I've not used at the higher OG for any yeast as I tend toward the lower end of ABV-ville myself.

Curious to see what happens when you experiment.

Well, I cracked my first one after only a week of bottle conditioning. Needs some time to carb up, but it’s well enough to drink. The orange was much more restrained and stayed a bit more out of the way. It’s there, but subtle. It should clear up beautifully after a week or two in the fridge, as well.
I'm gonna go ahead and quote myself and build off my experience.
Love this brew. I wouldn't think twice about brewing this again using the exact recipe and pitch rate. It has just enough orange to give it that uniquely voss flavor, but the hop flavor and sensation is still there. For a blonde ale coming in at 4.5%, and based on my prior voss brew I purposely hopped (tettnang, cent, Calista) it higher than I normally would for a blonde. I'm really happy where it ended up, especially considering it was an open packet left in my brew fridge for a year. And considering the somewhat quick turnaround, it doesn't have that green beer/yeasty taste to it I had experienced last year.

Care to share any details on OG, FG, and temps?
The Christmas gingerbread porter is the only big beer I do. IIRC, it starts in the mid 60s and finishes in the upper teens. I have a small heating mat that keeps it around 30-32C/86-90F.

apologies for any offense

I've not used at the higher OG for any yeast as I tend toward the lower end of ABV-ville myself.

Curious to see what happens when you experiment.
None taken! I didn't mean any offense either. Apologies if I came across as being rude. I was just trying to be very clear. I really appreciate your input and I'll be sure to update with my findings.

I'll probably just treat it like a warmer fermenting US-05 and see where that takes me. My friend has some experience using it at his brewery so I'll pick his brain about it too.

I was wondering if you came up with that number from experience with the yeast actually attenuating to 74% in high gravity beers or if you just stated the number based on the information I provided.
The Christmas gingerbread porter is the only big beer I do. IIRC, it starts in the mid 60s and finishes in the upper teens. I have a small heating mat that keeps it around 30-32C/86-90F.

he got 71%

I'm going to be brewing a Hazy Pale, 1.047 roughly. Should I underpitch with half a pack or just use the whole yeast pack? I thought I may have read somewhere about this?

I brewed this yesterday morning. Pitched full pack at 95 degrees at 11am. Blowoff was bubbling in just over an hour and had krausen by 2PM. I checked it this morning before I left for work and the krausen already fell. I'm going to let it sit a few days before I check my FG.

I can't believe how fast this yeast works and how forgiving it is.

Thinking about brewing a classic DIPA tomorrow using 1 pack of this in a 6 gal batch. Can this stuff rip through 1.085? Probably let it sit around 85F.

Omega liquid VOSS yeast

Edit: I guess i can't call it classic using farmhouse?

Thinking about brewing a classic DIPA tomorrow using 1 pack of this in a 6 gal batch. Can this stuff rip through 1.085? Probably let it sit around 85F.

Omega liquid VOSS yeast

Edit: I guess i can't call it classic using farmhouse?

I think you'll be fine, although if you don't want the characteristic orange esters, you may want to use more yeast. YMMV.

Just kegged a Voss cream ale and I'm not super pleased. I let it sit in primary for 3 to 4 weeks and clumps of yeast were floating at various levels the primary. I use a brew bucket with a fixed internal syphon, so I couldn't avoid the chunks. Dragged probably a cup of yeast into the keg. Ugh.

Think I just had my first infection. Used Dried Kveik. Fermented way too dry. Tried to add dry hops to offset it. Nope. Its bad. First dumper. Oh well.

Just kegged a Voss cream ale and I'm not super pleased. I let it sit in primary for 3 to 4 weeks and clumps of yeast were floating at various levels the primary. I use a brew bucket with a fixed internal syphon, so I couldn't avoid the chunks. Dragged probably a cup of yeast into the keg. Ugh.
Don't let them know what you think about it, or they'll never make beer for you again.

None taken! I didn't mean any offense either. Apologies if I came across as being rude. I was just trying to be very clear. I really appreciate your input and I'll be sure to update with my findings.

I'll probably just treat it like a warmer fermenting US-05 and see where that takes me. My friend has some experience using it at his brewery so I'll pick his brain about it too.

Well. After all my concern about attenuation, due to my own (limited) samples, I got a an outlier (to my own data).
I did a Blue Moon -ish and whether it was the percentage of wheat or the higher mash temp (more likely) I got only 68% app. atten.
47% 2-row
38% white wheat
9% flaked oats
6% carapils
5.0gal into fermenter, full volume BIAB mash, 25qt, 158F/45m, boil 30, 3.6 gram Lalbrew Voss Kveik dry, 95F ferment
1.046 OG 1.015 FG.

Well. After all my concern about attenuation, due to my own (limited) samples, I got a an outlier (to my own data).
I did a Blue Moon -ish and whether it was the percentage of wheat or the higher mash temp (more likely) I got only 68% app. atten.
47% 2-row
38% white wheat
9% flaked oats
6% carapils
5.0gal into fermenter, full volume BIAB mash, 25qt, 158F/45m, boil 30, 3.6 gram Lalbrew Voss Kveik dry, 95F ferment
1.046 OG 1.015 FG.
For kveik standards, this is a very low og. They are used to high og worts and might perform not within their optimum range when confronted with a low og and therefore also low nutrient amount.

