Lager Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboys3

Reaction score
Well after last night when the fermentation on my lager took off within the first 2 hours I was excited.I made a starter from a wyeast 2035 propagator pack pitched it @ 6:15 pm and by 8:15 the airlock was starting to move, by 11:00 it was going wild and the scent coming from the airlock was wonderfull. Then when I got home from work today opened the basement door and what the heck was that god alwful smell coming out of the airlock that was in the room. after a few moments of pure panic I did some searches on this site and found that this was sometimes normal with lagers? My question is how long will the sulfur smell last? it is in a 50 degree basement, and it is a american style lager(bud clone). man at this point I cant even imagine what the end result will be with the way it smells right now! Hope we don't have to evacuate the house.

Flyboys3

it is a american style lager(bud clone). man at this point I cant even imagine what the end result will be with the way it smells right now!

Well, it's a Bud clone, so the end result won't be good even under the best of circumstances. ;)

As Shrek quoted in the movie "Better out than in!"

Your beer will be all rhino farted out within a day or two. Don't worry about nasty smells from fermentation. The only time to judge your beer is when it has been properly lagered and conditioned in bottle.

You'll be amazed. It will also blow away any Bud you have had.

Man I hope so! Cause right now the boss has not said anything but after she walked downstairs I can tell it is coming. And in this wanna-be brewery if the queen aint happy.....none of her peasents are either!

Back