Lager Yeast Starter WLP 810

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oventoasted

Reaction score
So, i want to make a lager using the San Francisco WLP810 yeast strain but, i have never made a starter for a lager before. I have some concerns though before getting started.

1. Starter temp for lager strains something i should be concerned about? the packet says it can go up to 70°F. which my house is below that currently but, should the starter temp be at what the recommended fermenting temp calls for 50-55°F?

2. I only have the one packet. A starter for a 5.5 Gal batch is calling for a 2L starter with 2 packets of the yeast. Is there a trick i can do to achieve the 2L starter with the 1 packet?

3. I have a 2L erlenmeyer flask and stir plate. Never made a 2L starter with this guy. So, is filling it almost to the top asking for a big mess? I have a strange feeling ill need more head space for a starter.

Thanks for any advice given on the topics! :mug:

1. Starter temperature doesn't matter, after all, you're growing yeast not making a batch of beer. Yeast grows more efficiently at warmer temperatures, so about 70 degrees would be great.

2. Sure. Just do a smaller starter with 1 packet, then step it up with another addition. Or make a bigger starter at the start. If you use mrmalty.com, there is an option for using less yeast packs.

3. Oh, yes, it'll boil over violently if you do a 2L starter in a 2L flask.

1. Starter temperature doesn't matter, after all, you're growing yeast not making a batch of beer. Yeast grows more efficiently at warmer temperatures, so about 70 degrees would be great.

2. Sure. Just do a smaller starter with 1 packet, then step it up with another addition. Or make a bigger starter at the start. If you use mrmalty.com, there is an option for using less yeast packs.

3. Oh, yes, it'll boil over violently if you do a 2L starter in a 2L flask.

Thanks for all the info! First things first though. I'm going to need a bigger flask! :D

Starters are all about cell density so 2 packs in 2L is the same density as 1 pack in 1L. Lower density is actually better for yeast propagation. If you are going to get a larger flask, get a 5L. You can do 1 pack in 1L, chill, decant, then re-propagate that into a 5L flask.

Assuming fresh yeast with a stir plate the 1st starter will yield about 222 billion cells and the 2nd will bump that up to 733 billion. You need about 400 billion for a 5 gallon batch.

Alternatively, you could do the single pack in a single 5L starter and yield about 465 billion cells.

Either way will give you what you need and that is without any O2 injection.

I just made a California common with wlp810 and my starter was done at room temp without issue. I normally do two step starters with equal additions of second runnings from the previous batch boiled down to raise the sg. 24 hours later I repeat this process and in 36-48 hours have a very active 2-2.5L starter. I then harvest about 500ml and pitch.

Back