For kveik standards, this is a very low og. They are used to high og worts and might perform not within their optimum range when confronted with a low og and therefore also low nutrient amount.

I (almost) always add 2gm Brewcraft Yeast Nutrient to any Kveik fermentation, but maybe should up it. These are the numbers for my other Kveik fermentations:
1632062051770.png

I get terrible results when I do short mashes. I realize that would impact efficiency and starting gravity but wonder if it could also negatively affect attenuation, possibly indirectly?

That mash temp is much higher than what I usually do. I usually hold at 147ish for 60-90 minutes often times with other rests and mash out adjustments.

Oh well... Put an orange in it and you'll have a nice chewy, orange slicey, session beer :) Or dry hop the **** out of it and make it more like a session NEIPA.

I (almost) always add 2gm Brewcraft Yeast Nutrient to any Kveik fermentation, but maybe should up it. These are the numbers for my other Kveik fermentations:
View attachment 742899
Thanks for sharing your data! It make me feel better about my own spreadsheets, which I actually quite enjoy creating and looking at.

Anyway, after looking at your recipe again, the carapils probably didn't cause the low attenuation but I don't think it helped it.

I get terrible results when I do short mashes. I realize that would impact efficiency and starting gravity but wonder if it could also negatively affect attenuation, possibly indirectly?

DO you BIAB and grind to fine flour?
That's what I do. Conversion is done pretty quickly, but I have noticed flavor impact, esp w darker grains, w shorter than 30m mashes w my process.

[edit: I am fairly certain the high mash temp had the most effect on atten]

I don't. I use an old grinder (and a cooler mash tun) that definitely doesn't maximize efficiency. It's good enough though and I know what to expect with it. I live in Asia and plan to move back to America before too long so don't want to invest in too much equipment that I won't be able to keep.

Is your beer at least tasty?

I don't. I use an old grinder (and a cooler mash tun) that definitely doesn't maximize efficiency. It's good enough though and I know what to expect with it. I live in Asia and plan to move back to America before too long so don't want to invest in too much equipment that I won't be able to keep.

Is your beer at least tasty?

Worst beer yet was using a 4th gen Lutra Pils (OmegaYeastLabs071) on a Cascade session pale - came out musty and lacking Cascade flavor. Not undrinkable, but not something I proudly shared w anyone.

Understand not wanting to bulk up possessions prior to moving, that is wise on your part.

As to attenuation, I thought maybe the wheat, but could just be coincidence, as it's the first recipe with Voss that had wheat, but was also first one mashed high. Other brew day specs were unremarkable. For instance (since you like spreadsheets)

1632063702721.png

Thanks.... with C hops it's should blend nicely right? The orange esters?

Sounds good to me. I have just a little left of my Voss Pale Ale featuring Citra and Cascade. It is a wonderful beer and I will be sad when I pull that last pint...though with about a week turn around I could have a replacement back on tap!

The Voss Kveik, underpitch (3.6gm in 5gal batch) ferment 95F, wheat beer, like Blue Moon, I'll call it "Viking Lunatic" came out nicely after a week at 30F in the keg. The citrus is kinda darkish orange kinda coriander spice kinda little tiny funk, but crisp and nice. Here's a pic:
1632419682770.png

I hate it when I go to take a picture and the subject changes between button press and shutter action.

I brewed my Russian Imperial stout 5 days ago. Mashed between 145-147F (63-64C) for 90 minutes. I pitched one pack, fermented at about 75F (24C), let it rise up to about 85F (29C) and it appears to have reached terminal gravity.

OG 1.095
FG 1.026
(apparent attenuation 72.6%)

Once it got going, it fermented like crazy for about 24 hours! I was afraid I was going to regret not having a blow off tube. Absolute rapid fire bubbles in the airlock! It was comical.

I was originally going to add sugar to bring the OG up to 1.100 but decided against it in the end. I was afraid it might finish too dry.

No tasting notes yet. I'll report back again later!

I brewed my Russian Imperial stout 5 days ago. Mashed between 145-147F (63-64C) for 90 minutes. I pitched one pack, fermented at about 75F (24C), let it rise up to about 85F (29C) and it appears to have reached terminal gravity.

OG 1.095
FG 1.026
(apparent attenuation 72.6%)

Once it got going, it fermented like crazy for about 24 hours! I was afraid I was going to regret not having a blow off tube. Absolute rapid fire bubbles in the airlock! It was comical.

I was originally going to add sugar to bring the OG up to 1.100 but decided against it in the end. I was afraid it might finish too dry.

No tasting notes yet. I'll report back again later!
You should have gotten a video of that, just so people know what we mean by super active ferment.

Think I just had my first infection. Used Dried Kveik. Fermented way too dry. Tried to add dry hops to offset it. Nope. Its bad. First dumper. Oh well.
,QUOTE="Gusso, post: 9164725, member: 292335"]

Turns out that I didn't dump it. It finished at 1.008 but it was very, very light in flavor. I think it was due too fermenting at too high pressure (30 psi). After adding a big dry hop to the keg, it's now drinkable. Certainly not my best beer but it's high abv (10%) and gets me buzzed!

Your so close to 10% I would give it a honey addition just because 9.98% doesn't sit well with me.:D
At 1.026 your a long way from finishing too dry. For me that would be pushing the upper limit for my weird palate as being too sweet but that is just me.

Back