Lager or no Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I've been brewing ales for a while now, and haven't started lagering because I don't have the space or equipment currently to do so. I'm dying to make a doppelbock or some other heavy lager. I was wondering, if I made up a recipe for a doppelbock, but substituted ale yeast for lager yeast, what would happen?

I know if I do this, it won't really taste anything like a doppelbock, I'm just wondering if its possible and could possibly give some good results.

Try fermenting with Koelsch yeast around 60-62 degrees, fine before bottling/kegging, and lager for a couple of weeks in the bottle or keg - that should make a pretty reasonable faux Doppelbock.

You won't be able to duplicate a lager, but you can come close. Go to the White Labs website and look at the descriptions for the different strains. Pick one that can withstand cooler temps and gives a clean flavor profile. I have never used it, but the WLP810 lager yeast might be a good choice. I pasted the description from the web site below. I'm sure Wyeast has an equivalent if you can't get White Labs.. Hope this helps. :mug:

"This yeast is used to produce the "California Common" style beer. A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics. Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers."

Back