lager-no signs of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joselastra

Reaction score
I brewed up a rauchbier Friday night. Extract style, with a liquid yeast(white labs German lager) it was pitched at 73 degrees. Im still to yet see any signs of fermentation in the airlock. It's been in my garage at 40-45 degrees. Is this to cold? Did I f it up when I moved it to the basement which was 56 then moved it back to the garage? Does that temp swing do anything harmful? The only thing I wasn't happy w on brew day was the fact that it took a while to cool.the wort.

I brewed up a rauchbier Friday night. Extract style, with a liquid yeast(white labs German lager) it was pitched at 73 degrees. Im still to yet see any signs of fermentation in the airlock. It's been in my garage at 40-45 degrees. Is this to cold? Did I f it up when I moved it to the basement which was 56 then moved it back to the garage? Does that temp swing do anything harmful? The only thing I wasn't happy w on brew day was the fact that it took a while to cool.the wort.

How many liters of starter did you do?

Yeah well being a newbie, no starter was used. I've brewed using a liquid yeast before w no prob. That was an ale however? If I open up the fermenter, what should I see? This is my first lager

Yeah well being a newbie, no starter was used. I've brewed using a liquid yeast before w no prob. That was an ale however? If I open up the fermenter, what should I see? This is my first lager

Well, you could try keeping it at 50 degrees- 40 is too low. Do you have a stick-on thermometer on the fermenter to see what the temperature is of the liquid inside?

I'd probably bring it back to where the room temperature is in the 50s if you can do it.

Lagers are finicky, and generally need at least twice as much yeast as an ale. However, since you pitched it warm it might have reproduced enough to give you enough yeast.

The first thing to do is to check the SG and see if it's changing.

I can do that, I have a stick on. I'll check the temp when I get back. Should I be looking got any signs when I open the bucket to take a reading?

I can do that, I have a stick on. I'll check the temp when I get back. Should I be looking got any signs when I open the bucket to take a reading?

Well, if you have krausen that will be obvious. Otherwise, just seeing if the hydrometer reading has changed will help determine the next step.

Absolutely no signs of krausen. what gives?? temp on sticker was about 44-45, outside temp was 43

Absolutely no signs of krausen. what gives?? temp on sticker was about 44-45, outside temp was 43

That be a tad too cold for your yeast strain. I never heard of White Labs German Lager yeast, but if you go to White Lab's website, all the strains are listed and they'll tell you the fermentation temperature. I'm thinking it's got to be 48-55ish, if it's like most lager yeast.

The other thing is that by not using a starter and just pitching it into the wort, you underpitched the yeast by a lot. I know they say "pitchable" on the vial, but that really isn't quite true especially for a lager yeast.

You can try bringing it to a warmer place and seeing if it'll get going.

will do. thanks for the help. how long should I wait to see IF it gets going?? If it doesnt, is the batch garbage?

will do. thanks for the help. how long should I wait to see IF it gets going?? If it doesnt, is the batch garbage?

No, it's not garbage! Assuming your sanitation was good, it should be fine.

Since it's been nearly a week, though, I'd get it somewhere in the mid 50s if possible, and if it's not showing any signs of starting, but two or three vials of fresh yeast and pitch those.

Lol, I didn't literally mean garbage. That sounds good though, I may just pick up some vials anyway and pitch them. If I can't get liquid, can I pitch dry yeast? How many yeast packs you think would be needed?

Can I pitch dry German lager? No liquid yeast for another few days at least at the brew shop. Sg is 1:050

UPDATE

so i repitched, the sample is bubbling away with alot of movement and alot of krausen. The primary is beginning to show signs of krausen. Its been about 22 hrs.

Back