Lager : Too much oxy-san?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose1231

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have prepared my yeast starter yesterday to make a Dopplebock, a lager. I used the yeast WLP838. I am planning to chill my wort to 16C and pitch the starter before putting the carboy in the fermentation room (10-12C).

When I made my starter, I pitched the yeast but some yeast stayed in the container so I took some sanetized water (with oxy-san) and without thinking about it, put it in the yeast container, shake and pour the rest in the fermenter.

Today, I observed that the starter is showing slow signs of fermentation (1 bubble after 45 sec) after almost 24 H. My starter temps is at 16C

I am scared that the oxy-san killed part of the yeast.

My question is : Should I make another starter and delayed brew day? Was planning to brew in 2 days. Will the slow start of the starter affect the final product?

Thanks

Oxy detergent cleaner mixed with StarSan? The StarSan by itself *might* be alright but I would not want any cleaner in my wort/beer.
Also, if you used a starter and are only getting that much action out of your airlock, I would personally be concerned

Quickly, before zee Germans get 'ere...

No, Oxy-san is like StarSan. Anyway, I did my starter and used it anyway. The beer is fermenting well with a lag time of about 6hr.

Back