Lager - Pitched 60 hrs ago - no fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWalters

Reaction score
This is my first Lager, I know they take a bit longer to begin fermentation. It's been over 60 hrs, should I be worried.

Temp is 68 degree, yeast smack pack/activator.

This is my first Lager, I know they take a bit longer to begin fermentation. It's been over 60 hrs, should I be worried.

Temp is 60 degree, yeast smack pack/activator.

First, just a note, but a single activator pack is underpitching for a lager. Most here will recomend pitching a healthy stater.

Second, are you sure there is no fermentation, or are you basing this on airlock activity only?

-Todd

I purchased the kit through MidWest. I'm new to all this so forgive my ignorance.

I'm using a 6.5 glass carboy, so I can tell that there's no activity.

The temp is now at 68.

It's been almost five days and still no activity. I read in a thread somewhere to sprinkle some dry yeast on top of the wort, so I did so today. I hope this works, any thoughts?

Well, I assume you used dry lager yeast? I guess that would work ok. It's not any help now, but next time make sure you make a large yeast starter and have healthy viable yeast before pitching. Lagers aren't difficult, but because they ferment cool, you must use a big starter and really encourage the yeast.

What is the SG now? (I would never add more yeast, or assume it wasn't going without taking an SG- but you could take one now and it would be ok).

This is a weired thought...I've never brewed lagers, but Lager yeast is bottom fermenting, right? So, what does lager activity look like in a carboy? I take it there's no krauzen on top, correct? Since it's the first lager, could the OP simply be expecting to see a krauzen where there isn't supposed to be one? Yooper, anyone?

Could it already have fermented out?

This is a weired thought...I've never brewed lagers, but Lager yeast is bottom fermenting, right? So, what does lager activity look like in a carboy? I take it there's no krauzen on top, correct? Since it's the first lager, could the OP simply be expecting to see a krauzen where there isn't supposed to be one? Yooper, anyone?

Could it already have fermented out?

Yeah, that's my thought. You really can't SEE fermentation, but there are some signs. Usually a krausen, but small, and lumpy, and usually it'll clear after it's done. I don't know for sure, though, because I haven't really watched it. I put it in the lagerator for about 12 days and ignore it before taking a sample before the diacetyl rest.

At 68 degrees, though, it could have fermented out pretty quickly. I doubt there wouldn't be any signs at all if it did ferment, but that's why I asked about the SG.

What kind of yeast did you use originally?

I too am quite curious of the OP's beer's gravity. Have any hydrometer readings been taken?

Yeah, that's my thought. You really can't SEE fermentation, but there are some signs. Usually a krausen, but small, and lumpy, and usually it'll clear after it's done.
I fermented my lager at 50-55F. Here's what kraeusen looked like after two days:

bubbles1.jpg

It took several days to fall. Here it is on day 15:

kraeusen_070708.jpg

I also made a 3 quart starter almost a week ahead of time.

-Joe

Unfortunately I didn't get a good hydro reading. I'd take one now, but I can see the yeast sitting on the top of the wort and I don't want to disturb the process. The first yeast was the White Labs Octoberfest Wyeast Activator. Then I sprinkled a Lager yeast over the top today.

I've been a bit confused by all the theories about brewing a lager. Especially about the first couple of days when fermentation should begin. Should it be in 64-68 temps until fermentation begins?

Two other unrelated questions:

1) How many 5 gallon kegs should a 5lbs co2 be good for?

2) Where is the best placement for a temp Controller Probe to be placed in a chest freezer? Should it be hanging in the middle not touching anything, or should it be touching a side wall?

Thanks for all the help.
-C

Unfortunately I didn't get a good hydro reading. I'd take one now, but I can see the yeast sitting on the top of the wort and I don't want to disturb the process. The first yeast was the White Labs Octoberfest Wyeast Activator. Then I sprinkled a Lager yeast over the top today.

I've been a bit confused by all the theories about brewing a lager. Especially about the first couple of days when fermentation should begin. Should it be in 64-68 temps until fermentation begins?

Two other unrelated questions:

1) How many 5 gallon kegs should a 5lbs co2 be good for?

2) Where is the best placement for a temp Controller Probe to be placed in a chest freezer? Should it be hanging in the middle not touching anything, or should it be touching a side wall?

Thanks for all the help.
-C

You won't bother anything if you take a hydro reading now- the yeast is not a worry. It'd be good to know where you are in fermentation, especially since you suspect that you've had none. This would also give you a chance to taste the wort, and make sure that no infection has had a chance to set it.

With lagers, I'm firmly in the pitch at fermentation temperature camp. Of course, I also make enormous starters so that I am not underpitching. My reasoning is probably not real scientific- I pitch my ales at fermentation temps, too. If the temperature is 65, I pitch at 65. I don't pitch at 90 degrees, then turn it down. Same with lagers- I don't pitch 20 degrees warmer and then turn it down- it seems like fermentation would take hold before you could actually get the wort to 50 degrees. I bet it's divided pretty evenly among brewers though with about half pitching warm and then lowering the temperature.

As far as the co2 tank, I don't really know. I filled this one several months ago, and have plenty left. So at least 8-10 kegs for me. But I don't use alot by turning up the pressure and purging. I just usually keep my kegs at about 12 psi.

I woke up this forming to find that the Lager now has good signs of fermentation (Krausening). Sprinkling the yeast did the trick. So should I place the carboy in the chest freezer now, keeping the temp around 55 degree?

My lager took a week to get going, but it took right off after that. Those lagers yeasts are a different breed, you really gotta learn to be patient, as if learning to be patient with ales wasn't hard enough.

I allowed a 36 hour diacetyl rest, then racked to a secondary where it's now been for four days @ 40 degrees, the S.G. has dropped from 1.026 to 1.020, I'll recheck it in 5-7 days to see if it Lowers more. The kits F.G. should be around 1.012-14, so It's getting close.

Latest posts

Back